Coral Vue Hydros

75g FOWLR - Orange spot filefish castle

d9hp

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool, I might have to stop by at some point this summer. I live right near crossroads, What highway are you off of?

Love the filefish d9!

Thanks for stopping by animal! I need a goby in here that won't have any issues with a starry blenny. I wanted a BSJ but my temp won't get below 78...stays below 79.

What do you think goby man?

so is this going to be some sort a reef? someone wouldn't just buy a vortech for a fowlr, right?

....I would!

The MP40 has the smallest in tank footprint for the amount of flow it produces. I don't think I'll need another pump in the tank now since my return is split and provides plenty of flow on its own.

Keeping algae down and fish happy relies on extremely high flow as well...not just SPS corals. If I didn't hate the look of BB I'd have six powerheads all blowing right at each other for turbulence.

There is GSP in there now but I don't think very much would thrive under old 50/50 PC bulbs.

Cool, I might have to stop by at some point this summer. I live right near crossroads, What highway are you off of?

I-40. Just off Tryon Rd. I'm minutes from crossroads.

Wow D, cool fish!! I havent been by in a while. Looks great.

Thanks for swinging through. Things are going well but the nitrates are climbing even with these water changes. That happens when you feed a tank two cubes of food a day.

I swear I like having the chromis in the tank because I think it helps the filefish compete for their food a bit more but I am definitely having to feed way more because of them. I may end up catching them and removing them, though I'd rather not.

Future stocking plans for this tank are changing almost daily so I've given up trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm picking up a 40B for the QT this weekend and I'll hopefully have that setup in a spare closet by the end of the month so I can QT new additions. I had wanted a small tang in here but I'm afraid he'll be too fiesty with the filefish. The flame hawk and either a small dwarf lion or a waspfish will go in here.

If I don't go with the small tang I may just get a baby pair of pink skunk clownfish. I think that will really top off the stock for this tank.

Have you guys ever read about plywood tanks? They look like a lot of work but are way way cheaper than having a custom tank built. If I stay in NC and buy a house next year I'm going to try and starting planning a 12' instead of the 8' rimless I had been working on.

I can get 10' glass panes from glasscages and can join 8' plywood sheets with biscuits. A little fiberglass and epoxy and I imagine I could build a 700-800g tank for less than $1500. I am sure it would be tough but I think I could swing it on a $5k budget. It won't be a reef so I won't incur most of those crazy costs. Ventilation would be a $500-600 expense though. I have a lot of good friends in construction that would probably help me get good deals on the hardware for it all. We'll see though...that's a long ways off I just got the idea in my head today and I'm sure you all know how that goes.

Can you imagine a school of tangs in your living room though? Badass.

Hmm.

How about some Neon Gobies? Maybe a trio or a larger group.

Eventual risk for a small lion though?

Anything a little larger?

animalmaster6

Most small gobies would be a risk for dwarf lions.

Maybe some sort of larger shrimp goby? I also don''t think a goby that is an active swimmer that is large would do well with the Starry.

Yeah I might be out of luck with a goby due to the blenny and small lion.

If you think of something let me know! The starry is hilarious though...eats more than any fish I've ever seen.

how's about you get yourself a pair of engineer gobies?

They get a little big for this tank I want the OSFFs to be the largest fish in the tank.

They are really great fish i had one for a few years.

That's awesome how big did it get?

yea, we live really close. Ill definitely try to stop by at some point this summer.

Awesome always welcome and if you want we could swap some frags. I really only want softies or LPS or zoanthids though....

I have some LPS and Softies, but I mostly have sps. just look at my thread and let me know if there is anything your interested in.

Yeah I might be out of luck with a goby due to the blenny and small lion.

If you think of something let me know! The starry is hilarious though...eats more than any fish I've ever seen.

My starry blenny is a bastard. He bites me every time I have my hand in the tank. He blends in so well that I never see it coming.

Like the new filefish.

I have some LPS and Softies, but I mostly have sps. just look at my thread and let me know if there is anything your interested in.

Will do! I don't have any purple montipora digitata, do you have that? Or green monti cap?

I haven't added anything new in a long time so look at my youtube videos (d9hp) and tell me if there is something that catches your eye (other than my monti caps because they took 8 months to get where they are haha)

My starry blenny is a bastard. He bites me every time I have my hand in the tank. He blends in so well that I never see it coming.

Like the new filefish.

Haha the color changing is incredible. Sounds like a fat bastard mine is still terrified of me.

Thanks....the male is finally eating really well and he is being a real dick to his woman:

There's some others in there too. Enjoy!

tundrashaul

The wife and were thinking of a Dwarf Lion for our 75 as well, I just need to learn more about them.

I'm glad the fish are eating well, when I first introduced my hippo he seemed to adjust his feeding to my techniques by watching and learning from the clowns. Maybe there is a similar effect from the chromis. I was looking into 3-4 chromis in my upgrade for their schooling ability, would you advise against this from what you've learned. I also love the look of a school of Bangaii's suspended in the water column like their frozen!!

I have seen those plywood tanks before and the setups I've seen were HUGE. I think the most impressive one was all wood sitting in the center of a warehouse looking garage with 8'x5' viewing panels every so many feet. Wth the dimensions your dreamin up you could be part of a school of tangs in your living room! :lol:

MP-40 on a FOWLR, why the hell not!!! Did you get the wireless for and controller upgrades in the future?

