inTank Media Baskets

Got any oddball inverts for 24/7 lit fuge?

kgoldy

Alright- did a full range test just a minute ago and everything is back where it's supposed to be... Just wanna make sure it stays stable for a few days before I order.

You know if you're going to have the quart sized gracilaria in soon? Last time I ordered a single regular sized order of gracilaria, all those snails you sent me went to town on the stuff and it was gone in just a few weeks. ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney

Oh I should update the inventory on the website. I am a little behind, but it is about that time. Gracilaria specimens are almost quart sized now anyway, might as well get the full price for it. ;) No I am kidding the quart and gallon we will have are better values. Strange they ate it on you, which did we have when we sent yours? We come across a few different species throughout the year, each season has a different gracilaria species staple. Some mix at different times. It is impossible to keep up with it though. I think we have come across at least 35 different gracilaria variations. Was it the thicker large size stuff or the fleshier short bushy type? Once we get the type down.....any bumps on it by any chance? like gracilaria domengensis or however you properly spell that species name?

I can't compare it to much, as I've only seen two examples of gracilaria- one from you, and Macro Feast (complete waste of money that stuff was).

It was an order that got mixed up (remember "John can't count" post)- I ordered both regular and red, and only got one. My guess is I got the regular- it was medium/light brown to tan, with darker pigmented bumps on it. Not bushy at all, more like a naked branch of a tree.

I could use some recommendations on what macro to put in the display fuge (with the mantis) vs. in the display...

IMG_1031.jpg

Display fuge-

40 B custom sump with permanent rockwall. Fuge portion is the full length, full height, and about 60% of the way across the 40B. I estimate there's about 25 gallons of water in there, most of which is open swimming space. LR rubble is piled along the side and back walls.

At the moment, I have mostly caulerpa prolifera- which I've found to be very stable in terms of not going sexual. It out competes even chaeto for nutrients (my two strains of chaeto completely stopped growing). I would like to trim it back, but not remove it completely, because I think it looks kind of nice. There's a little caulerpa mexicana in there, which I'm going to try to eliminate completely because it went sexual on me once already.

Lighting schedule is going to be around 14 hours, as a reverse light cycle from the display. I'm thinking my priority in the fuge is nutrient uptake, with display quality being a close second. I don't imagine myself getting any tangs or anything else in the main display tank that really needs to munch on the edible macros... So in order of importance it's 1) nutrient uptake 2) display worthiness 3) edibility.

IMG_0982.jpg

Display tank-

90 RR with virtually no coral yet. I want to get the macros established before the coral. Ulva that I got from you seems to grow very well up there in areas of high flow- somehow it managed to attach itself to my hydor rotating deflectors right up near the surface of the water- that's where it grows best. There's a lot of rock scape to fill, with everything from swift current and high light exposure to very slow current and shade. Lighting is about 10 hours, staggered for sunrise/sunset effect, with two 135 watt BoostLED Mu fixtures.

(ps- those are old pics so there's a bit more natural growth in both tanks... But that's an idea of the rock scape I've got)

johnmaloney

flame algae, (byrothamnion triquetrum not a halymenia species) is easy to keep. Very hardy stuff. NOthing eats it really, at least nothing you have in your aquarium. It is pretty ideal for a display algae, but it doesn't grow that fast in captivity. (In the wild everything grows faster than chaeto does in the hobby...)

I

johnmaloney

Oh yeah for sure, it looks nice. At least I think, I am partial to everything though.

I am only talking about the display refugium at the moment, you can do with what you want with your display. Sounds like you have a bit of a caulerpa prolifera monoculture there? Flame algae would work in that, sometimes when you get an aggressive caulerpa species that becomes well established other algae will fall by the way side, unable to establish themselves in the aquarium. Flame algae though can handle lulls in nutrients far better than any of the other species you have had. And by flame algae I dont mean Halymenia which everyone outside of NR calls Dragon's Somethingortoher. I am talking about Bryothamnion triquetrum, or however I was supposed to spell that. :) Rigid, calcified etc..fire fern (not that I have any), a few gorgs, some purple some yellow and that would be a cool looking tank. Purple ribbon, yellow whip, "green" gorgonian (never understood that name) Pterogonia citrina or however you spell it, and then the other flame algae Halymenia once you prune back or uproot and spread the prolifera around, maybe that will give the Halymenia a period to settle in.

Haha, wanna just build my shopping cart for me?

My parameters seem to be where they belong now- After a few days of stability I'll be ready to order.

... a few gorgs, some purple some yellow and that would be a cool looking tank. Purple ribbon, yellow whip, "green" gorgonian (never understood that name) Pterogonia citrina or however you spell it, and then the other flame algae Halymenia once you prune back or uproot and spread the prolifera around, maybe that will give the Halymenia a period to settle in.

Do you have all that stuff in stock (or have it soon)? I forgot to get the penny gorg last time I ordered. :(

johnmaloney

I may but they are all penny gorgs. I have left the full ones down there, just taking cuttings of a few that live by me. I have to check when I get to the warehouse, I have a dive to do first though.

Can mangroves live with indirect light? I'm not talking thrive and grow like weeds- Just survive and be decorative.

johnmaloney

oh is that your thread, I saw it come up on the homepage and wanted to check it out. Mangroves dont need much light, I kept some growing under a wal-mart flourescent strip light, a regular 10w flourescent strip in it. I have had them sprout under just warehouse lighting, which is 40 w of 2 T12s that are 30 feet in the air....it doesn't take much. Sprouted and grew like 5 times as fast under the sun by the window sill, but you get that.

Not to be a hijack but can you get maidens hair algae? Wanting to get some in my new 75 once I get it filled and cycled. Nice tank btw dude!

Alright, I guess I'm ready to order if you can ship next week. Should I call or email...? not sure how to add the mantis to my cart since it's not a listed item on the site. Also wanna see if I can get a few gorgs from ya, prices as you see fit since I want more than just the one penny gorg that's allowed on the site.

johnmaloney

oh ok will do. check my email I had a reply about the address, also edit your post to take away your email address or the spam bots will find it.

USPS Express, right? UPS guy came super early today while I was using a table saw (and therefore couldn't hear the bell) and I almost missed my box from Mr Coral. :slap:

Lesson learned- leaving the door open tomorrow.

Not yet. Door left open and no table saw today. No mailman yet. Current local temp is 90 degrees.... :unsure:

johnmaloney

by the way I think I owe you a Laurencia. It was kind of beat up looking so I am going to refund that one. The rest of the macros you are going to be happy with. One may not make it, it is Halymenia elongata it is a particularly hard macro to care for but I figured I would send it and give you a shot with it.

Archived