Pod Your Reef

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

I've been systemic dosing 10 to 20 ml for the past 3 days in my 34 gallon. I can definitely tell a difference and I've been taking pictures, which I'll post soon along with my observations. I've got red slime, green, green hair and maybe a little bubble algae.

I have a question though. Did anyone dose Baking Soda to adjust PH/ALK before they had their algae bloom? I know many people have dosed BS and baked BS without algae blooms, but I've found a lot of info that leads me to believe that BS grows algae even if it doesn't have silicates as anti-caking agents.

Here's one link, although I'm curious to know if their source of BS is pure, or contains silicates used to facilitate production/packaging and they don't know it. Small amounts of additives generally regarded as safe (GRS) do not need to be declared in food products per the FDA. It should be declared in lab or pharmaceutical grade, but if you don't know your supplier, you don't know what you're getting anymore.

"Baking soda dramatically boosts oil production in algae"

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-soda-b...tion-algae.html

Their research indicates that BS provides additional CO2 at a specific point in the life cycle of algae, which could explain some people getting lucky and some getting algapocalypse.

I'm just trying to figure out how things went so far wrong so fast.

Thanks,

James

Edited by phineous

Hydrogen Peroxide is saving my tank, Well helping. So here is this before and after pics.

Right side 10 days after the dip.

2012-03-20145401.jpg

Left side before dip.

2012-03-20145354.jpg

Ive dipped about half the rocks in tank. and results are nice. No livestock has any ill effects.

I took half a bottle of Peroxide about quarter gallon of water and lots of reef salt. mixed in a bucket. droped rocks in. waited 5min, rinsed with clean water. back into the tank it all went. With and without corals on the rocks, Zoas and lps. all doing great.

P.S. My coralin did not like this.

Edited by boxboy
Very nice pics and tank thank you! I noticed that bright golden plate coral what kind is that I cant remember

The real name of it also ecaps me lol but I call I orange plate. lol

Has anyone used peroxide on cloves? I have some brown stuff (diatoms?) on the stems of my papaya cloves, but I only have a few polyps that I'm trying to get growing, so I don't want to do anything risky. I've picked some off, but they are delicate.

Edited by PinkDamsel

Well, for the moment I'm being cautious and only used peroxide on an adjacent part of the rock w. algae that had gotten very fuzzy.

. . . Later . . .

Darned if my pom-pom crab wasn't on the spot I treated w. her mouthparts chomping away! This is an exposed ridge at the very top of the rock - she NEVER goes there or anywhere near the top. This is the second time I've found her apparently eating algae marinated in peroxide; it seems she LIKES it, lol!

• 2 weeks later...
IF you have to dose peroxide, you failed. It should be looked down on, imo.

Hectic dialectics and igreen are staunchly against peroxide use, next poster will run their methods in comparison, we are ready!

What we can do is take your before pics, have IG or HD work a comparison method, and if it works better we will change to that method. Hectic thinks any tank with an invader is a failed tank, we must know his secrets, what works better. I've asked them to stop in here for a chat and to post up alternatives, I wonder how long we will have to wait

Has anyone used peroxide on cloves? I have some brown stuff (diatoms?) on the stems of my papaya cloves, but I only have a few polyps that I'm trying to get growing, so I don't want to do anything risky. I've picked some off, but they are delicate.

Follow-up: OK, so I chickened out on putting peroxide directly on the cloves, but I used something else that worked - - [drum roll] - - makeup brushes!

Unused, of course. Got a bunch of different sizes & degrees of softness/stiffness, and gently brushed on and between the polyps. Was able to get the brown stuff off without pinching them as happens w. tweezers. (Had also tried blowing water at them and that hadn't worked, either.)

Sorry, I know this is the peroxide thread, so while I'm tempted to compare the merits of the Lip-Defining vs. the Concealer vs. the Blending Eye brush, I think I'd better hush up or Brandon will be REALLY mad at me lol.

