Cultivated Reef

Skittles and Stix

swayd

So I turned on my lights and this is what I see. My favia is half skeleton now and my acan seems to be as happy as ever -_- ....

Tank is doing well I will do a WC tonight and clean off the glass but all in all I am happy with its progress.

post-50898-1318009152_thumb.jpg

fail

I have to remember not to place my acan and blasto close together, thank you for reminding me...

Sorry that this happened :( I guess its experience gained so that it wont happen to your corals in the future.

Yeah it totally sucks and that favia had just recovered and was loooking as good as ever, now the poor thing has to start all over.

Im thinking of just getting rid of the acan, its nice and all but If its going to keep stinging like that in my pico it must go as I have plans for this pico haha.

Just keep an eye on those acans!

Tank is looking really good man. Sorry to see that your favia got tore up, bummer. Hopefully it recovers quickly! I like your tank its gonna be cool to watch grow out with your sps plans. Good luck with it, ill be following your thread.

CRAP! I have two acans next to my favia in my nanocube. They are not big enough to touch yet but I anticipate issues after seeing this.

So as I move on to my 20H, Im going to have to take this little guy apart or get a new light for it. I have now encountered what seems like a bajillion flatworms :tears:! In such a small tank Im hesitant to use flatworm exit on it because of the die off. But I think its either that or start the tank all over again!

Any suggestions?

Suck them out one by one with a small diameter hose.

I had a huge flat worm issue for a little while. When doing water changes I just went around and sucked them up. I used the small hose so I could get more all in one water change.

After a while they all are gone.

Additionally, it is totally fun to suck them up.

I tried doing that but they are everywhere. At one point I though they were all gone and I kept an eye out for them, then all of a sudden BAM they are back. They are on the glass, rocks, sand, everything except coral.

From what I have read, the only time they are a threat is when they get overpopulated and "smother" coral because there are so many.

They are the red kind as seen here just not as many, yet!

post-50898-1318535930_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok its official!

I cant take it anymore and im breaking this little guy down!

I will be dipping all coral in coral Rx for 1hour, rinse in SW for 30min and then swish around in coral Rx for 20min more then transfering them to my GFs tank.

Im going to wash the liverock and then dry it(maybe add it to my 20H later), throw out all the sand and dip the macros in FW for a couple hours to add them to my 20H.

Then, I might turn this into a FW guppy tank or just sell it!

Yeah I hate flatworms!

No Im not transfering any coral to my new tank, its still a little early. I did put a small acro frag in there to test it out.

The coral is going in to my GFs tank after we wash off all the flatworms.

Yeah I hate flatworms!

No Im not transfering any coral to my new tank, its still a little early. I did put a small acro frag in there to test it out.

The coral is going in to my GFs tank after we wash off all the flatworms.

I would be careful as the eggs are sometimes left even after multiple treatments of coralrx

Dang seriously!?

How should I go about this?

I would treat them in coralrx, dump out everything in the tank they were in, and put the corals back in with some LR from your GF tank/another tank and wait. If you don't see them after a few weeks, it would be safe to transfer. It seems like a lot of work, but it is the best way to make sure that you don't transfer anything over. Just my .02 and GL!

Emptied out this tank today, dipped all coral in coralRX for 1 hour and then FW dipped everything too. I added 5g of SW and No LS or LR.

As of right now Im barebottom with just coral, chaeto and a powerhead. I hope I killed all of the flatworms for sure, but if I dont see any in a couple of weeks I will add these coral to my 20L and break this tank down. IF I do find flatworms I will flatworm exit the tank and go from there!

Archived