Innovative Marine Aquariums

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

Holy #!$#. I missed the switch from mh to led! I am a bum...

The radion looks awesome over that tank. And it sounds liken you are seeing good growth.

Ya, I am getting some great growth on some things and ok growth on others. The rescue corals are still coloring up though... but on the bright side the underside of my purple nana colony that rtn'd last summer is now growing back. So much for people saying the undersides of corals bleach/rtn under LEDS.

In tank news, I am getting the last few corals that I have been hunting for. I drove down to LA today and stopped by Vivid. Amazing place! So much SPS! I picked up nice size frags of blue mille and rose mille for relatively reasonable prices, two pieces I have been wanting for a long time. My phosphate is at 0.00 for the first time ever mostly likely. I am still getting hair algae however. I think it is just a phase that will pass, however. I will post some pics in the coming days.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes my vote is for more fairy wrasse. Thats my plan. :)

I am thinking the same thing... my first died, so I am hoping to find another nice one that lives.

I just got me a midas blenny, never realized how cool these fish really are.

Wouldn't a Midas blennie be prone to nip on my clam? The clam just got over being stressed because of the Flame Angel nipping on it. This has stopped now for some reason and the clam is extending normally again.

+1 Midas Blenny, best addition ever

Same thing?

I have never herd of a Midas picking on clams, my clams were always fine with my Midas. You should try and seek out one of the rare Blue Midas, those things are rad. I know Rehype had one for a while. I have been on the hunt ever since I saw his.

By the way everything is looking really good. I have been really busy and not updated my tank thread recently. I'll see about getting updated this weekend. :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

I have a maxima & Derasa, and he's never gone near em! He'll just swim like crazy & with personality, then chill in a hole showing only his face

So my blue and rose milleporas on my frag rack are very shaggy looking while my green mille out in the tank has almost no PE. The only thing I can think of to explain why the green mille is showing zero PE that it does not like the flow it is getting. The frag rack is directly in front of the mp10 whereas the green mille colony is below and forward from the mp10.

Not to mention my red planet is basically all red now... Curious. I plan on taking my GFO offline in a week and running only biopellets and carbon to see what happens with SPS color. Maybe I am stripping my water too clean? Not sure if this is the case since I am still getting bubble algae and hair algae in places.

Intense lighting?

That is my other thought. I have had the Radion at 90% intensity at 14k for the past 2 months and I have definitely noticed a lighter color with the corals in the center of the tank. But the frag rack and the green mille colony are on the far sides of the tank where there is not as much light (check out the most recent FTS and you can see what I mean).

That purple bonsai is amazing! Everything is looking pretty awesome bro. Where do you get your SPS from?

Thanks. Most of my SPS are frags from people on the central coast. I think that only frags that I bought from the LFS are the granulosa, and my two new milleporas from Vivid. SPS are not popular on the central coast, but there are a few of us who grow them.

I put some feelers out on socalireefs.com but it's hard to find named SPS corals locally. The only true place that has awesome stuff that I don't mind shipping from is wet thumbs. They are like 12 miles away but they only ship. Their selection is pretty awesome.

I put some feelers out on socalireefs.com but it's hard to find named SPS corals locally. The only true place that has awesome stuff that I don't mind shipping from is wet thumbs. They are like 12 miles away but they only ship. Their selection is pretty awesome.

Everyone in socalireefs seems to live in the LA area, so I cannot drive out there to trade/buy. It's weird you are having trouble finding the frags out there though. I was under the assumption that getting SPS frags near LA was easy.

Everyone in socalireefs seems to live in the LA area, so I cannot drive out there to trade/buy. It's weird you are having trouble finding the frags out there though. I was under the assumption that getting SPS frags near LA was easy.

I'm on the outskirts really. I'm pretty patient though. I just found a guy that has a beautiful frag of Strawberry Shortcake that I will be buying in short order. Besides Vivid, most LFS around here suck to be honest. Craigslist works out sometimes too. There is also San Fernando Valley Reefers but I don't necessarily want to join a club. Frag swaps would be awesome though.

I'm on the outskirts really. I'm pretty patient though. I just found a guy that has a beautiful frag of Strawberry Shortcake that I will be buying in short order. Besides Vivid, most LFS around here suck to be honest. Craigslist works out sometimes too. There is also San Fernando Valley Reefers but I don't necessarily want to join a club. Frag swaps would be awesome though.

Ah, that sucks. Seems like you are in a similar situation as I am then. At least you can get some stuff. Let me know if you are in the SB area ever. I might be able to cut some frags of certain things for you.

Actually, I take the kiddies up to the zoo a couple time a year. We also want to start going to the beach there now. Ventura beach has too many less than desirables there. Cholos and Hell's Angels and such. <_<

How often are you feeding. Feed a little heavier. Your colors may get a little deeper as result of feeding your fish more often. I feed about 1-2 times a day when using my biopellets. In the past with my old 40 I wasn't feeding much (every other day) with biopellets and everything was pretty pale/pastel as a result.

One thing I have also noticed with milli is that when my pH runs higher 8.3-8.4 range rather than 8-8.2 range I tend to get better polyp extension. Flow is important but I think some milli's are more sensitive to water chemistry than others. It may be something to look into.

SouthFlorida_Tron
That is my other thought. I have had the Radion at 90% intensity at 14k for the past 2 months and I have definitely noticed a lighter color with the corals in the center of the tank. But the frag rack and the green mille colony are on the far sides of the tank where there is not as much light (check out the most recent FTS and you can see what I mean).

I understand, it definently seems washed out from center, and The sides have great color.

I mentioned light cuz on mine I dropped from 100% peak, to 75%. Already seeing much more polyp extension, colors always been good.

I'm waiting on a final build for new mounting arms from Chris over at Pico Aquariums. Let me find a sneak peak. Check my thread in a bit

Archived