15584891070_91c493a59c_c.jpg

FTS - 7/2013

pecera-07-09-13004_800x533_zpsec950ce3.j

FTS - 03/21/12
_DSC0098.jpg

TOP Shot - 03/21/12
_DSC0129.jpg

_DSC0119.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

Here we go!!

I am a big fan of DIY and I have been building this project for the past two months or so. Its my first time working with wood and glass so bare with me! The main concept of this build was to have a tank where you can see through all 4 sides and also to have a contemporary/modern look. The tank will not have any pvc/overflow running out of the back glass, all the pvc will go through the bottom of the glass.

I spent less than $400 for everything excluding tools. The glass itself was $130 for low iron and regular bottom and the wood was around $100 for 2 panels and the 2x4's.

Inspiration
Rehype's Tank (Hypes Archipelago)
Zook's Tank (Shallow Mix)
AJ_Tsin (Shallow Rimless)

Tank Specs
Dimensions: 24"x24"x9"
Volume: 22gal
Silicone: 999 dow corning (black)
Glass: 1/4" Polished edges, low Iron on Sides (Front, back, left, right) and regular on bottom

Stand Specs
Frame: 2"x4" wood
Panels: 1/2" thick birch

Equipment (updated 11-08-14)
ATI Powermodule 6x24w

MP10WES

mag drive 9B return pump
eshopps psk-75
marine color 3head dosing pumps

DIY zeovit automated reactor

---------------------------PICTURES---------------------------

DIY TANK
I used Low Iron Glass for all 4 sides (excluding bottom), see the difference below

P1020715.jpg
Prep
P1020730.jpg
Used this silicone
P1020724.jpg
P1020731.jpg
Final Product =)
P1020732.jpg

DIY STAND
Frame
P1020700.jpg
P1020698.jpg
P1020703.jpg

Still need to sand here and there and also paint it
P1020797.jpg
P1020798.jpg
P1020794.jpg
P1020801.jpg
P1020803.jpg
I will paint the stand the same color as the TV stand
P1020799.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great man! same with the stand. I'll be following along. I'm new to the whole reef experience. My new ADA tank will be in next week! Hope I can learn something.

digitalfreq

Wow! This looks awesome! This is exactly what i wanted to do for my next tank! I have a question for you. I've been looking or manufacturers for shallow square tanks. Was there a reason you chose to build the tank instead of buying it? Was the tank hard to make?

Thanks

Wow! This looks awesome! This is exactly what i wanted to do for my next tank! I have a question for you. I've been looking or manufacturers for shallow square tanks. Was there a reason you chose to build the tank instead of buying it? Was the tank hard to make?

Thanks

Well I would have chosen ADA but they did not make a tank with the dimensions I wanted. I chose to do it myself because of the price. You will not find a similar tank out there with 4 low iron sides and 3 drilled holes for $130 trust me...

It was hard to apply silicone, I had to do it twice removing the silicone from the 1st try was a pita. Thank God that I had a dremmel with the polisher tips.... If you do it yourself, apply enough silicone, cover everything and be quick! Once the silicone starts drying, if you touch it to clean the excess then it will look bad....

Looks great man. I vote to stain the stand the same color as your other furniture. It will only make it looks sharper in my opinion.

What brand heatsink is that?

Looks great man. I vote to stain the stand the same color as your other furniture. It will only make it looks sharper in my opinion.

What brand heatsink is that?

For the leds?

heatsinkusa.com

I still need to build the housing for the led fixture

Looks great!

thanks man, your tank is one of my inspirations!

• 6 months later...

Very nice! Did you have the glass ordered online or from a local shop? I called around the town and could not find a shop that knows starfire glass. Could you post some pictures on your herbie overflow and how everything is connected in your sump?

Wow looks awesome! More pics dude....

Thanks, will take some more soon!

Very nice! Did you have the glass ordered online or from a local shop? I called around the town and could not find a shop that knows starfire glass. Could you post some pictures on your herbie overflow and how everything is connected in your sump?

I ordered the glass locally, but it was "low iron glass" , not the same as starphire even though its low iron, starphire is more clear i think.

I will take some pics of the connections soon, keep in touch.

Wow, how did you learn to do this all DIY so nice!! ;)

lol, well for me DIY jobs are a hobbie too, so I enjoy building cabinets or tanks.. Internet is a great resource to find how to do things!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived