SaltCritters.com

[Biocube 29] RedStang's Build Thread

RedStang

So, I told my wife last night that I was thinking of breaking down the BC and just keep saving to setup the 135 eventually. She threatened to leave me :lol:. So I guess she officially loves the tank more than me!

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I told my wife last night that I was thinking of breaking down the BC and just keep saving to setup the 135 eventually. She threatened to leave me :lol:. So I guess she officially loves the tank more than me!

Lol! My tank is at work, but my husband is glad I have a hobby :P; of course, we don't talk about $$ much...which is easier to do with the tank at work!

Those acans are awesome! I have two acans started, one of which is getting bigger all the time. I just realized this morning that I'm approaching the 6 month point and need to change the PCs. Am thinking about going the LED route!

Lol! My tank is at work, but my husband is glad I have a hobby :P; of course, we don't talk about $$ much...which is easier to do with the tank at work!

Those acans are awesome! I have two acans started, one of which is getting bigger all the time. I just realized this morning that I'm approaching the 6 month point and need to change the PCs. Am thinking about going the LED route!

Thanks! The scans are sprouting about one head per month so far so not bad. LED's are nice. Love the shimmer effect and they seem to run cooler too.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm working from home today and I keep hearing a sound coming from the tank like something's tapping on the glass. Finally realized it must be the pistol shrimp. Haven't heard that thing make any noise since the first night it went in!

Hope it isn't executing the YWG ;)

Also experimenting with 2 light cycles per day. 4 on, 8 off.

So I'm working from home today and I keep hearing a sound coming from the tank like something's tapping on the glass. Finally realized it must be the pistol shrimp. Haven't heard that thing make any noise since the first night it went in!

Hope it isn't executing the YWG ;)

Also experimenting with 2 light cycles per day. 4 on, 8 off.

Yeah for pistol hitchhikers! I have one, too -- the first one, I removed from the tank -- got all panicky thinking it would kill everything. But it was so tiny, and it turns out that some kind of pistols are really pretty small and not big enough to do damage, but they sure like to snap when someone gets near their burrows during feeding time!

Yeah for pistol hitchhikers! I have one, too -- the first one, I removed from the tank -- got all panicky thinking it would kill everything. But it was so tiny, and it turns out that some kind of pistols are really pretty small and not big enough to do damage, but they sure like to snap when someone gets near their burrows during feeding time!

Actually I bought mine! It's almost as big as the YWG at this point. It doesn't come out much but it's cool to see it doing its bulldozing. Right up to the point where it covers a couple frags with sand and kills them while we're on vacation :D. Speaking, of, I need to get around to gluing the remaining frags up off the sand somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

i have a ywg and tiger pistol pair also. i named my shimp Kubota after his bulldozing habits lol.. they are fun to watch but i have no worry of him turning on the goby. he will however grab hermits passing by and roll their shell around snapping to kill them and then use the shell to reinforce his living quarters.

im going to have to get a lot more hermits when i transfer to the new tank, and i will probably find a lot of empties in the sand in the cube.

Rollermonkey

Hey!

I think I finally "found" the tank that was the inspiration for mine!

I kept looking, and looking, and looking in the member's aquarium forum...

• 2 weeks later...
Hey!

I think I finally "found" the tank that was the inspiration for mine!

I kept looking, and looking, and looking in the member's aquarium forum...

Sorry for the late response as I was out on vacation. If my tank was an inspiration than thanks. I hope my posts have been of some help.

My tank is purely in cruise control now. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to vodka dosing or possibly go with a nano bio pellet reactor instead. I get some film algae on the glass that I scrape for aesthetic reasons every 3-4 days.

As for growth I have some polyps that grow like mad while others barely add a head now and then. I have 2 SPS frags that seem to be growing extremely well. One appears identical to a purple passion so I'm very happy with it as it was free. Monti cap and some chalice are also growing like crazy. My red acans have been consistently growing as well.

My bird's nest has some kind of algae on it. I'll be hydrogen peroxide dipping it today or tomorrow.

All fish and shrimp seem to be going strong. I'm a month and day away from having the clowns for a year.

Progress on the 135 has stalled. I'm basically waiting on 2 MP40's, a return pump, overflow, and another tank for a sump. Too many other financial priorities right now. Might pick up some things for Christmas. In the mean time I need to pick up some cerium oxide and give a good polish to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, suffered my first loss. When we came back from vacation the tail spot blenny looked very thin. We had someone feeding every other day as normal so I don't think it was starvation. I fed every day for a week though just in case and it seemed to be ok. Last Thursday though in the morning it barely made an effort to feed and that was the last I saw of it. Sucks as it was a great fish that sometimes would swim to the glass to look back at me.

Sunday I picked up a bicolor blenny as a replacement. Also a beautiful fish that is already comfortable in the tank and perching so it can watch us watch them. It ate within 30 minutes of being added to the tank. My daughter named it sunset.

Sorry for the blenny loss! I lost my rainfordi goby a few months back in a very similar way. It was doing great -- had even learned to eat out of the water column (kind of unusual for this fish) and seemed happy doing its sand-rearranging thing. Then, it started looking thin, and kept getting thinner, lost its appetite, and after a couple of weeks, died. I still miss it!

Sorry for the blenny loss! I lost my rainfordi goby a few months back in a very similar way. It was doing great -- had even learned to eat out of the water column (kind of unusual for this fish) and seemed happy doing its sand-rearranging thing. Then, it started looking thin, and kept getting thinner, lost its appetite, and after a couple of weeks, died. I still miss it!

Yep, sounds familiar. This one would take flakes from my hand, loved mysis shrimp, and frozen veggie stuff. I tried to mix it up for it. I did some digging and apparently they aren't long lived, at least in the aquarium.

• 2 months later...

Been a couple of months since my last update. Added a bicolor blenny that's very cool. Similar personality as the tailspot. All inhabitants accepted him including the 6-line.

Been battling some cyano. Finally resorted to chemiclean but it's starting to ease it's way back in so I may need to do a 2nd dose.

Otherwise everything seems to be doing fine. Need to find a better solution for water changes though. Biggest PITA in this hobby!

• 1 year later...

So, been over a year since my last update lol! Things went fairly well until June 2013. Started losing my SPS slowly. Was sure it was because I'd gone slack on water changes so I bumped up water changes. This still kept going down hill slowly so I increased water changes again.

Found the culprit when I finally tested alk and found it to be stupid low. After more investigation found out the latest bag of salt I had was bad. So all the water changes on the work were only making it worse.

Once I got that under control things rebounded nicely. Between June and September though I lost all SPS except monti's, my 6-line wrasse, and my cleaner shrimp. So I'm now down to the clowns, YWG, bi-color blenny, and a pistol shrimp. Staying pat here while I get my 60 cube running. Finished the leak test this weekend and hoping to have it up and rocking in the next couple of months. Build thread for it will come once I kick of the cycle.

Archived