7 replies to this topic

reefer38

reefer38

Teen Aquarist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2010
  • Southern Maryland

first off, i would like to thank monochrome5 for the idea of a pest anemone tank (here is his)

here is the tank before i added the AIO feature to it.
Posted Image

and here it is after
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

the equipment i will be using is as follows:
hagen powerhead 301
walmart par30 led bulb
tetra 50w heater
filter floss
activated carbon in filter bags

reefer38

reefer38

Teen Aquarist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2010
  • Southern Maryland
here are some pictures if the tank all set up. i should be getting the aiptasia tomorrow.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

reefer38

reefer38

Teen Aquarist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2010
  • Southern Maryland
i added some dwarf ceriths, hermits, and an emerald crab (he was eating my macros) from my reef tank.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

nate82

nate82

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 16 Aug 2008
  • Long Island, NY
You should add some mojanos. They're the most beautiful pests imo. Cool concept.

reefer38

reefer38

Teen Aquarist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2010
  • Southern Maryland

You should add some mojanos. They're the most beautiful pests imo. Cool concept.

if i ever see any at my LFS or if a local reefer has some they dont want i definitely will.
have you seen the ones with the fancy colors? like purple and green. sooo awesome!

mmcguffi

mmcguffi

meow mixer

• Members
  • 3,403 posts
  • Joined 16 Jan 2011
  • Ann Arbor MI
The first time I visited my LFS I saw a beautiful mojano on some LR and asked if I could buy it not knowing what it was. The guy said, "This? It's a stupid pest, you dont want it" and threw it away. In retrospect he was a stupid LFS employee, it was better looking than a lot of corals out there :tears:

Awesome concept for a tank! Maintenance should be easy :) What exactly do you have goin on the the sump?

reefer38

reefer38

Teen Aquarist

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Joined 12 Oct 2010
  • Southern Maryland

Awesome concept for a tank! Maintenance should be easy :) What exactly do you have goin on the the sump?

are you referring to the filter section in the back of the tank as the sump? there is no larger tank below it. but i have some filter floss, carbon, filter pellets, the heater (50 watt), and the hagen 301 pump.

i've had to top off the tank almost everyday so far, i need to get a cover for it. i also spot feed the two larger anemones with blood worms occasionally.

Monochrome5

Monochrome5

Shake Your Wrasse

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Joined 05 Jan 2011
  • Charlotte, NC
I saw this and was like "Hey, that's my idea!". Then I read the first sentence haha :lol:

Anyway, looks great! If you'd like, I can take a walk down the dock and pull off some blood red aiptasia for you (the ones I have in my tank). They're a blast! Glad to see someone else diving into the world of pest anemones!

PS: Following along :)

Edited by Monochrome5, 16 May 2011 - 07:31 PM.

Reef tanks are like race cars - they're flashy, expensive, and the faster you go the harder you crash.

Monochrome5's 150G Wrasse Reef