Pod Your Reef

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

nevermore1701

I seem to have a developing cyano and GHA problem. It seems to have started when I put the latest coral frag in, and that simply won't do. I'm planning on dipping my LR in a 50% hydrogen peroxide bath tomorrow during my water change, and making sure the sand is clear while I'm at it.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I seem to have a developing cyano and GHA problem. It seems to have started when I put the latest coral frag in, and that simply won't do. I'm planning on dipping my LR in a 50% hydrogen peroxide bath tomorrow during my water change, and making sure the sand is clear while I'm at it.

Did you read that peroxide thread? I haven't read the whole thing but I was thinking of trying that with one frag of nuclear greens. It's covered in a hair-like algae. I picked up a mexican turbo that is eating everything...but hasn't gone for that yet :rolleyes:

I may detach it from the rock and dip it in peroxide. I have just been lazy lately. I'm going on week 2 without a water change. I'm experimenting, actually. I'll be gone for 2.5 weeks and the tank won't be getting a water change then, so I want to see how it will do before I'm out of town! I'm nervous! So far so good. I just don't want to come home to cyano. I've dealt with that before and it's horrible.

I hope you get your issues under control. Good luck!

nevermore1701

I did read the peroxide thread, very informative. I was going to start just dosing about 2.5ml a day directly into the tank (I'm lazy too!) but the corals HATED it. The zoas all fully recovered after about 12 hours, but the couple of LPS looked really pissed off for almost two days, though they don't appear to be permanently harmed. I think I'll just dip/spot treat whenever I do water changes until everything's under control.

That said, I can already see a difference a day after a single 2.5ml dose, so I'm quite optimistic. My params are very good, and I didn't have any Cyano or GHA for almost a year, it only started showing up after I picked up the LPS frags from my LFS. I'll be dipping any new frag's bases for sure before I put them in the tank.

nevermore1701

I figured since I was due for a water change today, I'd try dipping the rocks while I was at it. I took 3 gallons out of the tank and kept it in a bucket. I put 2 cups of the water into a large bowl, and added 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide. I'd dip each rock for 2-3 minutes, and then put them into the bucket of old tank water. When they were all dipped I re-filled the tank with fresh saltwater and put the rocks back in.

I was completely unable to replicate my 'scape, and am very unimpressed with the way it looks now. I foresee many adjustments in the next day or two. In the meantime, the tank is really cloudy, the corals are again extremely unhappy, and the whole thing just generally looks like crap. I can only hope in a few days everything will be getting back to normal, and the algae will be in full retreat.

What a pain.

I figured since I was due for a water change today, I'd try dipping the rocks while I was at it. I took 3 gallons out of the tank and kept it in a bucket. I put 2 cups of the water into a large bowl, and added 2 cups of hydrogen peroxide. I'd dip each rock for 2-3 minutes, and then put them into the bucket of old tank water. When they were all dipped I re-filled the tank with fresh saltwater and put the rocks back in.

I was completely unable to replicate my 'scape, and am very unimpressed with the way it looks now. I foresee many adjustments in the next day or two. In the meantime, the tank is really cloudy, the corals are again extremely unhappy, and the whole thing just generally looks like crap. I can only hope in a few days everything will be getting back to normal, and the algae will be in full retreat.

What a pain.

I actually bought some peroxide yesterday and dipped my frag of nuc. greens! I was able to get most of the HA off but there is still some attached. A little bit attached to my base rock as well, which I did not remove for dipping. Not sure how this will play out for me.

I hope your tank is on it's way to back to normal!!!!!!!

nevermore1701
I actually bought some peroxide yesterday and dipped my frag of nuc. greens! I was able to get most of the HA off but there is still some attached. A little bit attached to my base rock as well, which I did not remove for dipping. Not sure how this will play out for me.

I hope your tank is on it's way to back to normal!!!!!!!

Can you lower the water level in the tank to the point where the algae on the rock is exposed? If so, you could just spot treat it while still in the tank.

Can you lower the water level in the tank to the point where the algae on the rock is exposed? If so, you could just spot treat it while still in the tank.

I could. I'm going to wait and see if my snails will eat it first. It's a really small patch. The frag HA is turning translucent...so that's a good sign. How's your tank doing today?

nevermore1701

Well, the zoas look fine, the trumpet looks ok but not great, and the acan looks piiiised. I'm worried about him. I'm pretty sure the trumpet's problem is being in too heavy flow, as the scape changed and his previous spot isn't as protected as it was. The acan, I believe, is basically just being a little #####, to use the technical term :P

Most, if not all of the cyano is completely gone, and a good portion of the GHA is wilting and turning white. A lot of my coralline has bleached and is getting eaten by the snails, which I'm not thrilled about, but it'll come back soon enough. I still haven't redone my rockwork, it's not pretty. Hope I don't have to re-dip anything, but there's only one rock that's really bad, so hopefully all will be well.

Well, the zoas look fine, the trumpet looks ok but not great, and the acan looks piiiised. I'm worried about him. I'm pretty sure the trumpet's problem is being in too heavy flow, as the scape changed and his previous spot isn't as protected as it was. The acan, I believe, is basically just being a little #####, to use the technical term :P

Most, if not all of the cyano is completely gone, and a good portion of the GHA is wilting and turning white. A lot of my coralline has bleached and is getting eaten by the snails, which I'm not thrilled about, but it'll come back soon enough. I still haven't redone my rockwork, it's not pretty. Hope I don't have to re-dip anything, but there's only one rock that's really bad, so hopefully all will be well.

