ReefCleaners.org

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

acropora1981

just tried a 3 minute 50/50 dip on some zoa's and an acan colony with gha around the edges...the acan does NOT look happy. wow...fudge..

So can I ask how much you were dosing your tank per/gallon with peroxide? Curious because I can't seem to find very much info on the direct-to-tank method.

Edited by acropora1981
Reef Miser

Give it time to recover. I dipped my acan (not in 50%, more dilute) and it was pissed. I was so nervous I was going to lose the colony. It started looking better after a couple hours and completely normal the next day. Have hope. I think it can pull through.

brandon429

It'll be ok, watch. Ive already got about 5 pms with acan dips and they were both echinatas and lord howe's

1.5% contact I bet will be fine it looks crazy though I know. I would have spot treated the algae and not contacted the flesh with the peroxide...

another reason i like peroxide is because it cleans your aquascape for a total fresh start.

The algae doesn't have to build up that big, with that much biomass, ever again. When tiny thimble sized algae pops up, do your thing. Stick a snail on it and watch it crawl off but do something~

I will burn the patches with a drop and a one min wait.

Edited by brandon429
Reef Miser

How does the acan look today? Did it pull through?

I don't know if I missed it in your original post or if it was added as an edit, but I wouldn't recommend whole tank dosing. I think there is too much risk involved. I did as little as 10-15mL of 3%H2O2 in ~25gallons of water over a couple days and lost xenia and who knows what else on a microscopic level. I think dilute dipping and direct targeting out of the tank are much safer.

acropora1981
How does the acan look today? Did it pull through?

I don't know if I missed it in your original post or if it was added as an edit, but I wouldn't recommend whole tank dosing. I think there is too much risk involved. I did as little as 10-15mL of 3%H2O2 in ~25gallons of water over a couple days and lost xenia and who knows what else on a microscopic level. I think dilute dipping and direct targeting out of the tank are much safer.

Acan is about 80% recovered; I was worried because it had bubbles under the flesh. It expelled those bubbles via the pharynx within about 18 hrs, and looks much better now.

Zoa's and paly's are still a bit rough, but they are opening. I spot treated a branching hammer that had a lot of algae in between the heads by squirting peroxide on just the algae using a syringe. That algae is turning white and bright pink/red. Hammer is relatively unnafected because he didnt get any direct exposure to peroxide.

Not going to try the full tank exposure :)

I tried a ~3lb peice of LR with valonia and feather caulerpa as well. I did a direct peroxide treatment first (squirted on the rock), and then a dip. I hope it dies... I'm so sick of feather caulerpa.

My other (nicer) acan also has some algae around the base which bothers the polyps. I may try a partial dip where the coral is only submerged about 1/2 way leaving the actual flesh out of the dip water. That should work with less stress i think.

Edited by acropora1981
brandon429

This sounds ideal, its exactly how Ive seen it work in my tiny tank, the methods you are using preserve corals because the fluid doesnt contact the flesh, its rock n roll huh

that dipped algae w be dead by Sunday! pics man hurry catch em before and after

Reef Miser

Good to hear that everything is pulling through. I definitely am interested in the caulerpa. Let us know how it turns out.

brandon429

happened across an old thread of my freshwater globe, how funny RMiser I couldn't even remember trying peroxide on it already, lol

when you posted it I knew about previous use, just not by me thats funny. I was getting the white blanket fruiting bodies of X genera fungus, a common alternation of generations for the wood substrate in a bog terrarium. it takes years sometimes for them to balance, I remember now after reading I had sprayed peroxide on it as a guess if it would work, and it did. Never thought to try it on a reef once lol

the bowl had already been setup before the thread was made

http://www.reefs.org/forums/topic66484.html?hilit=terrarium bowl

Acan is about 80% recovered; I was worried because it had bubbles under the flesh. It expelled those bubbles via the pharynx within about 18 hrs, and looks much better now.

Excellent. I thought it would come through - mine definitely did, after a 1 minute dip in 50% solution. It looked REALLY bad at first. Cyano on the plug was gone the next day though!

Prior to that, I treated the whole frag tank with the standard 1ml/gallon dose for about four days, til I got bored. Nothing happened to any of the frags, including the acans.

brandon429

I see this venture as the exact same as the vodka fad. fad acceptability is determined by the number of people endorsing it. there are early vodka threads where people were called crazy for putting booze into the tank lol, now Randy Holmes Farley has written about it and endorsed it in a few internet writeups. IMO its not about what you add to a tank, its whether it gives one a means to an end. in this case both do, glad to see all the positive results Im sure not going back.

