Pod Your Reef

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

clearly you want to do the fuge so just do the fuge with no light, do the spill effect. AC70 will hold around 1/4 of a gallon i think.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clearly you want to do the fuge so just do the fuge with no light, do the spill effect. AC70 will hold around 1/4 of a gallon i think.

rofl hehehehehehehe

Ya

You right!

:P

alfiefive
rofl hehehehehehehe

Ya

You right!

:P

You are probably overthinking it! But I can share my experience in a similarly sized tank setup! I initially wanted to do the "light spillover" theory with my AC70 as well.

One thing I noticed on my AC70 when I initially tested the light spill effect is that I did not consider the height of my tank lighting over the rim of the tank. I should have paid attention to this, because the top of the AC70 will be about two inches above the rim of my tank, and the grate on the outflow and the color of the AC70 plastic will block out a significant portion of light (that light will either go into the top of the AC70 or through a pane of glass and through the tinted AC70 plastic). So the "range" of your light horizontally will be something you will probably notice because of how the AC70 is mounted and the tint, etc.

Just be prepared to make an additional lighting arrangement if things kept in your fuge aren't growing like you would like them to be and go for it!

I had that little hiccup but I am glad that I chose an AC70 mod, noticed increased stability by adding additional water volume and macro population, appreciate hiding my heater, like having room for some floss, and had fun doing the project. You will too.

Just be prepared to make an additional lighting arrangement if things kept in your fuge aren't growing like you would like them to be and go for it!

Thanks alfie, this is good to know. I was already thinking about what I might do for lighting the fuge just in case I do reverse photoperiod I am leaning toward a submersible light in the fuge itself, more hidden equipment. :ninja: But I will cross that road when I get to it.

Yeah, I do not really think I want to keep Chaeto in display, but I just don't want the hassle of reverse photoperiod if I keep it in an AC70 fuge, which is what I am leaning toward.

However...Now that Newman brought it up, I am curious as to how competitive the more decroative macros are when it comes to nutrients. The only thing that bothers me about the AC70 is that it is sooo big. Oh wait, that is the reason I want to get it, to get the heater out of the Display area!

So let's see here. The main reasons I wanted to go with the AC70:

• Heater out of sight
  • place for Chemipure ( absolutely LOVE the water polishing I get with Chemi-Pure)
  • place for chaeto
  • gas exchange
  • more water volume (by the way, anyone know how much water volume would be in an ac70 with filter media in it?)
  • fuge for pods (I think my corals and/or brittle star decimated the population a while back)

So still leaning toward the AC70 with fuge, but leery of trying it without a reverse photoperiod on the fuge, and not liking idea of the extra set up a reverse photoperiod would entail. Plus the extra equipment that would be needed. I know i know, it's just a light, but it's just one more cord I don't want.

Soooo,

Advantages of no Fuge/Flter:

• Less equipment
  • Less to go wrong
  • less power cords
  • more natural (maybe more stable in the long run?)

:weighsinbalance:

I still don't know, but leaning toward AC70

Ok,

Display Macro Recommendations anyone?

Or other comments please? Am I just really overthinking this? :o

I just run lights over my HOB fuge 24/7. I don't bother with a reverse photoperiod. Chaeto grows just fine with constant light.

I just run lights over my HOB fuge 24/7. I don't bother with a reverse photoperiod. Chaeto grows just fine with constant light.

Thanks, probably do that.

Christmas is coming!

AC70

InTank Media Basket

Mag Float

LEDs

Snails

mini Carpet nem

Got the snails!

picosnails.jpg

Got these Dwarf Ceriths, 2 Nassarius, and two Florida Ceriths (Thanks John and Reef Cleaners!)

These were hanging together most of today. I got to see the Nassarius pop out of the sandbed and haul itself across the sand, wow! they are fast!

I am going to wait a few days and then test water.

Snails have been in for two days now, just tested water. Everything is still good.

PH - 8.3

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

temp - 79

SG - 1.025

Looks like we will begin changing over from the Tetra 1.5 G when the mini carpet gets here.

:D

Yippee! media Basket is shipping! Thanks Steve and InTank!

:happydance:

So after media basket is here, and AC70 will be here this week, mini carpet prolly by later this week, Work ahead!

The chaeto I stuck behind some rock, but it is going everywhere, so i put it in a upside-down plastic cup with holes in it and anchored it to the sand with the edge of a rock, it gets more light now. It will go in the media basket that will be in the AC70. Along with my heater, and Chemi-pure, and some floss. I just have to remember to change the floss often!

Wow!, Those Nassarius snails are pretty amazing! They are very quick, and they seem to pop out of the sand bed at dusk and look for food. Cool little guys, thanks John and Reef Cleaners!

Yeah MD, glad to see you're back! Reef Cleaners, great place. All the snails I got from them lived, all are working hard in the tank.

Yeah MD, glad to see you're back! Reef Cleaners, great place. All the snails I got from them lived, all are working hard in the tank.

good to know!

Got my Mini Mini today from sfork. Of course, my camera does not do it justice! But anyway, here's the start of the Finnex!

mini_MINI.jpg

Only Problem is It floats up to my Powerhead when I turn it on! So I only have the HOB turned on! Is this going to be an Issue? Should I wait until it finds a spot to settle? It is moving around the tank right now!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Well, it is the stock HOB, it is not very powerful. That Mini is walking on the rock again! Weird to see an animal of this sort go mobile.

:0)

It ate whole Mysis. It seems to be like the Duncan.

It's staying put now with the K Nano turned on.

Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone :happydance: :happydance: Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone :happydance: :happydance:

Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone :happydance: :happydance: Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone :happydance: :happydance: Mini Mini, Carpet Anemone

Ok, I'm done@!

B)

Well Yeah! But right now, it's the only thing in the tank beside the snails hehe. Can't wait to get the rest of the livestock in

Ok,

So I officially tank at DIY

But here is the tank with new light fixture, LED's 4 CW, 4 RB, 1 Blue

For what it's worth.....

4gfull.jpg

Archived