Coral Vue Hydros

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

How often are you feeding. Feed a little heavier. Your colors may get a little deeper as result of feeding your fish more often. I feed about 1-2 times a day when using my biopellets. In the past with my old 40 I wasn't feeding much (every other day) with biopellets and everything was pretty pale/pastel as a result.

One thing I have also noticed with milli is that when my pH runs higher 8.3-8.4 range rather than 8-8.2 range I tend to get better polyp extension. Flow is important but I think some milli's are more sensitive to water chemistry than others. It may be something to look into.

I think I am going to experiment with a frag of the green mille in different places to see if it is a chemistry, light, or flow thing. I am getting great PE from most of my across, but there are a couple that are not happy at the moment due probably to the lack of nutrients and too high lighting. I feed pretty heavily, twice a day with mysis, brine, and pellets/flake. Thanks for the info on the ph and milles. I will look into that.

Actually, I take the kiddies up to the zoo a couple time a year. We also want to start going to the beach there now. Ventura beach has too many less than desirables there. Cholos and Hell's Angels and such. <_<

Well, let me know when you are in the area and maybe we can trade from frags or something.

I understand, it definently seems washed out from center, and The sides have great color.

I mentioned light cuz on mine I dropped from 100% peak, to 75%. Already seeing much more polyp extension, colors always been good.

I'm waiting on a final build for new mounting arms from Chris over at Pico Aquariums. Let me find a sneak peak. Check my thread in a bit

I'll check out your thread and see what you have going on with the mounting arms. I am ok with my arms/cables things, but I really do need to clean it up a bit.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there neighbor (I guess I can say that now).

I remember the switch to led and I had some things react funny after a couple of months. Moved them around and tried different spots until they started looking better. In the end, everything responded well to the setup I had.

Hey there neighbor (I guess I can say that now).

I remember the switch to led and I had some things react funny after a couple of months. Moved them around and tried different spots until they started looking better. In the end, everything responded well to the setup I had.

Ya... I am not sure if I can say this is a water quality. It must be flow and/or lighting. I am going to order some reef epoxy and move the colony to the other side of the tank where the other milles are. The new mini colonies are doing very well on the frag rack. Great PE during the day, insane PE and night, and encrusting nicely. Pretty soon I am going to lower the intensity of the Radion to 50% and place them to see how they do.

See the pic I posted?

Very cool brackets you got there.

• 2 weeks later...
cruzH20polo

dude your pictures are looking a lot better!

tank is looking awesome

how much Mtech are you dosing, what test kit do you use for Mg?

dude your pictures are looking a lot better!

tank is looking awesome

how much Mtech are you dosing, what test kit do you use for Mg?

Thanks bud! The new DSLR helps a lot. I really want to get a macro lens to show off my SPS.

I don't test for Mg. I know, not good, but I just squirted some in every day until I started seeing an effect. Maybe 3 capfuls a day for a week and then 2 a day after that?

I am thinking about using Oyster Feast to try and increase PE and get some better colors out of my SPS. What do people think about this product? Reviews are mixed. I've used roti-feast in the past and it really didn't do anything.

I am thinking about using Oyster Feast to try and increase PE and get some better colors out of my SPS. What do people think about this product? Reviews are mixed. I've used roti-feast in the past and it really didn't do anything.

hmm.. that mille doesn't look too happy.

I still have a full bottle of Oyster feast left, I think it will expire before I get to use even 1/3. I was dosing two drops 2-3times a week, which eventually resulted in algae bloom, particularly GHA. I didn't noticed any difference in my SPS, well besides them turning brown.

hmm.. that mille doesn't look too happy.

I still have a full bottle of Oyster feast left, I think it will expire before I get to use even 1/3. I was dosing two drops 2-3times a week, which eventually resulted in algae bloom, particularly GHA. I didn't noticed any difference in my SPS, well besides them turning brown.

Ya, the mille colony had some flatworms on it, not the AEFW type, but enough to irritate it and cause poor PE/fillaments that you saw in the pic. I did an iodine dip and the flatworms fell off. Now the colony is bleached/brown. It will take away for it to recover.

I did pick up a nice frag of strawberry shortcake and bonsai from Vivid over the weekend. Spent quite a bit on the two, but I am only looking for certain pieces now. The corals from Vivid that I have bought in the past always have great PE and steady growth, so that is why I pay a bit more than from locals (I am a big fan of local frag swaps)

I have a piece of strawberry shortcake as well. The parent colony is gorgeous but the frag wasn't under the greatest lighting at the LFS in their display tank. Hopefully it will color back up nicely for me.

+1 to the midas blenny. I have one in my tank and it is one of the most interesting and beautiful fish I have ever kept!

Thats my next purchase, and forest fire Digitata.

I have a frag of forest fire digi. It is not growing at all, but it colored up nicely. Maybe with some more time...

I have a frag of forest fire digi. It is not growing at all, but it colored up nicely. Maybe with some more time...

Im sure it will settle in eventually and really take off. Your tank looks like its doing awesome so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Im sure it will settle in eventually and really take off. Your tank looks like its doing awesome so I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

We will see. Thanks for the vote of confidence lol.

I decided to take my biopellets offline to see how my SPS react. Even with my heavy feeding, I am not sure my SPS colors are the best they could be. This JNS bp reactor and biopellets did too good of a job.

Ive heard a lot of good things about bio pellets, can I replace my GFO and use bio pellets in the reactor instead?

It is worth a shot. I can say that they do work. You just have to make sure to not to put too many in. I think I will just take them offline for a week or two as to see if the loss of color in a couple of my acros is due to the BP.

Let me know your results cause I'm very interested in making the switch. What happens if you add to much? Alk spikes?

If you add too much, the bacteria that grow on the pellets will strip your water of nutrients and your SPS will pale or STN

Archived