Top Shelf Aquatics

Friar's 4 gallon Finnex - R.I.P.

friar1

interesting, I have wanted to make something similar for controlling my lighting, but i do not have the funds for making and buying such a controller. hopefully in the future I'll be able to though :D

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then as a documentation, I have occasionally used peroxide in the tank for algae control. I was going to purchase a bigger canister filter, but I have nowhere to place it. Which means the damsel is placing the tank in a polluted state. Yes I admit to the impulse buy of the fish, tank is not able to handle the extra bioload of the fish as well as i would like, and a consequence of this is some GHA growth. I have not been able to move the damsel to another tank or the LFS that is about an hour away, though that is in my plans for both the sake of the fish and the sake of the tank.

In the meantime, the snails were not keeping up with the GHA and there was a big clump on the powerhead. I decided to spot treat the powerhead, since it is exposed when I do a water change anyway. So I put a few drops on the GHA a few weeks ago. Pretty much got rid of it, but of course it began to grow back.

Then last week, I went at it again. This time I used about 5mls on the clump on the powerhead and let it soak in and also underwater aimed a few more mls at another place on my live rock. All in all about 8mls went into the tank of the 3% peroxide kind that you buy in the store.

Another place on my live rock that had a huge clump of GHA is now completely clear, even though I did not target that area. I do not have anything like leathers or Xenia, so all the corals are good, not even the zoas were affected for more than a couple of hours. I do have that canister filter (Turtle Type) running so that may have contributed to the low amount of coral affects, but I was surprised. The GHA that was probably looking the worst is now all the way gone.

Again, all these comments are anecdotal and viewers should beware that this may not be typical in any other tank. It is what it is :)

interesting, I have wanted to make something similar for controlling my lighting, but i do not have the funds for making and buying such a controller. hopefully in the future I'll be able to though :D

Yeah, it probably would have been better, if I had purchased the RKL, but I really like wiring projects like this soo.. it worked out ok. Would have cost me less if I had paid attention to what I was seeing on the web. It was a bummer when I ordered something from X10 and they waited a week until they told me it was backordered, and I found I needed deep raceway outlet boxes instead of standard size to hold the X10 outlets. I had purchased the outlet boxes before receiving the X10 outlets, duh!

Still really like how it turned out and I am looking forward to remote control for when friends and family come over, I'll be able to turn on/off the whites or blues or both from my couch! hehehehe

Its great I didn't know you still had it man!! The coloration and cleanliness of the tank is amazing

Of course I do! thanks man, haha your avatar is funny!

And I like this coral, already growing well, should split into three in about a month.

pico0304.jpg

Oh,

And a couple other things. First, I found this Astrena Star in the tank.. Don't konow where it came from and don't know where it went, I only saw it for a couple of days :0)

pico0308.jpg

Also, the superman mushroom fragment is still hanging in there. I had to move the piece of rock it is on, because the snails kept turning it over. Hopefully it will grow and color up, it had lost most of its color after a while. I actually though found another one in the back among some rocks, it must have landed there after the main one disintegrated. It is not very colorful though. We will see what happens. I keep wanting to get more coral, some LPS frags some more green in the tank, but finances prevent me from doing that at this time. I really had to get the lighting worked out first. Maybe next month!

:D

I got new babies!

An Acan and a Maze favia

No pics yet, they had a rough trip.

Pics when they are colored up, maybe a week for the maze. The maze took the trip hard, but the acan is already doing nicely.

Mr Mic,

You just wanna see pics hehe

Ok here is the Acan, the green thing at the bottom

PicoAcan.jpg

And here is the Maze, excuse the excess glue please

PicoMaze.jpg

I just read the whole thread :) Nice little tank.

I love your starfish! I have a red brittle star as well and she's one of my favorite residents. So much fun to hand feed.

• 2 weeks later...

So,

I did not make it to the MAX show in Santa Ana, CA, even though I was down there. I figured, why should I spend 20 dollars to look at coral when I could do that for free. So I nosed around the LFS's down there and found one I did not know about before. Seaside Tropical Fish in Huntington Beach. They have a large selection of coral, and their prices were reasonable. I did however spy some aptasia in their frag tanks. They did have a nice selection of SPS and LPS and Zoas and rics, the most I have seen in one place. Except, there is a place nearby called the Coral Collection in Westminster. They have really nice tanks and very clean nice selection of coral. However this trip, I had little money to spend. So I went to the Strictly Fish in Lakewood, picked up a nice pink frag of chalice for only 15 dollars, less than what I would have spent to look at coral at MAX. So all in all a good trip. My other new arrivals were from Salt Critters, great people to work with and I also highly recommend doing business with Boston Aqua Farms. Really great people there.

Pics soon.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I know I said pics soon. But I have been too busy.

Anyway, as an update, the Mini- Mini had another split and now there are three! The rduced lighting is helping with color on all the corals.

And...... 1 Year Old! Yippeee!

:happydance:

Brian

Than you very much! Nice to hit this milestone Was thinking about moving to a bigger tank, but I think I will test this to see how long I can keep it going. So far, so good!

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well,

I did some re-arranging of things in the tank. I really dislike the look of the candy cane corals except for the neon green trumpet in the front, so I moved them to the back out of the way to open up some space in the front of the rock. Got two more acans, moved some zoas down. In the following pics you can see the pink chalice and the maze brain I got a while back. The Acans are from Salt Critters. Excellent service great shipping, frags look like the site has them pictured. I recommend these guys a lot.

Anywho, here are some pics

First, the new Acans:

pico05_1.jpg

Zoas:

pico05_2.jpg

Maze Brain and Chalice:

pico05_3.jpg

Brian

Yes, I admit getting that Damsel last year was an idiot thing to do, but I haven't found another home for it yet, I don't want to kill it. No one around here does saltwater. So I have to wait for an opportunity to give it another home.

Brian

And....

Although it is too small to get a good picture, the Superman Mushroom I got back a year ago, is finally in a good spot for it to inflate. And tonight, I found a baby right next to it.

:D

So, my last tank was a year old when I took it down and moved it to this one. This one is going on 13 months now.

I might be able to squeeze in more coral, but I think I will wait and see how it grows out. All three Acans are just one polyp frags. The Mini Mini went from one to three in less than a year. I want to see what one of my Zoa colonies will do now that it gets some shade. The light change I made a couple months ago has made a big difference, so I will stay here for now and see what happens. Still need to find a new home for the Damsel though.

YEah Kat, maybe, But I have slowly become Not a fan of candycane/trumpets. Don't know why, they just do not appeal to me. I DO like their growth rate though. I want to see what happens after the moves I made with them. I think I would like a war coral, but I want to see if I can sit on my hands and not buy anything for a while.

Your MAX rocks!

Brian

The candycanes seem to like the upper reaches of the tank now that I moved them

Archived