Edited by brandon429
acropora1981

Fantastic News: Peroxide KILLS feather caulerpa!!! die bastard!!! DIE!!

I didnt take before and after pics, sorry :( Caulerpa turned white within 48 hrs

Purple Death Paly's are more open than they have been in 4-5 months :D

Edited by acropora1981
acropora1981

The rock I dipped does have some bubble algae on it, but many of them where white and popped already, so its really hard to tell if they were affected quite as much. I'll know in a few days if they are all white/dead bags of crud. I really wish I had known this 2-3 months ago when I did a full tank tear down. I scrubbed all the rocks with a hard brush, but I could have very easily dipped them all in peroxide baths at the same time, or at least applied full strength peroxide to the surfaces of the rocks.

JayEeeTeeEss

My original post was at work and I hadn't gotten the chance to read through the whole thing so I was skeptical. You all have convinced me to try the direct application method on my bubble algae during my next water change. I will post my results then!

i havent tried doing this in my fish tank ...but i wouldnt hesitate to use it if i have a need for it ..i use a 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide in my swimming pool ...it is great so far ...i love it ...no itchy burning eyes and a nice clean pool ...very healthy for the invironment ...no dangerous chlorine ...its good for you and our world ...cant beat it ...good stuff !!!!

brandon429

I had to read alot about sterilization for hot tub use and never once saw peroxide as a pool sterilizer

thought it was all bromine and chlorine what a helpful thread. I bet the pool never gets green scum thats for sure.

I would like to know this however, how often do you have to treat the pool? It does not seem like a good long term residual sterilizer like chlorine, maybe it works well for shock treatments? is it the exclusive sterilizer for the system or are there salt exchangers or anything else just curious

northstar1357

i have tried a similar method instead i used tooth past. i applied it to Qtip and smear on all rocks i see. i even smeared some on some of my corals, they closed for a few minutes then reopened without any problem

acropora1981
i have tried a similar method instead i used tooth past. i applied it to Qtip and smear on all rocks i see. i even smeared some on some of my corals, they closed for a few minutes then reopened without any problem

I do NOT recommend using toothpaste on anything for an aquarium considering that they are composed largely of phosphate containing chemicals like calcium hydrogen phosphates and monofluorophosphates, as well as silicates and aluminum which bothers many corals as well.

Edited by acropora1981
alfiefive

tooth paste in a fish tank?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

brandon429

nothing suprises me any longer. after adding vodka which I thought sounded like the most ludicrous thing in the universe shy of adding a chocolate sunday to a reef aquarium I said I wouldn't be shocked any longer.

people are going to experiment and other people are going to try and stop them and others will encourage it, goes on and on lol, why not log it here and see what happens. everyone should do pics though, even if just a cell phone because ReefMiser started it like that and the pics are a bulk of this soon to be 10k thread. wow job people want to read it.

acropora1981

All I'm saying about the toothpaste is that there is no reason to use a phosphate based product to try to eliminate algae lol... Most things we use on or in our reefs are single, simple chemicals, not cocktails of unknowns like toothpastes.

Also, all bubble algae is dead on the dipped rock from a few days ago in 1:1 h202/seawater :) I'll post when I know the status of the corraline algae. It seems to be ok, but it can take longer to die/bleach out than other types of algaes.

Has anyone tried a 1/2 seawater 1/2 H2O2 dip with ricordea? I have a largeish (10+ head) colony of very bright orange rics that I'd love to dip as well, but it terrifies me to even partially risk my precious ricordea!

I will be trying another 1:1 dip on a frag of a palau green nepthea that has valonia, hair and feather caulerpa algae on it, and I will document the changes with my new Rebel XTi SLR ;)

Edited by acropora1981
brandon429

excellent! I forgot to add alveopora to the mix of corals who can take straight 3% splashed right on the skeleton (polyps withdrawn) during a spot treatment and emerge perfectly fine with no polyp damage. also, i won't be adding toothpaste any time soon lol someone would be hard pressed to find something I like more than peroxide lol

Reef Miser

@ Acropora.

I haven't dipped ricordea, but have dipped other mushrooms, both actinodiscus and rhodactis. Both were unaffected by the treatment. I dipped them in 50% for about 3 minutes.