SaltCritters.com

Kazooie's Alaska Photographery

Kazooie

Deleted User 6
You should check what color profile your computer's display adapter uses, as well as the color profile you're exporting your images to be optimized for.

i've never done this. :shrug:

If you have lightroom, that's all you need. increase the exposure/brightness a bit on future photos. also, if your pics are coming out that dark from the camera, play around with the exposure settings on there too.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No lightroom, but I can do both of those. :)

They don't come out that dark, but I liked them a little darker. :)

Because I'm here. :P

Probably because It's been colonized sooner, there are still some of the original barns here. :)

You should check what color profile your computer's display adapter uses, as well as the color profile you're exporting your images to be optimized for.

i've never done this. :shrug:

If you have lightroom, that's all you need. increase the exposure/brightness a bit on future photos. also, if your pics are coming out that dark from the camera, play around with the exposure settings on there too.

halfpint's right. your camera's color profile could be set to adobe RGB so when the images are exported to your machine and you edit them, they are still saved as adobe RGB which is not optimized for web. You want them to be saved with the color profile SRGB. Your most recent images look to be fine, but if you notice your colors looking strange, that could be the reason. :)

Flower shots are great and all, but next time try shooting them from an angle that most people don't see all of the time. Most everyone sees flowers from the top. People look at pictures to get a view of the world they don't see everyday. Take the flowers from the side, or even better, the bottom. You will get a picture with a much more individual personality. Also, on your landscapes, try making sure the landscape itself is level. I see too many of your shots looking like they could have been great, but only giving me a headache because the picture looks lopsided. Even if it comes out off level, post processing can straighten it out easily, even if it will crop out a tiny bit of the frame.

Another huge point many people miss with landscape shots is when they are usually taken. Now that summer is here, you should be out of school and ready to take shots (if photography is something you really want to pursue) when the lighting is right for the landscape. Shooting a landscape at dawn or dusk will give you a shot that you can't match any other time of day. Soft lighting is your friend whenever it comes to shooting landscapes. I've been waking up this summer at 4 in the morning just to get some of the shots I've been trying for. It's tough, but nothing beats the light of the rising sun for landscape shots. Dawn is also the best time to shoot water if you are going to be trying to shoot a reflection off of it. There is noticeably less wind in the morning and even if the lighting is right at dawn, the wind won't ahve died down by then.

The setup shots looked good, but you could try using indirect natural lighting to shoot those with a black background. Find a window that is not facing the sun with some form of translucent blinds and it will give you much softer shadows with the closeups.

Just a few tips from a fellow photographer. Hope it helps a bit. :)

Also, for landscapes, I like using this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4193..._Flash_Hot.html makes it easier to get the shot level if you're using a tripod (which you should). If you have the time, make sure you walk around to find the best shooting angle when you find a photo op. Sometimes the biggest mistake a photographer can make is settling with the first pretty shot they can find.

When are we going to be seeing some wildlife shots???

Also a request, I know you are post processing, but could you post aperture, shutter speeds and ISO? Might help with critique.

Here I have one of your landscapes edited, one with just the landscape orientation correction, and another with quite a bit of curves and crop and magic wand editing.

Compare the orientation correction to the original and you seem to have a completely different picture. Professionals won't have a crooked landscape, and even though you aren't a professional, it's a small detail that can easily be fixed to have a better picture.

uncrooked.jpg

This edit took away what I felt was most distracting to the picture, the buildings and other human creations. These are all simple fixes with most photo editing software now.

andedited.jpg

And as stupid as this sounds to most people, don't center your horizon. The rule of thirds sounds foolish, but great landscape shots almost always follow this rule. If the sky is great for a photo, have the horizon in the bottom third, if it's overcast or the sky just isn't interesting, have the horizon in the upper third. With water shots, its also nice to have a beach or rocks lead into the water and finally the horizon. I like to think of landscapes as three-part pictures. There is a foreground, the water or your subject, and finally the sky. This picture kind of explains what I mean. The rocks give the picture more character than just a still surface and a sky.

