Innovative Marine Aquariums

How bad are maroon clownfish?

LarryMoeCurly

LarryMoeCurly

I have been giving a lot of thought to stocking my 20g long. I have wanted a maroon clownfish for a long time, but when I actually did some serious research, it seems they have some agression issues. ( The nano fish guide on this site lists them for 20g, while liveaquaria lists 30g, I am assuming 20g would suffice for at least one) The only other inhabitant besides the CUC is a blue damsel.

After researching, I still have a few questions:

1. Would a pair be ok in a 20g long, or just a single clown?

2. I read that they can be very agressive and territorial. Are there any fish that are compatible with them.

3. I read that these clowns will knock over coral or attack new coral additions, anyone experience this?

4. Would you reccomend a maroon for my 20g long? Why or why not?

Here's a shot of my tank...

fts51011.jpg

Thanks.

Builder Anthony

I had a maroon clown for four years.It really isnt that bad of a fish.mine was king of the tank but it only chased away fish from his area like any other fish.My smaller one was very timid but the other one took care of any problems that other fish would cause.I never had them kill another fish.2 for a twenty isnt bad but i have seen maroon clowns the size of big bluegills.As big as my hand.

1. Females can get quite large,4-5" Personally I wouldn't put one in a 20 just because they get large and are very aggressive especially when it comes to their territory. However, if you have one that hosts a nem, it might stay in one area more often

2. Larger fish probably have a better chance, but I've heard of people's maroons chasing away tangs :/

3. I've never kept a maroon clown, but I've never heard of this happening

4. I don't think it would be a good idea, especially if you want to add other fish later :( They're simply too aggressive and can get pretty big

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks for your response.

Actually I would prefer one larger fish as apposed to several smaller fish.

(Do you think one maroon by itself is gets too big for a 20g?)

Also another question:

Will a maroon host just about anything, like an ocellaris will?

Edited by LarryMoeCurly

i had a pair of maroons....

they were interesting fish the female was about 4-5" and they were so vicious

they cleaned out my tank killing my coral beauty and a osc clown. and anytime i did any maint it would mean getting hit and nipped by the female which in the end just got me frustrated and getting put off doing maintaince.

they were nice to my corals though my softs and sps

im sure they are great in bigger tanks with more space and other fish to keep them inline

but i would suggest against them, only because in the end they were the only feature of my tank and i grew a dislikeing to the female biting me all the time :P

i think i have a video even.....

the music was chosen for a awesome cheesy factor :P

I had one in a 75 and she did get get large and aggressive. The deal breaker for me was that she continuously fanned the sand bed to the point that large areas of the tank were down to the glass and piled on corals in other areas. Plus the water was always cloudy because of this.

The deal breaker for me was that she continuously fanned the sand bed to the point that large areas of the tank were down to the glass and piled on corals in other areas. Plus the water was always cloudy because of this.

THIS

i have a 2" white striped maroon. shes awsome! i keep her in a 20L with a yellow watchmen goby and a recently added yellow tail damsel.

within 2 mins of adding the new damsel she quickly left her zoas ( she decided to host my zoas lol) and immediately checked the damsel letting it know whos tank it was in. she followed it and hounded it for a while. i did see her nip at it like once or twice but like i said she just let him know whos boss. since then i havent seen any aggression from the 2 at all.

i say that if anything, get a really small maroon like 1.5-2" and see how that goes. the older or bigger you get them chances are the more agressive and kitten baggy theyll be!

They're evil and are highly territorial. I have one in my 95 gallon fuge that I've been vowing to catch and flush for the last 3 years. It was our first fish, but man is she mean. She knocks over every rock or coral that was changed in virtually the entire tank, even if it was glued down. She's killed at least a few hundred dollars in corals and bites everytime you stick your hand in the tank.

