Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best Goby Pistol Shrimp Combo

RDtrack

I know there are a ton of threads on this subject but what I'm wondering is what is the most unusual goby; pistol combo. I'm looking for some color in the goby. Also will could I have yellow clown gobe with this combo?

Thanks

thirdchild
I know there are a ton of threads on this subject but what I'm wondering is what is the most unusual goby; pistol combo. I'm looking for some color in the goby. Also will could I have yellow clown gobe with this combo?

Thanks

I'd suggest seeing what's available pre-paired.

I bought my Randall's goby and Randall's shrimp separately... and they havent found each other yet after a year of being in the same tank. :huh:

Clown gobys aren't the pairing kind...

I really like my Yellow Rose/ Hi Fin Stonogobiops nematodes and Candy Stripe Alpheus spp.. I had no problems with mine pairing. It was instantaneous.

If you want to color coordinate the Yasha Hase Stonogobiops yashia would go well with the Candy Strip.

Bluezooaquatics has paired Yellow Watchmen Gobies Cryptocentrus cinctus with a yellow colored Caribbean pistol Shrimp Alpheus sp. in stock for $39.95 plus shipping.

As thirdchild stated I don't believe clown gobies will pair with a shrimp.

I've got a mated pair of yellow watchman gobies from ORA, which actually appear more of a "steel blue" than yellow- they're paired with a Tiger Pistol.

20110429002.jpg

Got a Yasha with a Candycane pistol...

20110423191.jpg

A Hi-Fin with Candycane...

20110429003.jpg

And a "Yellow Stipe" Watchman Goby that I bought with paired shrimp from the Diver's Den on Live Aquaria.

yellowlinedshrimpgobywithredbandedpistolshrimp.png

20110423197.jpg

The one that I bought "paired" from Diver's Den doesn't go near any of the many pistol shrimp in my 90 gallon (including the one he came with). Although he's always out in the open, I consider him a complete waste of money since it doesn't in any way interact with any of my pistol shrimp.

The paired (male/female) ORA Yellow Watchman gobies tend to be out in the open more than all the others, but the Tiger pistol hides most of the time...

The hi-fin stays close to the candycane at all times, but often hidden.

The Yasha and his candycane are the most active, and the Yasha has a big attitude- often displaying towards his neighbors.

I've also got a Wheeler's Goby- but never see him... Though there is evidence of him digging deep in the crevices between my rocks.

th-70977-wheelers-watchman.jpg

edit- As for the Yellow Clown- I'm guessing you weren't asking if they would pair up... More if there would be territory issues. The answer is yes, you can absolutely keep the clown with the combo. They're in different niches (clown sticks to the rocks/coral, the watchman/pistol combo stick to the substrate) so they shouldn't bother each other at all.

You're going to have to elaborate.. best in what way? Easiest? Most unique? The "best bet" for pairing seems to be a Yellow watchman goby and a Tiger pistol shrimp. From anecdotal evidence gathered around these parts, at least. They're also the most widely available at LFS. Other combos work, but will be more expensive and harder to come by.

Took mine about 3 minutes for them to pair initially, then, after the first Goby eventually died, the new one (another YWG) paired with the shrimp overnight.

I have a YWG and a Randall's pistol and they paired very easy. This is the second YWG tho. When I started the pairing I got the pistol first then the watchman a week later. They paired instantly. I lost my YWG in our house move across states. So we got another one dropped him in a voila, paired right up again. So at least I had no issues with this combo.

BustytheSnowMaam

Liveaquaria.com has some good deals on shrimp/goby pairs- there are several different varieties listed in the Diver's Den. You might check it out and see if anything appeals to you.

I have an Orange Spotted Goby and a Tiger Pistol. They are always out and always together!!

I also now have a spotted orange and tiger pair. They have been great. Instant pairing. I had a Yasha first but it was a slow pairing and the Yasha died anyway. The Yasha was beautiful but the orange spot ended to be practical. The goby is out guarding entrances almost all the time and since I got him the tiger pistol is out and about doing a lot of engineering.

• 3 years later...

I want to get an orange strip prawn goby and i was curious if it would pair with a pistol shrimp thanks !

Absolutely, I had a pair for many years. Great fish!

Archived