Top Shelf Aquatics

Rimless 24 JBJ Nano

KissMyDSM

Well, I decided to combine my 40B and 24Nano to make one less headache. The end result is that my clowns and gobie get more room and the 40 gets more light and flow. It was fun while it lasted but I seem to be moving in the direction of bigger and better. I will post updates on my 40B thread when I get a chance.

FTS: 5/16/2012

IMG_1607.jpg

Equipment List:

Tank: JbJ 24 Gallon Nano Cube

Heater: Fluval 150W

Flow: Koralia 450, Hydor rear chamber pump, sump return is some random power head I had laying around.

Sump: Elos

Lighting: 2 x Rapid PAR38's with custom Light Tree

Livestock:

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (One misbar)

x1 Yellow Watchman Gobie

x1 Scooter Blenny female (Semi Red color morph)

x1 Fire Shrimp

x1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Cali Tortusa

Blastomussa

Tri Color

Blue tipped Yellow Tenuis

Strawberry Shortcake Acro

Pastrata

Red Monti Cap

Green w/ blue polyp Monti Cap

x2 Millepora

Green polyp Purple Bonsai

Green BTA (Watermelon Color scheme)

Green Hairy Mushroom

Florida Ric (Orange and Blue)

Pink Pocillopora

Pink Birdsnest

Assorted Zoanthids and Palythoa

Nassarius, Cerith, Dwarf Cerith, Stomatela snails.

Tank was wet on February 15th 2011

Start

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

Switch from stock lights to one BoostLED Par 30

IMG_0757.jpg

After first few pieces of livestock

IMG_0951.jpg

First fish!

IMG_0924.jpg

First Rescape :P

IMG_0966.jpg

Final scape

IMG_1179.jpg

Equipment upgrades finally finished and ready for the longterm

IMG_1307.jpg

One year later.

IMG_1467.jpg

Thanks to everyone on Nano-Reef and my local friends/enthusiasts especially Jacob and Brian!

• 4 weeks later...
Can you post pics of how you have the lights? Do you feel that two bulbs are enough?

I will get some pics up of the bulbs on this months update. Sorry I took so long to reply. I do feel like two bulbs is more than sufficient. Everything is really starting to take off. Even got a little Coraline going finally so it seems like the tank is happy thus far. I will be purchasing BoostLED's light fixtures in a month or so to get rid off the large gangly office/desk lamp I am using atm.

I will do my update next weekend with FTS and lamp config pics.

So decided to get the Dremel out and de-rim the tank. Looks awesome without the bulky rim. No point in having it anymore. Also ordered an Eshopps sump and overflow. Going to move the chaeto and spare rock I have down below and put it all on a seperate light cycle from the display tank. The BoostLED lamp holders are en route as well. Should be a pretty decent little 24g setup when I am done.

I will get pics up in the next couple of days. I haven't removed all of the silicone yet but it already looks awesome....at least to me it feels like a whole new tank.

You might want to remove the housing around the LED's It can cause your lights to overheat. Although this is a bit hearsay as I and not willing to find out first hand.

As for people wanting to know how to give the cube a rim job... No idea how you did yours but I started at the center on the back wall and cut away at the rim with a razor blade till it was cut in two. The I would pry the rim to one side and slide a razor as deep as possible to slice at the silicone. When the silicon was sliced the best I could get it all the way around the tank on both inside and outside. I grabbed the rim where I cut it apart and pulled it away from the glass really really hard.

Since Mine is just a 12 gallon cube, I gutted the filter chamber out to give me a bout 3 1/2 more inches of display room. I just need to tint the back now since I removed the vinyl.

Back to your LEDs, if you have the money then I can't see a reason not to get the BoostLED Goosenecks. I didn't really have much spare cash when I got a bulb for my 20L. What I did was make a light hanger out of 1/2 inch PVC. I tried to explain it and just failed so got off my lazy ass to take a photo...

IMG_1730.jpg

Cost me $30 for 12x 90 degree elbows, 12x "T"s, 20 feet of 1/2 pvc. 2x 8 ft extension cords, 2x powerstrips, and Electrical tape. Already had some plug in light sockets but these are usually about $1.50 each. I cut about a foot off the end of the extension cord at the male end so that I could feed it through the Pipe. You do not want the splice to be inside the Pipe because if you want to raise or lower the cord, you will not only have to seperate some of the joints but you will have to pull very hard.

The middle arm will have to be reinforced at a later time when I get a 3rd bulb. Also, the T5 in this picture are on the way out. I just had not taken them off yet. One of the ballast burned out which is the reason I am converting it over to LED. It was either $35 for a new ballast, $80 for a whole new Fixture, or go with what I really wanted and just change to LED.

@Bishop - Yes. The bulbs run a lot hotter when incased by a fixture. I do NOT recommend it.

Taking the rim off of the 24g JBJ nano is somewhat risky so I do not take ANY responsibility if your tank cracks or to much silicone is removed from using the method I used.

This is a picture of where I made the incisions with the thin metal blade on the Dremel. Make sure you are in good light. I performed this with everything in the tank but with a lower water level and a few things to help block debris from falling into the tank.

IMG_0716-1.jpg

Start from the top of the rim and slowly keep bumping it with the cutting wheel until you see silicone. Then slowly work the cut down both sides. GO SLOW. Take as much time as you need. Get to excited and you will scuff the glass!

Make the same cuts on the back corners and then start working on popping off the separate pieces from the silicone. If it feels like it is solid then check your cut and try again. They are stuck on there pretty damn good.

Take caution on the back parts. You do not want to exert to much pressure as there is a seam where the back pane and front pane meet. Try to keep some of the silicone around the area where the to panes meet.

IMG_1080.jpg

If you make it this far :P then get a razor blade and start removing excess silicone. Be careful though because the rim can cut the crap out of you. This whole process took about an hour and a half.

Here is the after product:

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Thanks and good luck if you so choose to tackle this!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I will get some more pics soon with the new additions I got down in Portland Oregon this weekend.

And a big thanks for watching over the tank this weekend.....even if it is not as epic as yours!

I heard the Cat had it out for you. Should we muzzle him next time rofl

Thanks! I will get some more pics soon with the new additions I got down in Portland Oregon this weekend.

And a big thanks for watching over the tank this weekend.....even if it is not as epic as yours!

I heard the Cat had it out for you. Should we muzzle him next time rofl

Sweet! I head you got some pretty cool things!

Your tank is pretty awesome, mine is not looking great at the moment anyway :P

That is no joke! The cat is a murderer.

• 1 month later...

Yes! I was going to post in here to harass you about adding more photos :lol:

The colors look better in person for the rimless tank, I think some editing needs to be done on those photos :P That 40 looks so clean!

*sigh* Yea I should fiddle with the camera settings some more I suppose. Today the clam let Arnie sit on top of it for a few and had no problem with it....silly gobie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived