inTank Media Baskets

Got any oddball inverts for 24/7 lit fuge?

kgoldy

I'm going to be ordering from you as soon as you get your best of the season pack in... so I'm wondering if you might suggest a candidate for my display fuge.

1- Needs to be able to tolerate 24/7 lighting (there's ample places to hide in shade or burrow)

2- Something that won't eat all the algae you send me

3- Something that won't go after the pods

4- It's gotta be interesting- because it's likely going to be the single display species in there

I was thinking maybe a mantis would be a good addition? But don't know if the 24 hour lighting would stress it...

edit: It should probably read "could you harvest any oddball inverts for 24/7 lit fuge"?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney

box crab? i think i can scoop up a mantis too but box crabs are cool. tube nem? i have giant american cockles too, they arent giant now though. I have kept them before, a very hardy bivalve if part of a 50g + system. in a refugium i think they would work well. there flesh is red and white spotted...

What kind of mantis species can you get? And are the box crabs animated at all, or do they just kind of burrow and sit there with their eyes poking out?

thinking of setting up my 20L as a Micro tank with something like a mantis in it will be following this to see what comes up.

johnmaloney

box crabs are pretty boring to be honest. they will come out more than you think, but they do just kind of sit there. I have scotch bonnets, predatory snail but a good scavenger and the box crab will unlikely be able to eat him. (he cant eat the box crab, both are snail predators). I probably have a few other predatory snails left..... if you are looking for something along those lines I can probably come up with more choices. ,

I'm thinking more mantis, less boring. Being afraid of losing a finger while trimming my macros sounds like fun. :happy:

johnmaloney

box crab will more likely take a finger than a mantis i think. at worst a mantis will give you a prick, and usually those are larger than the ones in the hobby.

So what species of mantis can you get? Guess I'll be looking to place my order June 1st if that's when your Best of Season macro collection will be available.

box crab will more likely take a finger than a mantis i think. at worst a mantis will give you a prick, and usually those are larger than the ones in the hobby.

debateable. Mantis's can get large and MEAN

johnmaloney

whatever we come across and decide to collect. i usually just dont have enough places to put them. we have had s. empusa. n. wennerae and the scaley tailed mantis. The scaley tailed mantis gets about 3 inches shorter than the largest mantis out there....

Could you grab a n. wennerae (or any mantis that stays relatively small and is not drab brown) for me this week? I'll be ordering as soon as that best of season macro pack is available.

johnmaloney

the mantis should be here tomorrow. the best of season sampler sold out week before last i think, it went fast lots of people were waiting i think it lasted a day

the mantis should be here tomorrow. the best of season sampler sold out week before last i think, it went fast lots of people were waiting i think it lasted a day

Bah! Damn, wish I saw it... Guess I should have been checking every 12 hours... Well, let me know when that mantis comes in and I'll place my order.

johnmaloney

unfortunately the wholesaler forgot to send my order last week. <_< I have another supplier shipping them now...will let you know.

shovelnose lobster? I forgot about him...wouldnt work with a mantis, cool little inverts though.

johnmaloney

got him, he is pretty cool, and has a horrible attitude. very active swimmer too, doesnt like me at all. Has nice fluorescent blue marking on his head.

Awesome-

Got a bit of an issue at the moment though- I'm having a hard time maintaining my pH after I had some maxi minis die of shipping stress in my display tank. Right now I'm running and average of 7.8 (down from my normal, steady 8.3). Can you hold him for a little bit until I get things stabilized? As much as I want this dude, I do not want to stick him in a tank that will kill him.

P.S. Got any pics? :D

Archived