I bet all will be well. Just needs a little time to stabilize after the disruption. You need to figure out your rockscape again. Maybe now is a good time to get that extra rock you wanted to add. The rock isn't the way you want it right now anyways. I'd say now is the perfect time :)

nevermore1701

I really should have got some more rock over the weekend, but I was too lazy :P

I got the right side pretty good, and the back is ok, but I'm still not real happy with the left side. Much better than it was though.

nevermore1701

Not sure what the deal is with my picture taking. Some days I can get really good shots, and then some just suck. It's not the camera, I'm using a Cannon T1i, so it's just me not knowing what the hell I'm doing :P.

I'm too tired to do a million re-takes, so here's some crappy pics from today.

IMG_8258.JPG

IMG_8260.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG

IMG_8262.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

IMG_8265.JPG

IMG_8266.JPG

IMG_8268.JPG

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8271.JPG

IMG_8272.JPG

IMG_8274.JPG

IMG_8276.JPG

Looks great! I think I like the scape better now. The top rock seems to fit nicely horizontally. Wasn't it at sort of an angle before? I think your pictures turned out great! I see no signs of HA either...wooohoo!!! Mine is gone from the frag I dipped. Peroxide is amazing!!!!!!

nevermore1701
Looks great! I think I like the scape better now. The top rock seems to fit nicely horizontally. Wasn't it at sort of an angle before? I think your pictures turned out great! I see no signs of HA either...wooohoo!!! Mine is gone from the frag I dipped. Peroxide is amazing!!!!!!

I do actually like this scape better than any of the previous ones, I was really glad to get that top rock level(ish). And yeah, the GHA is all but gone, and the Cyano is long gone. Peroxide rocks!

I do actually like this scape better than any of the previous ones, I was really glad to get that top rock level(ish). And yeah, the GHA is all but gone, and the Cyano is long gone. Peroxide rocks!

Did you have cyano on the sandbed or just the rocks? In the past I had trouble with it mostly on the sand so I'm curious (if that happens again)...how to get rid of it with peroxide. I guess I'd have to dose the tank, huh?

nevermore1701

I had it on both the sand and rocks. Not a whole ton, but enough that it needed to be taken care of. First I sucked up all I could with a turkey baster, then used said baster to blast as much of the remainder off the rocks as I could. Then spent about 15 minutes sucking the floating pieces out of the water column. I then dosed the tank once, dipped or spot treated all the rocks a couple of days later, then dosed the tank again on alternating days two more times. So something like:

Tuesday: Dose 2.5ml

Thursday: Dip/spot treat rocks

Saturday: Dose 2.5ml

Monday: Dose 2.5ml

As of today both types of algae are 100% gone, the Zoas look perfect, Trumpet looks great, and Acan looks pretty good, still improving. The mushroom also looks fantastic, he's grown a good 1/4" since I pulled him out of the shade at the back of the tank and put him out in the open on Thursday.

Couple of notes on dosing: It can be lethal to Xenia, I don't remember if you have any or not. Also, you might want to take your chaeto out. I haven't replaced mine since it all got sucked through the pump when I upgraded my return to the MJ900. I really need to rig some sort of ghetto screen to keep the dang stuff in chamber 2. Or maybe through it in the bottom of my media basket and move my light from chamber 2 to 1 and put my chemi-pure in chamber 2. That might actually be easier.

I also need to re-tune my flow direction, it's excavating sand at the front of the tank again since I moved the rocks around a bit. No rest for the wicked :P

My chaeto is nicely contained at the bottom of the media basket. I could see how it would move around if in the 2nd. chamber.

Hopefully it won't come to dosing for cyano, but if so...I'm definitely going to follow what you did! Thanks for the info! (no xenia in my tank).

Awesome! You were able to get that mushroom out after all :D

nevermore1701

I think I might move my light over to chamber 1 and get situated to put some chaeto in the bottom of the media basket. Might even throw some carbon in chamber 2 since there's gonna be lots of room in there, can't hurt. Just have to get more chaeto.... The LFS is out :huh:

nevermore1701
Nice looking! :)

Sounds like you copied the name of my tank :lol:

Heh, nice :P

I live in the middle of a very dry part of Texas, so the name seemed appropriate. It's even worse than usual this year though, it's rained once in the last three + months, and has been over 100* for almost the same time :o

That does sound arid...yikes! It probably cools down enough at night to open windows, right? That's how it is where I live. That's the nice thing about the desert, I guess. I'm a tropical girl at heart though. Someday I will live (at least part time) in the caribbean.

Do you have the jbj nano-glo light? It does a fantastic job of growing chaeto. Best light I've ever used for that.

nevermore1701

It doesn't drop below 90* til around midnight <_<

I have a DIY lightbox with a 5100k CF and little Marina LED for my chaeto, I'll have to look onto the one you have.

It doesn't drop below 90* til around midnight <_<

Oh, geeze! That's just wrong! So far this year, after 6:30pm I can open my windows for natural cooling. I know there will be days, this summer, when I won't be able to do that though!

nevermore1701

Came home today and saw a long shrimp antenna sticking out of the Koralia. Noooo!! Turns out the stupid peppermint had just molted and the molt had gotten sucked into the powerhead! Second time he's molted in a month, must be doing ok.

Archived