SaltCritters.com

Neto's DIY 22g ULNS Shallow Tank

Neto

When I unplug my pump the water siphons back through the return line. I don't think it's branded 'locline' but it's the same thing. I've got it so the end of the return is near the surface so it doesn't bring that much back into the sump. I'm looking into t-splitting the return. That way I can get low flow with the returns on the sides and high / random flow in the middle over the sps.

Is your tank recovering well? You loose anything? Refugium yet?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My next plan is to add a10g refugium that will be coupled to the 10g that I currently have. I currently have a 10g with a hole in it. I plan to put macroalgae on it and also a filter sock.

Here is a small picture of my plans:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side view of tanks A & B

FY12SumpPlans.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front view of tank B

FY12SumpPlansB.jpg

Looks like a good design. I'm running a 16H tank as a sump. Initially I had used simple eggcrate to block the macros and the return, but I think I'll have to screen it and attach it to the tank itself. That or find some rubber strips or something to make it stay in place. I'm getting a lot of crap on the return and am having to use the sponge on the nozzle. It gets clogged...so on... I guess I'll still have to clean the screen but way less often. I'm trying to avoid adding glass just yet. Big project with the tank already running. I would have built a fuge but I had to rush things to get the stock transferred from the biocube to this.

What skimmer u looking at? I ordered the Hydor Slim Skim (not nano) yesterday. Seems perfect.

When I unplug my pump the water siphons back through the return line. I don't think it's branded 'locline' but it's the same thing. I've got it so the end of the return is near the surface so it doesn't bring that much back into the sump. I'm looking into t-splitting the return. That way I can get low flow with the returns on the sides and high / random flow in the middle over the sps.

Is your tank recovering well? You loose anything? Refugium yet?

Yes tank is almost 100% recovered. Zoas are out, some need to color up more but at least they are out. Star polyps are still struggling, frogspawn is out and fully open. Everything else looks good. I havent had time to work on the refugium, I dont think I iwll be able to put another 10g so the above design will not work :( because it doesnt fit. I will try to use my other 5.5gallon and see.

Looks like a good design. I'm running a 16H tank as a sump. Initially I had used simple eggcrate to block the macros and the return, but I think I'll have to screen it and attach it to the tank itself. That or find some rubber strips or something to make it stay in place. I'm getting a lot of crap on the return and am having to use the sponge on the nozzle. It gets clogged...so on... I guess I'll still have to clean the screen but way less often. I'm trying to avoid adding glass just yet. Big project with the tank already running. I would have built a fuge but I had to rush things to get the stock transferred from the biocube to this.

What skimmer u looking at? I ordered the Hydor Slim Skim (not nano) yesterday. Seems perfect.

16h is good as sump, at least you can have more water than I do. The more water there is, the more stable the tank is... If you see Zook's Tank, his tank has the same dimensions as my tank but his is so successfull because he has a 30g sump and a 20g refugium! I wish I could fit those in my cabinet lol.

The skimmer that I have is a PSK-75 ESHOPPS and its wonderfull. I have to empty the cup at 3 days max.

Since I've been on NR I've thought it would be cool to have a 20g cube display and a huge fuge and sump in another room or under the cabinets. Well good luck with your corals.

Awesome tank, now I got the shallow cube tank fever. I guess any decent glass shop could get the glass huh? Yep I see a nem shallow cube in my future. Keep it up.

Awesome tank, now I got the shallow cube tank fever. I guess any decent glass shop could get the glass huh? Yep I see a nem shallow cube in my future. Keep it up.

I know how you feel, the shallow tank fever got me too! I did a rimless 10g 1 year prior this one, and took it down to build the shallow. My wife told me that this was my last build for a while l@l and I agreed of course!

Yes, you can purchase the glass from a reputable glass shop around, make sure they do polished edges (flat and mirror like) and also 1/4" glass. If you can find low iron then that is even better. It costed me in the neighborhood of $100 - $140 I cant remember exactly but it was worth it.

I just tested parameters and these are the results:

Calcium: 420

Alk: 8dkh

Magnesium: 1360

Should I raise my alk a little more?

For some reason I've always had low alk. I feel like things look better when I start dosing to raise it along with ph. Seems alk at 8-9 is the sweet spot.

For some reason I've always had low alk. I feel like things look better when I start dosing to raise it along with ph. Seems alk at 8-9 is the sweet spot.

Usually whenever I have low alk, some of my zoas close up.

Nice build. I really like the finish on the birch ply. How did you do that?

I did a natural polyshade finish with a sponge.

Calcium: 420

Alk: 8dkh

Magnesium: 1360

Should I raise my alk a little more?

The Red Sea Calcium test kit has the following suggestions:

Soft Corals: 33ppt, 8.2 dKH, 430 mg/l Ca, 1280 mg/l Mg

LPS: 33ppt, 12.1 dKH, 440 mg/l Ca, 1310 mg/l Mg

SPS Corals / frags: 35ppt, 12.6 dKH, 465 mg/l Ca, 1390 mg/l Mg

Mature corals: 35ppt, 8.2 dKH, 430 mg/l Ca, 1310 mg/l Mg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys thanks for all the comments!

I recently purchased a used media reactor to fight my diatom problem. I will be running it with a brand new maxi-jet 600 and some BRS GFO. I cant wait to set it up, I am still waiting for the items to arrive! The model is a Grey Sea Aquatics Media Reactor Model UR512.. It looks like a great quality, I believe GSA converted to avast marine http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/.

GSAMediaReactor.jpg

I will take better pictures buy here are some recent pictures with very low light on some.

P1030230.jpg

P1030243.jpg

P1030253.jpg

_DSC0025.jpg

Miami Hurracane

_DSC0012.jpg

_DSC0027.jpg

_DSC0002.jpg

War Coral

_DSC0003.jpg

_DSC0006.jpg

If I sent you some tubes and a return envelop would you mind sending me a sample of your diatom problem?

I dont mind at all! :)

Archived