Innovative Marine Aquariums

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

Just found a new baby on one of my Acans, yippeeee! I thought they would split like candy canes do, but they are more like the duncan.

Cool

Been waiting to see some new growth!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has anyone else seen this phenomena?

One of my rics is taking on the color of the ric next to it. So it is orange, but near the other ric, it has the color of the other one.

Weird.

So has anyone else seen this phenomena?

One of my rics is taking on the color of the ric next to it. So it is orange, but near the other ric, it has the color of the other one.

Weird.

:o

pics?

No sorry, no pics. The ric will take on the color of the one next to it only in a part that is near the other one. When it contracts, the color returns to normal. It kind of freaked me out at first, because its the ric with the bright orange color, and I did not want it to change. It is almost as if it took on a part of the other ric color like a camouflage and then when it contracted at night and wasn't so close by the other ric, the color reutrned to normal.

I love corals!

HI Kat,

sorry I wasn't clear before. Yes i am running the canister filter again. It was off for a month or so, but after it was running for a couple of weeks after that, the GHA disappeared, good riddance.

I still think I could run this tank with just water changes and no canister filter, if I took the damsel out and was very anal about the WC's. I could probably even do it without taking out the Damsel if I did WC's twice a week. But I am probably too lazy to keep up with that many WC's :D

Thanks for asking.

by the way, the maze brain is still making a nice recovery.

B

Sorry brandon this took so long. I don't have a good cell phone camera

Here are updates. Included is the Tank Stand I just finished building. It is for a 15 gallon tank (Which I don't have yet) :)

pico1.jpg

pico2.jpg

pico3.jpg

pico4.jpg

New Tank Stand

pico5.jpg

Thank you brandon.

I am very happy with this tank. It is time though to age it. I probably will not be adding any more animals for a while. Let it grow out.

B

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I don't know how many are following this, but for those who are, you might remember me telling Kat that I was quite sure i could go without a filter and just do water changes if I did not have my Damsel in there. Well, I still think that, and with my filter going I could get away with water changes on a longer schedule, say every two weeks. But as I was experiencing some good growth for a while, in the last few weeks I have seen little growth, and I was wondering why, then it occurred to me I had not been doing weekly WCs for about the last month because of a crazy schedule. I figure (although this is just a guess at this point) that going longer on water changes has reduced the amount of elements available for Coral Growth, thereby inhibiting that growth.

I have three buds on one of my Acans, but they seem to be staying the same size for a while now. I will be stepping up my WC's possibly to a couple times a week to see if there is an impact. With the low volume of water in this system, I imagine the elements needed for coral growth, especially for the stony corals, could get depleted rather quickly without Water Changes.

So I will increase my WC frequency to see what happens

Just my 2 cents

• 2 months later...

Hi Markalot,

Yes, sad to report, My damsel died, not sure why (probably because tank too small for this fish.) However, I think it was killed by the brittle star although I can't be sure. No remains or anything. Also My favorite Astrea snail died. I have had this snail since the Tetra tank

Acans are growing nicely, I also have an outbreak of macro and other algae. I will post pics later today.

I was watching the tank the other night and noticed a swimmer from a bristle worm, watched it get eaten by my green trumpet coral. Life and death on the reef

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

No updates for a while.

I took my Canister filter off because it was giving me problems. After that I began to have deaths in the tank, Fish died, snails died. Began to have algae blooms. Wasn't taking as much care of my tank as I should have, missed some water changes and such.

Finally got a Aquaclear AC30, and ordered some more snails and got some hermit crabs. I don't expect much from hermits, but Oh, they went to town taking names and eating algae! Them I got an emerald crab, thinking he might get some of the bubble algae I have, he didn't but his grazing has been really wonderful, and the algae is going away. So the tank is back on track, here are some shots, but with a low end camera, excuse the quality please!

blupico3.jpg

blupico2.jpg

blupico1.jpg

Ok, so better pics now,

The Superman mushroom in the third picture attacked the red Acan in front of it. Then the Acan got removed by unknown assailent during the night and floated to the sand, leaving me an oportunity to re-gule a little farther from the mushroom. By the way, That mushroom was began at the back of the tank under a rock over-hang. in the last 6 months, it has moved to the spot it occupies now.

FTSgallery_52093_8_674337.jpg

Trumpet

gallery_52093_8_49997.jpg

Ric

gallery_52093_8_534147.jpg

Superman

gallery_52093_8_284580.jpg

Yep, Probably not really attacked, as much as just because it was inflating so much as to touch the acan, I think the mucus from the mushroom caused the acan distress and tissue on the acan receded quite a bit. it has not fully recovered yet.

I am also surprised, although I have little experience with hermits and emerald crabs, that the ones I have now in this tank, a small hermit, a large hermit (from reef cleaners) and an emerald crab, are doing such a great job with my algae! I have what looks like bryopsis, GHA, and Some red, thready macro algae, and buble algae. The bryopsis is almost gone, the red threadlike macro is going down, and the GHA is almost gone. Bubble algae is losing out due to better filtration and flow. It's just that the last hermit I had was not a great algae cleaner, and the last Mithrax I had only attacked my corals.

By the way brandon, that Green Trumpet in the front of the tank took a big hit when I dosed with Peroxide. lots of receding tissue. It did however recover. And quite nicely too. Not that I have anything against Peroxide, just that one should be careful using it. The peroxide did not seem to affect the other candy cane corals in the tank either which I found to be strange. Just thought you would like to know.

Brian

I just was thinking, I should post pictures of when I am having problems huh? Just to show they can be overcome haha

Archived