Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came here thinking this was a tank filled with Finnex watches, imagine my disappointment, that turned to admiration! ;)

Love the scape! Might want to move the heater though ;)

:D

I would say mebbe get a couple snails in there and give it another week and see where parameters are at next Sat.

I would say mebbe get a couple snails in there and give it another week and see where parameters are at next Sat.

+1

BTW I really reccomend the inTank AC70 basket, firggin beast and its sexy, for a mere $62 you will be set. yes I spent that much on it, I have had my money saved up for this tank for about a year.

For snails I would do dwarf ceriths or a Zebra Turbo :D

Heater will be moved.

Yeah, I am def going to get an AC70, but the InTank Basket makes the total outlay more than I wish to spend right now, but....

(sigh)

I guess I will have to take the dive, as I really don't want to do the DIY thing to the AC70. I already have a heater that will fit in there, my background is black, so you won't be able to see much of the Filter.

I am also considering, since I have the timer to do it with, once I get the heater out of the tank and the proper heater in the AC70, to hook up another small pump and put the two in tank pumps on an alternating timer, every fifteen minutes, to change the flow more.

It is going to depend on how stealthy the other pump will look in the tank. The K Nano, although I really like it is much bigger than i expected, sooooo...

Hmmmm, I am all about waiting to see what happens, I am thinking about waiting until I get some more good water readings before I add CUC. Not to mention I would have to steal them from my Tetra tank! I might go ahead and order a small crew from Reef Cleaners and then if my water goes south by the time I get them, I will put them in the Tetra until I can put them into the Finnex

What is a Finnex Watch?

friar

Heater will be moved.

Yeah, I am def going to get an AC70, but the InTank Basket makes the total outlay more than I wish to spend right now, but....

(sigh)

I guess I will have to take the dive, as I really don't want to do the DIY thing to the AC70. I already have a heater that will fit in there, my background is black, so you won't be able to see much of the Filter.

I am also considering, since I have the timer to do it with, once I get the heater out of the tank and the proper heater in the AC70, to hook up another small pump and put the two in tank pumps on an alternating timer, every fifteen minutes, to change the flow more.

It is going to depend on how stealthy the other pump will look in the tank. The K Nano, although I really like it is much bigger than i expected, sooooo...

Hmmmm, I am all about waiting to see what happens, I am thinking about waiting until I get some more good water readings before I add CUC. Not to mention I would have to steal them from my Tetra tank! I might go ahead and order a small crew from Reef Cleaners and then if my water goes south by the time I get them, I will put them in the Tetra until I can put them into the Finnex

What is a Finnex Watch?

friar

ok cool!

omg I'm so stupid, I was thinking of Rolex watches, such a 12 y/o trying to be humorous :D

I ordered a small crew from Reef Cleaners And some Macro It will all go in the Tetra until The Finnex is ready

what does it consist of?

Mini-Dude
Ceriths Nassarius, thats all for now, plus some chaeto

should be enough to cover that tank, you should also get some hermits at some point

Ceriths Nassarius, thats all for now, plus some chaeto

Nice choice on the Nassarius! I watched my LFS feed theirs and it's fun to watch them come up from the sandbed like zombies! Let me know how they work out! :happy:

Water?

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

PH - 8.3

Calcium - 560 too high I think

SG - 1.026

Temp - 79 degrees

some GHA on glass and rocks, not very much (yet)

Diatoms are about the same.

No livestock yet.

I have a partial lid on the tank, but still I have noticed some huge evap. I will have to devise an ATO, probably one of those gravity fed types. Probably a 1 liter but I don't think that will last long enough. Probably only use it when I am away, which is not very often. Will have to run some major tests while I am here. to make sure.

I am planning on the AC70 hopefully with an InTank media basket. However, I have heard rumblings about the "infamous siphon problem" it gets when the AC70 is Modded? Not sure about this? Does anyone know and can they 'splain it to me so I know what to look for?

Thanks

the syphon problem might refer to the JBJ fuge light? the way the clamp is designed, water from the filter gets capillary actioned (not a phrase) out of the filter and appears as a leak down the side of your AC70.

