30 replies to this topic

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011

Posted Image

Today we at Orphek are announcing our latest product: T-8 formfactor LED tubes that will fit into T-5 fixtures with our adapter (included). Completely powered by the fixure with no additional power source needed, our LED tubes are available in 24, 36, 48" and 60" and emit 500 lumens per foot (compared to 400/foot for normal fluorescent bulbs) via our second generation Power LED™ diodes. As always, the drivers are constant current, with a power factor of 97. Even better, they also include our new UV/True Violet diode and very high PUR, CRI spectral curve (see below). Available from any Orphek dealer in June!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by OrphekUSA, 26 May 2011 - 08:46 PM.

jtgordon20

jtgordon20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2010
Nice looking. When will these be ready to buy?

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
Before the end of the month!

jtgordon20

jtgordon20

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • Joined 24 Jul 2010
Nice. How much more par will they put out than the T-5 bulbs they replace and will there be color options?
Sorry for the questions.

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
Options will be the full spectrum above, and a blue/uv moonlight/actinic version. Expect more color options in the future!

They put out more PAR and PUR than do fluorescent bulbs, as well as more lumens.

Dizzle21

Dizzle21

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  • Joined 27 Sep 2009
  • SD-CA
Price?

wrx1908

wrx1908

sunny-side up

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2008
Can you mix with regular T5HO?

paradox_of_reef

paradox_of_reef

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMES SUNDERLAND

• Members
  • 624 posts
  • Joined 10 Mar 2011
  • Augusta Georgia
This is a very exciting idea. If the price is right i could see many T5 owners converting their fixtures to LED, myself included.

wrx1908

wrx1908

sunny-side up

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2008
LEDs/T5HO/LEDs/T5HO sounds good to me

Dizzle21

Dizzle21

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,542 posts
  • Joined 27 Sep 2009
  • SD-CA
Wanna see these over a tank, Id like to change out a couple of my t5's with these, just have a feeling they're gunna cost alot

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
You can mix them with regular bulbs. The 48" bulb will retail for ~$169.99, prices aren't set for the 24" and 36" versions yet.

Curly Joe Reefer

Curly Joe Reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 30 Jun 2009
can't wait to see the price of the 24 inch versions. What watt are the led's?

gabe3eb

gabe3eb

Hang It...

• Premium Members
  • 1,400 posts
  • Joined 10 Dec 2001
  • Kandahar

can't wait to see the price of the 24 inch versions. What watt are the led's?

What he said!

Also, a comparison of these tube to tube of a 24W T5HO light with avg reflectors would be very helpful. I know they will last a lot longer, being LEDs, but it would be a much easier decision for people (price wise) to compare the cost of the two options if you could make a statement like, "twice the par/lumens as 1 24W T5HO bulb." Then it makes paying 4 times the cost of a tube a no-brainer. :D

jnelson

jnelson

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2011
  • NYC
Subscribed - looks awesome.

Any chance you guys are going to put out an 18" version? I'm running the 20" Nova Extreme Pro, which uses the 18" T5s. Would definitely order these.

- Joe
Deep Blue 30G RR | Acan Lighting 300

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
Just to let you all know we're still finalizing some details, but I will get back to everyone regarding their questions, so ask away!

GiantBen

GiantBen

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  • Joined 26 Jan 2009
  • North Bay, CA
This is sick. Pretty wonderful idea too :D

I'm obviously interested.

http://www.nano-reef...?...t&p=3347015

wrx1908

wrx1908

sunny-side up

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 24 Sep 2008
Subscribed

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
Quick update:

the bulbs will be available in 24, 36, 48, and 60" and will launch in two colors:

- Daylight (30% blue, 70% white Power LEDô Gen 2 emitters, see spectrograph in OP)
- Moonlight/'Actinic' (30% UV/true violet emitters, 70% blue/royal blue emitters - incredible color enhancer)

The bulbs are going to require line voltage so the plugs for the LED tubes will have to be disconnected from the T-5 or T-8 fixture's ballast and the wires plugged straight in. Instructions and adapter will be included with each tube!

gdm42011

gdm42011

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24 May 2011

Quick update:

the bulbs will be available in 24, 36, 48, and 60" and will launch in two colors:

- Daylight (30% blue, 70% white Power LEDô Gen 2 emitters, see spectrograph in OP)
- Moonlight/'Actinic' (30% UV/true violet emitters, 70% blue/royal blue emitters - incredible color enhancer)

The bulbs are going to require line voltage so the plugs for the LED tubes will have to be disconnected from the T-5 or T-8 fixture's ballast and the wires plugged straight in. Instructions and adapter will be included with each tube!

So the ballasts will no longer be needed?

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
The T-8 tubes will be offered at 24, 36, 48, and 60" and can be retrofitted into existing T-5 fixtures, but of course not as many will fit. Most likely they will retail for ~$169-199. Existing fluorescent ballasts need to be bypassed with the internal wiring. Instructions will be included.

The T-5 tubes will be offered in the same lengths, and will fit directly into T-5 fixtures, but require a separate small (think AC/DC converter size) power supply for each bulb. These will retail for between $99-249.

Both sizes will be featured in a white/blue/uv combo and a blue/uv 'actinic' combo!

phi delt reefer

phi delt reefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Joined 28 Jun 2010
  • London, ON Canda

The T-8 tubes will be offered at 24, 36, 48, and 60" and can be retrofitted into existing T-5 fixtures, but of course not as many will fit. Most likely they will retail for ~$169-199. Existing fluorescent ballasts need to be bypassed with the internal wiring. Instructions will be included.

The T-5 tubes will be offered in the same lengths, and will fit directly into T-5 fixtures, but require a separate small (think AC/DC converter size) power supply for each bulb. These will retail for between $99-249.

Both sizes will be featured in a white/blue/uv combo and a blue/uv 'actinic' combo!

who's your Canada Retailer?
for the T5 light will i need to take apart my light to wire it up?
Is the adaptor something you have to physically plug in or does it piggy back off of the power supply leads to the t5ho ballst? (similar to how a aftermarket day light running lights module works)

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
Email canada@orphek.com for more info on dealers in CA.

The adapter piggybacks off the existing plug for the T-8 bulbs.

Bishop

Bishop

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • Joined 10 Nov 2010
I really like the idea of changing my quad t5s over my 20L with LED's. The question is. For $400 for a set of 24" bulbs plus the cost of my fixture, what makes them a better choice than 4x BoostLED Par30 bulbs at $280?

It might just be me but I would think that the reason people still have t5 lighting instead of LEDs is the cost and $400 is a lot of money not to mention the cost of the longer bulbs.

OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 123 posts
  • Joined 05 Mar 2011
It's all about options!

The inherent advantage of choosing our products is our Power LED™ emitters that we made just for reef aquariums. No other LED manufacturer can offer products with the spectral curves, CRI, and PUR output that we do. Compare our full-fixture spectrograph to the Boost products...if they even offer full-fixture spectrographs of their bulbs. If they do, you'll see the typical Cree curve, with ~40% energy emitted in the green spectrum, which is completely useless for marine inverts.

If you prefer PAR30/38, check our out PR-NL7, PR-ML7, or PR-25s. :)

Edited by OrphekUSA, 11 June 2011 - 01:55 AM.

bonomo53

bonomo53

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 469 posts
  • Joined 29 Jan 2010
  • Long Island NY
any update on these
feedback

Biocube 14

38 gallon

Bonomo53's 57 rimless