Pod Your Reef

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

If you add too much, the bacteria that grow on the pellets will strip your water of nutrients and your SPS will pale or STN

I gotcha! Thank for the Info. Let me know what you test brings I'm interested to see. They do sound like they can keep your water amazing though. Do you use carbon or chemipure also?

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

I've just about had it with ORA products, especially plasma, 2nd stn/rtn I've encountered, this time I'm happy to let it go, less stressful. Worst is I don't know y...l not lighting, no alk swings..... Feeding normally, only SPS I have issues with.

I've just about had it with ORA products, especially plasma, 2nd stn/rtn I've encountered, this time I'm happy to let it go, less stressful. Worst is I don't know y...l not lighting, no alk swings..... Feeding normally, only SPS I have issues with.

So maybe I'll be fine continuing to use chemipure and GFO? All my parameters are at 0 now anyway.

I gotcha! Thank for the Info. Let me know what you test brings I'm interested to see. They do sound like they can keep your water amazing though. Do you use carbon or chemipure also?

I use carbon in a TLF150 reactor. I will probably add some GFO to the reactor in a couple of weeks.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I'm cleaning out my sump tomorrow, lately I've had algae breakout, so I'm ditching chemipure elite, changing out the gfo, and doing simply skimmer and chaeto

I'm cleaning out my sump tomorrow, lately I've had algae breakout, so I'm ditching chemipure elite, changing out the gfo, and doing simply skimmer and chaeto

Why do you think you are having algae problems?

SouthFlorida_Tron
Why do you think you are having algae problems?

No clue.... It slowly but surely just started as spores and patches. Now it's popping up everywhere....

Could b photoperiod but at its intensity I doubt it

Well so far I have had good luck dipping things in a 50%tankwater/50%hydrogen peroxide bath to kill the algae. This may not be an option if your stuff is all encrusted and your rocks are glued down, but I did it to some of my rocks last week and it took care of the problem. I've also read of other people that does hydrogen peroxide at 1ml/10g and had good success with it taking care of algae over time and not harming SPS. I hope you get it figured out!

IMG_0132.jpg

How do you feel it works for SPS? Did you notice any algae growth/cyno after using?

So far I only have monti's's and birds nest, but man, they seem to love this stuff. It smells really bad so it must be good.

The stuff I got from John @ reefcleaners didn't even have a label, lol. I think that link might have info on what's in it.

I have no algae in my tank, but it's only four months old.

I want those fish!!

It took me a long time to get a healthy Ornate Leopard. It eats anything I put in the tank, including pellets and flake.

Kleenex anyone? I need 1

I will never leave you alone with my tank :P

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I looked over at my tank and it was all cloudy! I was fidgeting with my timers for my dosers on my 60g and I guess I set it wrong. I have been dosing both alk and ca from b-ionic two part for the last 4 hours at 1.1ml/min! The SPS seem fine... better PE then usual actually. I am not seeing any fish floating around and the BTA, snails, shrimp, and crabs are all doing their thing. I hope this clears up soon so I can see if there is any damage. I did a 6g WC right away.

If everything seems fine, and it was two part being dosed in equal parts, should I be ok? Has this happened to anyone before? Outcome?

you should be OKAY! i had a mistake before and did a WC and it just balance out everything. Nothing but a good WC wouldn't hurt anything. :) No worries!

you should be OKAY! i had a mistake before and did a WC and it just balance out everything. Nothing but a good WC wouldn't hurt anything. :) No worries!

I checked my skimmer and it is pulling a ton of white stuff out of the water. I guess this is the participate. Things are starting to clear up. I guess I am lucky it was both of the two part and not just the alk... I have been reefing for 5 years and this is the first time it has happened heh.

Oh my, looking goood! Cool fishies!

Bummer about the dosing. :(

Did ya read the thread on John's filter feeder formula?

Oh my, looking goood! Cool fishies!

Bummer about the dosing. :(

Did ya read the thread on John's filter feeder formula?

Thanks Spirofucci. I did check out the thread on John's filter feeder powder. I think I will order a cup the next time I order from him. Seems interesting.

The tank is ok. Nothing lost with my mishap.

Well, I lost my red planet colony. It had not being doing well for the last couple months for reasons unknown. I guess the spike in levels did it in. I watched as the tissue just floated off. I guess I will have to look for a new frag and start over. :(

Tested the tank tonight and got the following:

1.025 sg

nitrate- 0

po4- .03

ca- 400

alk- 9.7

Everything pretty much where I want them. I guess I will have to start over the trying to stabilize. I currently have my dosers set to drop 16 ml of 2 part throughout the day. We will go with that for a week and see what levels are at.

I am trying out frozen oyster eggs in an attempt to get some floating food out in the water column for my SPS and various filter feeders. I will report on this after a few weeks of feeding a blister cube every other day.

Well, I lost my red planet colony. It had not being doing well for the last couple months for reasons unknown. I guess the spike in levels did it in. I watched as the tissue just floated off. I guess I will have to look for a new frag and start over. :(

Tested the tank tonight and got the following:

1.025 sg

nitrate- 0

po4- .03

ca- 400

alk- 9.7

Everything pretty much where I want them. I guess I will have to start over the trying to stabilize. I currently have my dosers set to drop 16 ml of 2 part throughout the day. We will go with that for a week and see what levels are at.

I am trying out frozen oyster eggs in an attempt to get some floating food out in the water column for my SPS and various filter feeders. I will report on this after a few weeks of feeding a blister cube every other day.

That sucks man! Glad to hear all your parameters are good now.

Picked up a green mandarin at the LFS today. I got it to eat about 20 pieces of brine while acclimating, so I hope this is a good thing. I will have to baby it to keep eating them otherwise I might have a problem with all the pod eating fish I have. Thankfully, the leopards show little interest in pod munching anymore and hang out in the water column waiting for me to drop bloodworms, brine, and mysis, so there should be enough for the mandy for awhile.

Archived