Cultivated Reef

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new leopard wrasse is not doing well. Found it this morning laying on the sand, breathing heavily. It swims erratically and then sinks to the bottom again. Not really much hope for it. I know the risks with these, but it bums me out when one doesn't make it. They are gorgeous fish.

I may try ordering online for my next leopard as this one is probably a goner.

That sucks dude.

Ya, I knew the risks with these fish. I am determined to get a second healthy one! The leopard I got yesterday passed this afternoon.

Great looking tank, I have a similar tank and I saw that you have your MP10's on the back, whats your opinion on placing the pumps on the back..?? How they work for you in the back and what mode do you use, or what mode gives you better results...?? Did you try then on the sides..???

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you.

Great looking tank, I have a similar tank and I saw that you have your MP10's on the back, whats your opinion on placing the pumps on the back..?? How they work for you in the back and what mode do you use, or what mode gives you better results...?? Did you try then on the sides..???

Sorry for so many questions.

Thank you.

I like the pumps on the back because it get rid of a potential dead zone on the sides of the overflow. I did not try the pumps on the other sides of the tank because I felt that it would not be as effective. I put both mp10s on reef crest 80% and I think works great.

I like the pumps on the back because it get rid of a potential dead zone on the sides of the overflow. I did not try the pumps on the other sides of the tank because I felt that it would not be as effective. I put both mp10s on reef crest 80% and I think works great.

Cool Dude, I'm going to try it, thanks for the reply and I'm sorry to hear about the fishes, like a month ago I bought a Midas Blenny and it jumped too :-( I didn't know he was a jumper, since then I put a screen on top, I'm trying to get a nice lid but I can figure it out how and where.

Ya, I knew the risks with these fish. I am determined to get a second healthy one! The leopard I got yesterday passed this afternoon.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the next will do better. I just noticed that the yellow tang I got has "black ich" so I don't know what is going to happen with him. Hopefully my cleaner shrimp might help. :(

Bad luck with fish, im sorry man. Hows the bio pellets doing?

I am not sure if the pellets are working a lot of not as I am running them along with GFO right now. My plan is that as the GFO gets used up, the pellets will hopefully take over the brunt of the process and I can take the GFO offline and just run carbon in the reactor. We shall see, though for now my phos is .01 and my nitrates are 0, so who knows?

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the next will do better. I just noticed that the yellow tang I got has "black ich" so I don't know what is going to happen with him. Hopefully my cleaner shrimp might help. :(

Sucks that your tang has ich. I am not sure what black ich is though, just the same thing as the white, but black?

I picked up another leopard wrasse that I had a different LFS special order for me. It didn't touch their water and is being acclimated to my tank right now. I am hoping that going directly from the bag to my tank and cutting out the LFS will help keep this little gal alive. It is a tiny 1.5'' female meleagris. I also picked up a larger colony of green millepora from a local. I will post pics in a few hours after I am done acclimating the new leopard.

Sounds good. Yea white ich is the same as black ich but i think only tangs get black ich. Anyway overnight it was gone so I think my cleaner shrimp took care of it. Good luck with this one.

The new leopard is out and about and looking good after two days. It is still too early to tell if it will make it long term. I have not been able to get it to eat mysis or cyclopeeze, but it actively hunts for pods during the day. Good thing I have plenty of those. There was some aggression from my Ornate leopard (3''), whom I believe to be a male now. The much smaller female meleagris (1.5'') was being chased throughout the morning, but It started to subside after a few hours. I hope they end up getting along.

Looks good SoCal. How are the bio pellets working for you. I ran them for a while on my cube but ran in to some issues changed too many things to quick and things went down hill and took them off line. I am running them again with the restart of my system in hopes that I will have better luck this time.

Looks good SoCal. How are the bio pellets working for you. I ran them for a while on my cube but ran in to some issues changed too many things to quick and things went down hill and took them off line. I am running them again with the restart of my system in hopes that I will have better luck this time.

I think they are working well. My phos and nitrates are at 0, but I am also running GFO to help keep my phos low.

Love the Leopard wrasse!

Awesome Wrasse, awesome tank.

Thanks!

I picked up an acropora crab from the LFS yesterday. It ran into my pocci colony right away and has been chillin in there for the past day. No good pics yet. The new leopard wrasse is doing well. It is starting to get fat off pods, but has started to show interest in mysis and bloodworms, so maybe a week or two before I can start getting it to eat at least some frozen. In the mean time, there are plenty of pods for the two leopards and my possum wrasse to share.

Really some of the best SPS on NR, this tank is pretty sweet. But my favorite has to be your combo rock with the zoas, sunset monti, and cyphastrea. Not only cool colors but a sweet mix of textures too. B)

Really some of the best SPS on NR, this tank is pretty sweet. But my favorite has to be your combo rock with the zoas, sunset monti, and cyphastrea. Not only cool colors but a sweet mix of textures too. B)

Thanks Joel! I really like my monti/cyphastrea/zoa rock as well. I wish I could figure out the PE issue with the monti and cyphastrea though. It hasn't been great ever since I moved them over to the 60 from the 20.

Hi Socalguy, I'm getting my Radions tomorrow and I was wondering if you can share your settings, to acclimate mine, how did you start..?? What settings did you used..?? What intensity, how high from the tank are you using someones graph..? It's there any Club like AI's.

Thanks any help will be awesome.

Hi Socalguy, I'm getting my Radions tomorrow and I was wondering if you can share your settings, to acclimate mine, how did you start..?? What settings did you used..?? What intensity, how high from the tank are you using someones graph..? It's there any Club like AI's.

Thanks any help will be awesome.

Since I was moving from a MH to LED, I started a little higher at 40% with the Radion about 7 inches above the water line. Right now I use natural mode at 100%. Before natural mode was out, I used my own settings which started out low at 12k, and progressively moved up in intensity and k throughout the day.

I don't know if there is any "Radion Club" or anything like that on NR. Good luck with your fixture. I really like mine. I am getting some good growth on my SPS. The colors are great as well.

Looking good SoCal. Looks your getting some nice growth and that new leopard looks nice.

Thanks Steely. I am hoping to catch up to your SPS growth. Your tank is looking great.

I was sitting around staring at the tank and decided to look at my biopellet reactor. I realized that I was using only about 300ml of pellets for my system. This is way under what it should be. I dumped the rest of my 500ml bag in. I guess this is why I had to use the GFO. I wasn't using enough pellets :angry: . I am hoping to take the GFO out in three weeks and just use the TLF 150 reactor for carbon.

Nothing new with the tank right now. Everything is doing pretty well. Slight hair algae and bubble algae outbreak, but what else is new lol. Growth is steady.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy #!$#. I missed the switch from mh to led! I am a bum...

The radion looks awesome over that tank. And it sounds liken you are seeing good growth.

Archived