ReefCleaners.org

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are crazy!!!! I think it looks fantastic!!!! I like the placement of your rocks a lot and the rocks themselves!!!!! You've got a nice collection of zoas there too :D

nevermore1701
You are crazy!!!! I think it looks fantastic!!!! I like the placement of your rocks a lot and the rocks themselves!!!!! You've got a nice collection of zoas there too :D

They look OK, but god they're hard to keep from falling all over the place!

More Zoa shots:

IMG_7432.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

The Peppermint Shrimp hasn't made it around here yet....

IMG_7444.JPG

They look OK, but god they're hard to keep from falling all over the place!

Which, the rocks or the zoas? If rocks, you could try the same epoxy.

nevermore1701
Which, the rocks or the zoas? If rocks, you could try the same epoxy.

Rocks, but I'm not set on how the rocks are arranged enough to epoxy 'em just yet.

nevermore1701

Having some concerns about flow in my tank. I upgraded my return from stock to an MJ900, and put a Koralia 240 in around the same time. Lots of flow, the clowns seemed to like playing in it, zoas looked happy.

Then I added the little Trumpet. Even down on the sand, mostly shielded by rocks, and well out of direct flow, whichever head was closest to the flow started to get kind of squished looking. I'd rotate the rock the coral is on, and the unhappy head would puff back up, but the new head facing that direction would start looking pissed.

This morning I tried turning the Koralia off, and while everything seems ok, I;m worried that the flow might not be enough. Also, the flow from the return is excavating a huge hole front and center in the sand. It's all the way down to the glass, and almost big enough for me to put my hand in, with the sand just piling up toward the middle of the tank. I've tried rotating the nozzle to different angles, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to turn the 240 back on, but I don't know where to put the Trumpet, or where to point the Koralia that would keep it from flattening the poor coral.

Having some concerns about flow in my tank. I upgraded my return from stock to an MJ900, and put a Koralia 240 in around the same time. Lots of flow, the clowns seemed to like playing in it, zoas looked happy.

Then I added the little Trumpet. Even down on the sand, mostly shielded by rocks, and well out of direct flow, whichever head was closest to the flow started to get kind of squished looking. I'd rotate the rock the coral is on, and the unhappy head would puff back up, but the new head facing that direction would start looking pissed.

This morning I tried turning the Koralia off, and while everything seems ok, I;m worried that the flow might not be enough. Also, the flow from the return is excavating a huge hole front and center in the sand. It's all the way down to the glass, and almost big enough for me to put my hand in, with the sand just piling up toward the middle of the tank. I've tried rotating the nozzle to different angles, but that didn't seem to make any difference. Anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I'd like to turn the 240 back on, but I don't know where to put the Trumpet, or where to point the Koralia that would keep it from flattening the poor coral.

Do you still have the original pump? Maybe try that with the koralia and see what that gives you. Getting flow just right is always a pita for me. One thing will be happy and another thing won't. My favorite red mushrooms have all moved because the flow was too much for them. Is the koralia facing the return flow at all. Maybe if they are, that will disperse the flow enough so that the return pump flow isn't hitting the front glass and causing that huge hole in the front.

As far as the rock work. You probably will need to add bigger pieces to get the look you are going for. I think you've gotten a great look out of what you have and to change for the better you'd need to add more rocks.

IMG_7444.JPG

I love this peach colored zoa a lot!!!!!

I just realized you have a Zoe and I have a Chloe...:lol: Mine's a Bichon.

nevermore1701

I just wish I could find a good sheltered spot for the Trumpet. It just looks so darn happy since I've turned the Koralia off. The heads have plumped up to almost double their previous size, and it really lloks great. The zoas still look good, so I just need to get the sand blowing under control. Maybe I should invest in a loc line? It annoys me, I could have got a nice GSP, clove, or some other decent size frag for the money I spent on the 240 :P

I just wish I could find a good sheltered spot for the Trumpet. It just looks so darn happy since I've turned the Koralia off. The heads have plumped up to almost double their previous size, and it really lloks great. The zoas still look good, so I just need to get the sand blowing under control. Maybe I should invest in a loc line? It annoys me, I could have got a nice GSP, clove, or some other decent size frag for the money I spent on the 240 :P

I bet if you leave everything going, the trumpet will eventually adjust. How long have you had the trumpet? You just need to figure out something with the sand hole in the front.

:lol: that goby likes to get in all the photos!!!!!

Well, what a finicky trumpet. I would be tempted to leave the flow going for a few days and see what happens.

nevermore1701

The goby is an attention whore! I had the flow on for a week or so, and there was always one head that looked like crap. Bleh.

nevermore1701

No, but my Peppermint shrimp sure is mowing through them! :D

And thanks for the compliment on the 'scape, I'm a bit self conscious about it :P

nevermore1701

Trying one more thing before I ditch the Koralia. I turned the return nozzle so it's horizontal instead of diagonal, which I think should help with the sand. I also pointed the 240 basically directly at the return. It looks (from the junk I stirred up in the process) that I still have good flow pretty much everywhere but right at the bottom middle of the tank, which is right where I want the Trumpet. I'll give it a day and see how that does.

Trying one more thing before I ditch the Koralia. I turned the return nozzle so it's horizontal instead of diagonal, which I think should help with the sand. I also pointed the 240 basically directly at the return. It looks (from the junk I stirred up in the process) that I still have good flow pretty much everywhere but right at the bottom middle of the tank, which is right where I want the Trumpet. I'll give it a day and see how that does.

Fingers crossed that it works! It should disperse the water good if they are aimed at each other.

nevermore1701

I may have to fine tune it a little bit, but so far it appears to be working. Minimal sand shifting and all 4 heads on the Trumpet look good, if not great. I think I'll leave it like this and see how it is in the morning. Might turn it all off for 20 minutes or so to give the Trumpet some mysis later tonight.

*is optimistic*

I may have to fine tune it a little bit, but so far it appears to be working. Minimal sand shifting and all 4 heads on the Trumpet look good, if not great. I think I'll leave it like this and see how it is in the morning. Might turn it all off for 20 minutes or so to give the Trumpet some mysis later tonight.

*is optimistic*

:happydance:

nevermore1701

Fed the Trumpet, moved it a hair closer to one of the rocks, and tweaked the flow direction just a hair, looks like all is well. Now I just need to figure out how to get to that damn mushroom without tearing my rocks apart.

Fed the Trumpet, moved it a hair closer to one of the rocks, and tweaked the flow direction just a hair, looks like all is well. Now I just need to figure out how to get to that damn mushroom without tearing my rocks apart.

Great news! If it were me, I'd just let the mushroom do it's thing. I've got plenty of displaced mushrooms in my tank. Some I can barely see...some I can't see at all. Maybe if you add more rock and change the rock scape you can get to it then.

nevermore1701

No mushrooms caught my eye today, but they did have a somewhat interesting acan that I picked up, kind of khaki with green tints, 9 or 10 heads, a couple of which look like they recently split. It turned a dark brown on the way home, but I think it should be fine.

They also have some nice looking Kenya Trees, GSP, and Clove Polyps that I'm thinking about. Wish they had more mushrooms.

Archived