The wife and were thinking of a Dwarf Lion for our 75 as well, I just need to learn more about them.

The fuzzy dwarfs are actually pretty hardy fish...just might want to QT him to get him eating on a stick first so he doesn't go bat#### around your other fish. I wanted a zebra but apparently they are much harder to keep

I'm glad the fish are eating well, when I first introduced my hippo he seemed to adjust his feeding to my techniques by watching and learning from the clowns. Maybe there is a similar effect from the chromis. I was looking into 3-4 chromis in my upgrade for their schooling ability, would you advise against this from what you've learned. I also love the look of a school of Bangaii's suspended in the water column like their frozen!!

Well actually the female seemed to learn from the chromis (she's younger and smaller) but the male has had trouble eating from the water column. Fortunately he ate from the clip for almost three hours so I think he's going to be fine...and none of the other fish are allowed over there so I'm not having to overfeed the tank...which will HOPEFULLY reduce the amount of water changes I'm having to do. I'm having a serious breakout of diatoms today and I imagine that tomorrow will bring the same. I am only going to feed the roggers in a clip tomorrow though and see how that goes.

I love having the chromis and never had problems between two in the smaller tank but now that there are five they are always bickering. Constantly locking their jaws with each other and darting around. I honestly think they dwindle down to just one in time but they do help clean up leftover food.

Bangaii's are actually some of my all time favorite fish...my male in the reef is unreal...he finally started eating pellets this week! It blew me away.

I have seen those plywood tanks before and the setups I've seen were HUGE. I think the most impressive one was all wood sitting in the center of a warehouse looking garage with 8'x5' viewing panels every so many feet. Wth the dimensions your dreamin up you could be part of a school of tangs in your living room! :lol:

MP-40 on a FOWLR, why the hell not!!! Did you get the wireless for and controller upgrades in the future?

Yeah it totally depends on where Lauren and I go in December/January. I'd like to stay with my current company and move into a starter home for 4-5 years, which would give me a year to build and get the tank running and then a few years of enjoyment before tearing it all down. to move to the new house. I'd build it so it was at least moderately modular in case I had to cut it in half to move or anything.

I would love to make a tank that wrapped around three sides of a room like that but I really want to have a 12' tank with a 10'x26" viewing panel. That would keep the tank reasonably sized and still make it seem massive. I think I could make it about 30-36" deep and it would absolutely be awesome. I mean...I'm talking about having like 10-15 small yellow tangs, 10-15 baby hippo tangs, 20 cleaner shrimp, 20 fire shrimp...

Obviously this is getting out of hand but it wouldn't be a reef and thus I wouldn't incur most of the associated costs.

That's a dream tank though...and honestly I'm really really enjoying my 75g!

The MP40 is wireless...I had bought it so when I went to the big rimless tank I could use it there but if I go plywood I'll just cheap powerheads on the sides and a single closed loop for the back wall. If the tank is wider than the viewing panel you wouldn't really even be able to see like 4-6 of those magnum pumps on each wall and I bet they would keep the movement just a rockin'

This hobby getting out of hand.......come on now :)

Haha no such thing in this hobby.

I honestly just want to plan something out for a year and keep to a budget. I feel like I built the 20g reef without a budget and spent a lot of money on things I didn't need to. I did a much better job with the 75 (heck most of it was free after selling the chiller, skimmer, and UV) but I still broke $1k after I got the MP40 (hard not to).

I am almost positive that I could build AND stock an 800g plywood tank for well under $10k. Monthly upkeep would be between $100-$200 but I would consolidate the systems and probably sell the reef tank. The 75g will be a fuge. I wonder what sort of order you'd have to place with reef cleaners to get a damn CUC for something that size?!

So it boils down to me deciding whether I want that more than this:

140860d1285254116-lets-see-you-48s-harley-davidson-sportster-c.jpg

The harley forty-eight. Tough call.

phi delt reefer

get the bike...

whats the price on that sucker? I've always wanted a Victory bike similar to that. Seen a nice Suzi Boulevard in town that's been murdered out like the harley you have shown above.

iron 883 looks to be about $2,000 cheaper and comes factory murdered vs. paying to have the 4-8 done aftermarket.

get the bike...

whats the price on that sucker? I've always wanted a Victory bike similar to that. Seen a nice Suzi Boulevard in town that's been murdered out like the harley you have shown above.

iron 883 looks to be about $2,000 cheaper and comes factory murdered vs. paying to have the 4-8 done aftermarket.

It's a tough call...I definitely want the bike but I'd be working from home so I could have the 800g next to me for like 9-10 hours a day. I can get a bike a little later on.

I could get a 2010 48 like that for about $9k with less than 1k miles on it. The one I showed is bad but it does have a LOT of money in it from what I can tell. I'd be fine with black pipes and a painted gas tank.

I used to love the iron and was dead set on that for a while...until I rode one. It didn't scare the living hell out of me like I think motorcycles should. I know I'd get tired of the little 800 after a few months and want to move up anyways. I'm not sure what I'll do...it's a decision for next summer anyway!

tundrashaul
140860d1285254116-lets-see-you-48s-harley-davidson-sportster-c.jpg

:wub:

Instead of the 75 as a fuge, why not the extra bedroom. ;)

300 gallon display fuge, with sea horses and tons of sea grasses and herbivores!!

Archived