I will ask to borrow some!! Its a perfect idea

You have cleaned your tank stellar the round of pics looked good as new ~

Last nite I did a 5 minute spot treatment of 35% on the same mushroom frag, no effect again! May use your brush idea w battery acid i'm about feed up with red mushrooms

Clarification: I used the brushes to mechanically remove the brown stuff, not to apply peroxide. Did it underwater.

You're welcome to borrow my makeup brushes anytime, Brandon! :lol:

Builder Anthony

cloves sometimes develop a thinck skin to keep off algae and plants.you might need to break this open for the polyp to open up again.im not sure if it forces it to grow down or why they do it.I dont think my cloves really like peroxide they seem sensitive to it but then the algae isnt any better i uasually does into the waqter colum for them very slightly.

cloves sometimes develop a thinck skin to keep off algae and plants.you might need to break this open for the polyp to open up again.im not sure if it forces it to grow down or why they do it.I dont think my cloves really like peroxide they seem sensitive to it but then the algae isnt any better i uasually does into the waqter colum for them very slightly.

Good to know - thanks.

This brown algae wasn't diatoms after all. It's a darker brown, the texture of dryer lint and adheres to the stalks and mat of the cloves, my Tubbs Blue zoas and esp. the mat of the GSP. The Tubbs are on a frag plug that's been bathed in 50/50 water/peroxide and they DON'T like the peroxide; stay closed for a week. I had plucked some of the stuff off them & the cloves w. tweezers but can't avoid pinching the polyps. Blowing water on them didn't remove it. This brushing technique is much gentler and worked for whatever this type of algae is, though obviously it wouldn't for most kinds.

Edit: I'm using $0.99 brushes from a discount shop, not the $10-20 ones from the COsmetics counter (they're the same, just cheaper).

Edited by PinkDamsel
nathanq.inc
. . . Later . . .

Darned if my pom-pom crab wasn't on the spot I treated w. her mouthparts chomping away! This is an exposed ridge at the very top of the rock - she NEVER goes there or anywhere near the top. This is the second time I've found her apparently eating algae marinated in peroxide; it seems she LIKES it, lol!

Funny you should say this!! I spot treated some of my rocks today with 3% hydrogen peroxide and my peppermint shrimp went mental and ate all of the algae within a few minutes! I never ever see him/her but it bolted out of it's cave as soon as the rocks went in and ate all of the algae! lights on and everything.

cleared it up... I now have no visible hair algae on the rocks....

anyone else experienced this? I didn't even know peppermint shrimps ate hair algae...

Edited by nathanq.inc

Not with that species but yes you are reporting rather powerful anecdotal observations I see resounding across multiple peroxide threads

Post treatment, the cuc (whose original intention was to keep algae at bay) actually works to an amazing degree!

we have your report, a few from earlier here, a report of tangs going Munch crazy on the reefcentral thread, and I think the 3 reef thread had similar reports

That is really interesting, I wonder why it happens... maybe the H2O2 makes the stuff easier to digest?

I would think at the very least it must tenderize it, break down some of the material.

shaneandjohn

I have been fighting a Bryopsis outbreak in my 34 gallon Solana. The rock scape can NOT be dismantled. The emerald crabs keep the rocks ans sanded free of Algea. It is contained to the back wall. It seems, the more I would manually remove it during weekly maintenance, the more it would grow.

I have used the elevated magnesium suggestion and it has been about 12 weeks. I still have some Algea but it definatly has helped.

I have thought about dosing about 3 ml of 3% a day to the whole tank and see if this will finish it off.

Any suggestions or opinions on this idea?

I dip every new addition and have for years, but somehow the Bryopsis got past me. Grrrrrr..:)

The best idea is to drain the tank down and wet the algae directly so you can kill it quick with targeted peroxide

Can you post before pics, a top down shot if possible maybe

You can treat the whole tank depending on what's in there, anemones/shrimp etc

The pics will show any other details

Then in three days it will be gone if you spot treat it...after pics will look really nice