I bet you could do fine with just the powerhead like Jamie is doing. Or are you wanting the fuge capability?

Really want the fuge, I would like to try natural, but, I seemed to have success with the Chemi-Pure (Purely Anecdotal evidence mind you), that I would like to do that with some chaeto as well. The InTank media basket would also allow me to get the heater out of the display. The only thing is, I don't want the extra light on the Chaeto on a reverse photoperiod. I was thinking about just letting the main tank light spill over into the fuge

Oh well. i still have time. I have seen people just stick a ball of chaeto in their tank, and many out there with macros in the display. I do not know that PH swings would be an issue in my case if I did not use a reverse photoperiod. Comments are VERY welcome on this issue. Perhaps i can be persuaded. lol

Really want the fuge, I would like to try natural, but, I seemed to have success with the Chemi-Pure (Purely Anecdotal evidence mind you), that I would like to do that with some chaeto as well. The InTank media basket would also allow me to get the heater out of the display. The only thing is, I don't want the extra light on the Chaeto on a reverse photoperiod. I was thinking about just letting the main tank light spill over into the fuge

Oh well. i still have time. I have seen people just stick a ball of chaeto in their tank, and many out there with macros in the display. I do not know that PH swings would be an issue in my case if I did not use a reverse photoperiod. Comments are VERY welcome on this issue. Perhaps i can be persuaded. lol

If you want to try a light I've heard the "Submersible 5 Watt Halogen Tube Fountain Light" works pretty well. It's kind of pricey at $25, though. I'll be interested to hear how the refugium goes! :happy: I have the AC50 shipped and I was going to leave it plain but I would be interested to hear how a refugium works for you! :happy: Good luck! B)

:eek: Not more Money! No, really, that is an idea I have been playing with, but more money? Oh man, it is Just like R/C, oh I need this, then I find out next week, oh I need this and so on and so on.... :D
brandon429

I firmly believe if you want to stick some chaeto up front it will not hurt your pH, tank volume is helping a little now. its funny we say that at 4 gallons lol

You right Newman, I have considered that. How good is decorative Macro at nutrient binding though? Also, I do not particularly care for the macro look, except maybe in Yoshi's tank, that looks pretty cool. I don't know though :ponder:

if its growing very fast and you can see it taking over, then its very good at nutrient uptake and params in your tank should be perfect. Just make sure w/e macro you get actually grows.

I firmly believe if you want to stick some chaeto up front it will not hurt your pH, tank volume is helping a little now. its funny we say that at 4 gallons lol

Yeah, I do not really think I want to keep Chaeto in display, but I just don't want the hassle of reverse photoperiod if I keep it in an AC70 fuge, which is what I am leaning toward.

However...Now that Newman brought it up, I am curious as to how competitive the more decroative macros are when it comes to nutrients. The only thing that bothers me about the AC70 is that it is sooo big. Oh wait, that is the reason I want to get it, to get the heater out of the Display area!

So let's see here. The main reasons I wanted to go with the AC70:

• Heater out of sight
  • place for Chemipure ( absolutely LOVE the water polishing I get with Chemi-Pure)
  • place for chaeto
  • gas exchange
  • more water volume (by the way, anyone know how much water volume would be in an ac70 with filter media in it?)
  • fuge for pods (I think my corals and/or brittle star decimated the population a while back)

So still leaning toward the AC70 with fuge, but leery of trying it without a reverse photoperiod on the fuge, and not liking idea of the extra set up a reverse photoperiod would entail. Plus the extra equipment that would be needed. I know i know, it's just a light, but it's just one more cord I don't want.

Soooo,

Advantages of no Fuge/Flter:

• Less equipment
  • Less to go wrong
  • less power cords
  • more natural (maybe more stable in the long run?)

:weighsinbalance:

I still don't know, but leaning toward AC70

if its growing very fast and you can see it taking over, then its very good at nutrient uptake and params in your tank should be perfect. Just make sure w/e macro you get actually grows.

Ok,

Display Macro Recommendations anyone?

Or other comments please? Am I just really overthinking this? :o

Archived