Innovative Marine Aquariums

Water Current too strong for fish?

Phil K

Hello

I have a 28g JBJ Nano and just added a clown fish and a cardinal fish. I am using both of the pumps that came with the tank as well as a small Korilia 425. I am not using the wave maker, just running the pumps simultaneously because noticed thats how a tank at the LFS was running and it looked to be fine.

Though it appears my fish are having a tough time dealing with the current. Now the clown fish is very young and small. So I am thinking maybe has as it gets larger it wont be a issue. The cardinal just hangs out behind my rock so rarely see him.

Is my current too strong? I tried adjusting the direction of the heads but didnt really help. Should I use the wave maker? I was thinking all the on-off action of the wave maker would put a lot of stress on the pumps?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

What are you seeing to indicate the current may be too strong? Also, when did you add these fish?

I got the fish this past Saturday, so only on day two. The clown looks like he is fighting the current and sometimes gets blown around a little. But then again he is a little guy, probably a little under an inch in size. The cardinal looks like he prefers using the rock as a buffer. Maybe it's just an acclimation thing.

paradox_of_reef

Try running less flow and see how they react. What you have sounds like an appropriate amount of flow for a tank that size but nothing is concrete in this hobby (except concrete frag plus LOL) If they still act odd after reducing flow then we can move on to problems with the fish.

Rule of thumb if you have reason to believe you have too much flow then you prolly have too much flow.

lakshwadeep

Clowns are usually misleading indicators of "strong" flow because their normal movements in even low flow tanks can look like they are struggling. What type of cardinal do you have?

You need to have pumps that were made for controllers (there's a separate line for at least Koralias) to avoid burning them out.

Clowns are usually misleading indicators of "strong" flow because their normal movements in even low flow tanks can look like they are struggling. What type of cardinal do you have?

You need to have pumps that were made for controllers (there's a separate line for at least Koralias) to avoid burning them out.

The main pumps are the stock ones that come with the JBJ 28g Nano Cube. They are connected to a wave maker. I was thinking that the constant on and off with the wave maker would put more stress on them compared to running them full-time. I added the small 425 Korallia.

The cardinal is a Banggai.

My clown seems to enjoy playing in the current, and he's fairly large. Will swim right in front of a PH and just stop and get blown around. Seems completely intentional on his part.

As for the hiding, it seems that is most likely just new fish syndrome. Give him a week or two to get his bearings.

doppelganger

my clowns do the same. There's plenty of lower flow area's but they seem to like getting blasted sometimes.

be sure to have some lower flow areas for the bangaii they like a little slower currents. the clowns may just be getting used to it.mine love to swimm right into the vortech on max. then stop so they fly across the tank and right back towards the pump likes its a game or something. the cardinal... not so much it hangs out lower in the tank or around the corners of rock work to buffer the flow a bit.

Clowns and powerheads are like dogs with car windows. They seem to love getting blasted. As long as there is an area of low flow somewhere in the tank. and I suspect there is(just look at the spot where the clown sleeps), they will be fine. Cardinals tend to hide a lot, don' t worry about them. These fish are build to live in the ocean, you would nor be able to replicate the kinds of current that they can deal with.

• 5 years later...

Going thru the same thing I'm worried they'll get stressed. But their staying in the two power heads facing each other. But the front of the tank has low flow they won't go there. I just don't want them getting stressed and sick.

Fish are accustomed to different currents.

Clowns swim differently and look like they are struggling but not.

I had in my 15g a koralia 425, sicce 530, and my filter 100gph - my clowns are fine.

Certain Corals would be more a concern for too much flow as the flesh can be torn on some like blasto's.

Turn off a pump and see what happens. Maybe get rid of the powerhead and use the return pumps with rotators? Or try a ph like the 240 in the dt.

How long has the tank been set up before adding fish?

Never mind- very old thread

Archived