rocksLakeSide.jpg

I know I'm dragging on, but you can also make the pictures look even better by just using layers in Photoshop. I put a watermark (just a date, not claiming the work as mine) in the corner just for a little touch.

pshplyrs.jpg

Really? That's really neat! I don't think I've ever seen a flower shout from the bottom, but it sounds really nice, so I'll try that next time. :) Ouch, your right. Most of my shots are crooked. :wacko:

I'd love to take more shots at dawn/dusk but there aren't really sunrises or sunsets. The moon and sun overlap during parts of the days so light doesn't really change in between night and day. :(

Thanks! I'll try that! :)

Again thanks! I really enjoy getting tips to improve. :)

That looks really neat! No promises on getting it, as my dad supplies most of my supplies, but I'll probably be able to get that. :) I do use a tripod occasionally, but normally not as it's a little large and awkward to carry around.

Umm, as soon as I see more wildlife :P

I have some more picture to edit and upload. I hate editing :angry:

Really? That's really neat! I don't think I've ever seen a flower shout from the bottom, but it sounds really nice, so I'll try that next time. :) Ouch, your right. Most of my shots are crooked. :wacko:

I'd love to take more shots at dawn/dusk but there aren't really sunrises or sunsets. The moon and sun overlap during parts of the days so light doesn't really change in between night and day. :(

Thanks! I'll try that! :)

Again thanks! I really enjoy getting tips to improve. :)

That looks really neat! No promises on getting it, as my dad supplies most of my supplies, but I'll probably be able to get that. :) I do use a tripod occasionally, but normally not as it's a little large and awkward to carry around.

Umm, as soon as I see more wildlife :P

I have some more picture to edit and upload. I hate editing :angry:

Looking forward to it. Alaska is such a beautiful place.

pshplyrs.jpg

Yea this is a good way to make a picture look tacky as #### imo. Good crop but the rest just adds loads unnecessary tackiness. Also on an other note the levels are little too obviously adjusted for my tastes

IMG_1795.jpg

Also, even though this picture is 'just a flower' it is still great. Look at the pop of the colors and the composition is great how circular the whole thing is. If you would have shot it a 'creative' angle from underneath the flower--well, I certainly dont think it would have looked better.

And youve totally found a style in some of your work though Kazooie! Here's some of my favorites and some of the ones with the most consistent atmosphere/aesthetics

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

great job! the last one would be a little boring by itself imo, but fits in nicely when included in the series

IMG_1787.jpg

This picture is just boring. There's nothing interesting to look at, the lighting is awkward, the pallet is monotonous and drab. It does have decent composition though, it seems to follow the 'rule of thirds'. Which btw--this may be obvious--but dont always shoot by this rule, following any rule too strictly can be creatively hindering

IMG_1789.jpg

Also boring. Might have been better if you were able to fill the frame with the flower and get all the tiny details of parts we dont really see that often ...or shoot at a creative angle from the backside of the flower. There's no limits, just experiment with as much crazy #### as you can think of and take the best :)

Looking great keep em coming!!

Thanks! I wasn't aware I had a style? :huh:

A couple of those I wasn't very happy with either, but used them as filler so as to not jsut upload liek 3 pictures. :rolleyes:

Yea this is a good way to make a picture look tacky as #### imo. Good crop but the rest just adds loads unnecessary tackiness. Also on an other note the levels are little too obviously adjusted for my tastes

Looking great keep em coming!!

The levels were already adjusted like that. I did the green curve to give the picture a more natural color temperature, but that's about it.

I went back to Wasilla Lake today. :)

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

I tried taking pictures in black-and-white... I kind of like them. :)

Also going to Hatchers Pass tomorrow, some more pictures then, and down to Seward, Homer.

We all have to start some where. I am in the process of relearning how to take nature and sports photographs. They are in my photography thread. I can't believe how much I had forgotten that I was taught in College, but getting off the bottom and going out taking pics has been helping a fair bit.

Archived