Top Shelf Aquatics

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Ten mins wow

I'm very surprised it hasn't bleached yet. If it doesn't go white by tomorrow, with two contact doses, you should mail me a small sample you cut out

I can run a test to see why its resistant, I can culture some easily in another container.

If it doesn't bleach out, i'm more suspect of the peroxide quality you are using not the algae

It doesn't line up that your algae would be resistant out of the hundreds of linked pictures in this thread and the others

Another update:

Fish is doing fine today :) Seems happy.

The algae I dosed yesterday including on the bottom left rock (first application there) is getting white along with the rest of the tank algae.

I wish I could mail you out a sample but I'm based in Poland.

Also I think the H2O2 is fine, as I got a cut and poured some on and it burnt well, so it does work ;)

2012-03-03%2019.43.54.jpg

So this is an update 48hrs after the 2nd application.

Seemed it helped as those algae that wasn't very white before are totally white now. The xenia look a bit weaker, but are still pulsating. Fish is fine and the rest of the corals are doing well.

2012-03-04%2019.44.29.jpg

Thank goodness! Now I think it will progress

You really stayed with it thank you for pics!

Thanks

When I'm done, i'll make a timeline of events of photos.

Next update:

So we are at 72hrs? after the 2nd dose.

Its white - you can see the right lower rock is white algae and the left rock is really getting there. All except the back left rock algae wheres its pale but not as white as everything else.

2012-03-05%2021.15.29.jpg

Whew!

it had me worried man I was about to inquire if I could send ya special homemade brew of 18% but international shipping of strong oxidizer probably not worth the follow up visit from the spooks lol

Looks darn good now.

The holdfasts are set in, but its dead no doubt. You can wait for the plant matrix to degrade or use a knife to start scraping it out

Left in, it could take Weeks to fall off but that bleaching means no more spread.

Hi Guys, brand new to the forum, joined for this post really.

Don't really have nano, I have a 60g, 3x2x1.5. So also not too big.

I have every type of algae. And have just started the dipping method. And guess what, it works. Thankyou for taking the time to start this thread!

Now the big question.

I have quite a large rock with is practically covered in what I think is a type of calurpa, I would like to take it out and give it a good dunking, but it is also where my anemone lives. I have tried to remove it but he aint going nowhere, any suggestions. I really like this guy and SO do the clowns, so would hate to lose him.

hmm I did some water checks yesterday and my pH was down to 7.7 :o

Did a quick water change and today it's up to 8.0 before the lights turn on. Looks like the dipping can cause pH swings

On that rock with the anem you can take it out and spot treat around it, be sure and post us some pictures!

While you are treating you can keep the anem wet using a separate spray bottle. Expect the anem to be stressed for a while after this emersion treatment, but many times its worth the loss of the algae.

We always recommend water changes when doing in tank treatments Jason, the history of the thread shows a lot of work in doing water changes to prevent accumulation. After a significant water change following in tank treatments the peroxide is exported. Ph dropping hasn't been noted in any treatments but its possible if one doses an unusual amount and doesn't follow up. Used as a dip/rinse or spot treatment/rinse there would be no mechanism for it to lower ph. Since Ph flux is common in a nano reef, ie it even fluxes between night and day every 24 hours, there are always other variables to consider. How, what and when do you dose the tank with carbonates?

Edited by brandon429

I did a water change afterwards but maybe not enough of one.

I don't dose the tank with anything really - just a 10-15% weekly water change. It's only a 8gal tank.

I couldn't stand looking at the jungle anymore. So I pulled 90% of my rocks out and sprayed w/ 1/2 solution then rinse. My tank now looks like a wispy white winter postcard scene. Bryopsis and green hair are toast.

Zoas, candy cane, acro, acans and maxi mini show no signs of bother. Unlike the first time I did this at full 3%. The chalices look ok but they've never looked great to begin with.

I know I'm not addressing the water quality issues but it looks great :)

heh yes ma'am thebanker over at reefcentral posted that making fun of our method and I asked permission to use it, its me. Really its perfect lol glad he said yes :)

and the ironic part is heck yes I always treat my algae with h202. stay thirsty my friends.

and when I said its me, Im meaning sans being surrounded by russian models and bowling overhand. purely just the statement is me not any of the coolness.

A video showing the entire treatment process I used in my one gallon sps/lps vase

For this video I decided to step it up-its 35%, not 3% Im using, to show how careful drain and treats can even be ran in the most sensitive of reef aquariums without concern if you use the right technique and timing. I was trying to burn off a red mushroom coral in this vid, it didn't work, he's immune to 35%/3% interestingly. The main point of the video was showing how I use powerful peroxide to wipe off the inside of my vase after its gummed up with green haze from several weeks of neglect.

The peroxide does not froth until it touches a biological inhabitant on the glass, the green haze tends to build up where my two pc lights shine a few inches away from the bowl.

Old scratches from years past are evident on the drained tank/before peroxide all I could do to remove it was scratching with a green scouring pad. But now since we know peroxide works, thats all I need to keep the inside glass very clean, no scrubbing required

also note in the video:

-full water change vs partial. my coral banded shrimp doesnt mind hanging out in the wind during treatment. He's been through over 200 full tank water changes just like this

-even though its only a gallon of water, look how much 35% was input into the tank and ran down the sides right into the standing water below. I demonstrate the partial refill technique, to bring the peroxide back into solution, and then another full drain and refill to finally get most of it back out of the tank ending the session with a tank that's had its algae burned and is now refilled with clean water totally.

Edited by brandon429