• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Fishnoob

Fishnoob

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2009

I'm confused about what the difference is between these. Is one better than the other?

rapid LED

rapid LED

Nano Reefer

• Sponsor
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 11 Nov 2009
The XP-E is about 20% "brighter" than the XR-E, however the lens selection isn't as good (yet).

mad28gnc

mad28gnc

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 01 Jan 2010
i have both on different units
i think the xp-e look a little brighter but it could be just be i havent tested this
i thought i read somewhere they are a lil more efficient
also i have read that you should not mix then on the same driver
maybe evil 66 can correct me

The XP-E is about 20% "brighter" than the XR-E, however the lens selection isn't as good (yet).

whats up rapid you guys rock
so do you evil ;)
Posted Image
Don't drink water! Fish have sex in it!

cubic foot of sexy tech http://www.nano-reef...?...t&p=4001797

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
They are no brighter. The XP-E has a very slight efficiency gain (5%) from a slightly lower forward voltage at the same current. The output at the same current is identical. For all intents and purposes, they are the same, with the XP-E being smaller.It's the XP-G and XP-E HE (high efficiency, only in white) that has a major gain in output for the same current.

There is no issue mixing and matching different LEDs on the same driver. You just have to make sure that the total forward voltage of all the LEDs is within the range of the driver, and that all LEDs can run at the desired current.

Don't mean to step on your toes Rapid. Just clarifying.

Edited by evilc66, 06 May 2011 - 01:31 PM.

cptbjorn

cptbjorn

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,897 posts
  • Joined 03 May 2009
  • Seattle, WA
With just the bare emitters (no lenses), the XP series have a significantly wider output, so if you have a shallow tank it is a little easier to light it evenly with XPs. XR can accomplish the same thing but the light has to be higher off the water.

But the brightness groups for the two series are the same for colored LEDs so the output should be more or less identical for royal blues.

XP-G whites though are brighter, especially since they can run at 1500ma.