Innovative Marine Aquariums

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may or may not be getting a piece of this very soon!

Nice! It is one of the last few I am looking for. Where are you getting it from?

Your tank is looking really good. It's really starting to fill in nicely. keep it up.

Thanks Steely! Yours is by far the nicer of the two though.

• 2 weeks later...
What's going on in the 60 cube SoCal?

Not much. After buying the mandarin and yellow coris wrasse the tank is on grow mode. I don't really want to spend much money on it since I will be heading down to Peru for research again and don't want to lose my money if someone happens. I took the pellets offline and things seem to be ok. I added some gfo to my TLF reactor and algae growth in minimal. I am getting too much coraline algae on the glass. I might get an urchin to help combat it while I am away.

My acros are coloring up nicely and growth seems to be to somewhere between slow and good in pace. I will have to get off my butt and post some new pics sooner or later. I have been busy applying for grants and getting ready for my excavations down in Peru.

Research....Peru.....Excavation.......

Indiana Jones???

+1, I concur.

b8c75245624b3ff3d4fd7b161dad1388.jpg

lol. That is pretty much it. I am looking for a site to excavate for my dissertation. My fiancé will be looking after the tank while I am gone. She did a good job last year so I am hoping this year will go the same. I love coming home after two months and seeing all the growth!

• 3 weeks later...
Arkayology

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

Please excuse the plastic container. It is housing baby nems. Also, I haven't scraped coralline in awhile, which has taken on plague proportions lol.

I haven't updated in a month or so. I have been super busy. Things with the tank are going well. I took my biopellets offline two months ago, but recently put them back on. I did not see any difference in coral growth or color, but saw a increase in undesirable algae growth... So... I put them back online at half the amount as before. I think it will work well with carbon.

The tank is on grow mode right now. I took out a rock that I had since my 20H was up. It was overgrown with GSP and it was stinging my SPS. I like the more open look and it gives my SPS colonies some room to grow. Everything is doing well; moderate growth on everything. My new yellow coris wrasse is doing well, while the green mandarin up and died one day for no reason that I could see. It was eating PE mysis and brine well and didn't show any sign of being picked on. I also had my carpenter wrasse jump out of the tank, leaving me with 8 fish and wishing I had made a mesh top. That is at the top of my to-do list.

In other news, my GBTA of almost three years finally split! I not have 4 tiny GBTA in my tank and three of them need good homes lol. If anyone wants a clone, I am selling them cheap :). No plans on buying anything new until I get back from field research in August. I have a couple ideas for new SPS, but I am not sharing anything until later :)

Sorry for your fish losses :-(. Your tank looks great though. I'm jealous of all of that coralline. Stop teasing us on your SPS plans!

I just started using Oyster Feast. I love the polyp extension after each use. Makes me fell like I did the right thing! :)

Arkayology

Thanks. I really like the open feel of the tank after removing that rock. I hated the GSP so much that I couldn't stand it lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Arkayology

I leave in 2 weeks for a 2 research project in Peru. I hope my tank will be ok under my fiancé's care.

Also, I kinda want to get a kole or bristletooth tang. On a scale of 1-10, how bad would the tang police be after me? :P

I leave in 2 weeks for a 2 research project in Peru. I hope my tank will be ok under my fiancé's care.

Also, I kinda want to get a kole or bristletooth tang. On a scale of 1-10, how bad would the tang police be after me? :P

Send them to me, I got a yellow in a 40b. Its fine when they are small, I think tang police are over hyped.

Tang police aside I wouldn't. The problem is just swimming area. I notice it to some degree in my 75 with my Tomini. As your corals start to grow the swimming space just decreases and you may start to notice increased aggression by the tang as a result.

Arkayology

All good points... I guess I will wait to get a tang until I finish my Ph.D and get a job to set up the 120g my fiancé doesn't know I am going to buy for a "ya I am a professor now" present to myself. :D

I will post some pics of the tank before I leave for Peru and then when I get back in 2 months. I think it will make for an awesome growth update.

Also... I bought a really cool new glass scrapper called "flipper", which is made by someone in Santa Barbara. It works very well. My tank looks so much better with clean class. I am so glad to not have to stick my hands in the tank to scrap coraline now... There was a cloud of purple in my tank scrapping. I found it weird that my leopard wrasses love to eat the coraline flakes floating around.

All good points... I guess I will wait to get a tang until I finish my Ph.D and get a job to set up the 120g my fiancé doesn't know I am going to buy for a "ya I am a professor now" present to myself. :D

I will post some pics of the tank before I leave for Peru and then when I get back in 2 months. I think it will make for an awesome growth update.

Also... I bought a really cool new glass scrapper called "flipper", which is made by someone in Santa Barbara. It works very well. My tank looks so much better with clean class. I am so glad to not have to stick my hands in the tank to scrap coraline now... There was a cloud of purple in my tank scrapping. I found it weird that my leopard wrasses love to eat the coraline flakes floating around.

You are doing it wrong, first the 120 for post doc present then 200 for assistant prof, then 500 at tenure.

Arkayology
You are doing it wrong, first the 120 for post doc present then 200 for assistant prof, then 500 at tenure.

Very true! I will have to work that into the plan that the fiancé does not know about. :D

I haven't been able to buy anything for the tank in the last two months. I really want to get those last couple of SPS pieces to complete my fuzzy stick garden. Though, it is nice after a two month absence to come home and see everything grew an inch or two!

Last pics of the tank for two months will be posted before I leave on Friday for Peru.

Archived