I would never recommend Maroon to anyone, unless your just planning to have a pair with a anemone. Other than that you'll just get ticked off everytime you notice they rearranged something, which is almost daily. Go with some Picasso, Snowflake, or Platinums, or just the regular Percs. Much more peaceful and they don't bite the hand that feeds them:)

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks for all your responses. And thanks for squashing my dreams.

I guess I'll stay away from maroons.

I don't really like the price of the "designer" ocellaris clowns.

I think I might get a pair of ocellaris. One black and white, one low grade (cheap) "designer" white and orange, maybe a cheap picasso or something. I'm going to see if my LFS can order them.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1
1. Females can get quite large,4-5" Personally I wouldn't put one in a 20 just because they get large and are very aggressive especially when it comes to their territory. However, if you have one that hosts a nem, it might stay in one area more often
Actually an anemone will just make them more aggressive, especially in a 20 long.

You'd be okay, for awhile, with adding a single small maroon to your tank. I wouldn't chance anything else in there with a YTD and a maroon though, except maybe a dottyback or a sixline. A smaller maroon isn't really anymore aggressive than any other clown. Eventually though, some switch inside of them will flip and you will have one furious fish on your hands. If all you're risking is a YTD, and its really what you want, and you know the risks, then its fine. She will eventually outgrow a 20 long, but it will take years, its not like a tang or an angel that needs the swimming room.

I have a 3.5 to 4 inch Gold Stripe Maroon in my 37 gallon. She is starting to get pretty feisty. That's why her tank mates are a coral banded shrimp, a yellow tail damsel, and a yellow coris wrasse. Nothing special, nothing expensive, and all stuff that in theory should be able to withstand her abuse.

The stories about the sand fanning are true though, I've never seen one not do it.

You now know the risks and the parameters of the decision, the choice is up to you.

bensanders
Nothing special, nothing expensive, and all stuff that in theory should be able to withstand her abuse.

^ I think this is the key. Placing the Maroon in the tank last, or making it room with a Sixline or other tough fish should do the trick.

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks agian for your responses.

I think this can be boiled down to one issue: I want to get a fish that can spend the rest of its life in the 20g.

It is my opinion that a maroon would be fine and happy in a 20g for its whole life, but I have no experience with them, this is based only on the research I have done.

I have not really made a decision yet, it will probably be a few weeks before I'm actually ready to go fish shopping.

Although, I like the thought of a maroon and a sixline.

Edited by LarryMoeCurly
I had one in a 75 and she did get get large and aggressive. The deal breaker for me was that she continuously fanned the sand bed to the point that large areas of the tank were down to the glass and piled on corals in other areas. Plus the water was always cloudy because of this.

Mine does this too!! Why????

I love my maroon. She is very nice towards my sixline and my other naked clown. I've had her for maybe two years and other than the recent sand thing, she's great and def my favorite! :D

LarryMoeCurly

My damsel is always fanning the sand, my sandbed is a bunch of dunes. I don't like it, but it would not be a deal-breaker if a maroon did this.

bensanders
Although, I like the thought of a maroon and a sixline.

Maroon, Sixline, and YWG is my favorite fish combo. Covers the gamut. It's unstoppable.

i have to agree with most people and say get a small one or don't get one. there is one t my LFS that owns a 55g tank... it is about 6in and bites every time an employee puts their hands in the tank.

My damsel is always fanning the sand, my sandbed is a bunch of dunes. I don't like it, but it would not be a deal-breaker if a maroon did this.

If i could go back in time, i would have gotten a pair of maroons and a sixline. So i say, go for it.

LarryMoeCurly

Just to be clear:

Some say get a maroon and nothing else.

Some say get a maroon and some other fish.

Some say get a pair of maroons.

Some say don't get any maroons.

:lol:

My ocellaris clowns bite me all the time. Sometimes they bite really hard. most of the time they search for a soft spot on my hand such as the webbing zone between the thumb and finger. I'm glad they are not 6" long.

As for how bad they are... Seems people say the are b-b-b-bad.