Coral Vue Hydros

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

Another update:

24hrs after the peroxide spot treatment.

All the corals are opened up. Shrimp, snails and fish are fine. Xenia is fine.

I think the algae is looking whiter/paler than usual. Comparing it to the last rock that went without treatment, it is a lighter color.

No bubbles, nothing yet.

Photos:

2012-02-27%2020.34.57.jpg

2012-02-27%2020.35.43.jpg

yes! thats the sign, its on its way out. those white tips

if it was red brush algae those tips would be hot pink but that would take 5 days to recede/die

in your case by tomorrow it should be all white and your clean up crew might actually start eating it. it will stop spreading at that point. it can be easily manually removed or just left in the tank. It will not cause more algae if you leave it in the tank. Your algae is dying, its as good as gone.

A minor re treatment might be needed for fringe areas you missed, but whatever touched that peroxide is on its way out

The next touch up and any going forward can be a simple drain and treat with no follow up water change.

You will be down to a tiny area of target, a couple drops h202 left in solution wont hurt at all

and those two drops, applied as a drain and treat, will absolutely zap whatever target you apply it to when the tank is drained. two drops can wipe out any one of those tufts you pictured above as a drain and treat.

the liquid peroxide travels down to the base of the tuft, and is xmitted all throughout the base via capillary action even though the drops didn't look like enough to cover it all up top...

so watch your tank as time goes by, compare it to what we have been told for ten years about algae control (attack all algae problems by stripping nitrate and phosphate further)

It doesnt have to be like that. You can leave your feeding/water changes and nutrient levels exactly as they are and the algae will never come back as fast. We don't know why this works. Every few months you might do a drain and treat for a tiny popup spot, or if its on top you lift the rock out and spot treat/rinse and your algae problems go away and never come back. This is what Im modeling right now in my vase, its been a solid year so far and I can predictively tell how things will work this year as well.

We didn't know why 1 gallon pico reefs worked for years and years while the large tank keepers were giving us science based reasons they shouldn't...

Im sure we'll figure the peroxide thing out in time as well.

Sometimes listening to the masses is a lame idea.

At least reefmiser showed it worked and we took that lead and applied it to tons of tanks its been real!

Thanks!

Yeah. I remember for my high school project some 8 years ago I made a self enclosed saltwater system. I had two 2L bottles. One had some macro algae and sand and air space the other had sand a LR with a few crabs. I had a tiny pump on a solar panel hooked up to a cell phone battery that would run some 10min/few hours when it got recharged from the solar panel moving water around. Lived fine for a year before I forgot about it.

I wish I took photos.

Edited by jason8612

quick question. option #1 remove rick with gha pour pure 3% peroxcide over rock. rinse in old tank water for a few seconds. and return to tank?

option#2. have a bucket of ild tank water. mix what ratio of water to chem. leave rock in dip for 5min. rinse clean tank water n return to tank?

I got 3pounds i need to ger corrected before its out of hand.

also if some gha is left on rock. it will die off in the tank?

well right now. i have no options but to use tap water for now :( tap water is o.25ppm phos. everthing thing els is zero. I did get ozoned water but that tested at 3.00ppm for phos. I called the water company. and yeah still waiting for a refund on 30gal worth of water. rodi unit I need to get fast I understand. waiting till payday.

in that case then let me change my response to its no more phosphate than what your tap water is bringing in lol dang thats a lot you need a spot cure of this until you can get that level down!!

I do have 10turbo snails and some macro. and sand siffters. but it still slowly grows. just to clarafy my phos leven in tank is only 0.25. the water im trying to return was 3.00. your right tho I need sime cure. till I get rodi water

can i take my maxi-nems and bta out of the water when i spot treat ???

cause i have no clue how to get them to move from there spots ......the maxi will not move lol

The maxi nems can hang in the wind for a minute not a prob but a bta I'd treat more carefully

Find ways to keep it wet while the target is soaked

Once I angled a xenia frag onto its side where the polyp stalk rested in water while one side covered in red brush algae was treated

Can you externally treat the anem yet keep it wet with a sprayer, things like that.

I'd also take into consideration how bad the treatment is needed when a bubble tip is present. Im thinking bubble tips should be added as the sixth member of the list of sensitives, doing what's needed to keep peroxide away from them

The maxi nems can hang in the wind for a minute not a prob but a bta I'd treat more carefully

Find ways to keep it wet while the target is soaked

Once I angled a xenia frag onto its side where the polyp stalk rested in water while one side covered in red brush algae was treated

Can you externally treat the anem yet keep it wet with a sprayer, things like that.

I'd also take into consideration how bad the treatment is needed when a bubble tip is present. Im thinking bubble tips should be added as the sixth member of the list of sensitives, doing what's needed to keep peroxide away from them

ya i can try to spray it and keep it wet but i have a few patches on that rock so i dont see anyway around it ......unless i figure out how to move him ??

im going to start treatment tomorrow cause i ran out of salt tonight and i dont feel like going to petsmart for reef crystals right now

Good I see some lightening even though its not as fast as most of the treatments

Its still dying tho

no livestock loss verified is nice

treat again no prob, hit the thick areas again. Also was the bottle brand new

In all other threads the algae died faster it almost looks like your peroxide might have been from an old bottle

I'm still happy w results though because the tank is safe and the algae shows signs of attack.

Can you repeat?

so i did the spot treatment but i kinda did it a lil different i think ......

i took the rock out into a bucket of tank water mixed with a couple clugs lol of peroxide.... removed by hand as much as i could then set it out of water where i spot treated it with straight peroxide and let sit for three to five mins.....then rinsed it with fresh saltwater .......put back in tank (huge pain in the ass by the way) trying to get all your rock to fit like it used to lol......then did a 50% wc

will post pics tomorrow of the progress and hopefully no DEATHS

Edited by bsdryder7
Good I see some lightening even though its not as fast as most of the treatments

Its still dying tho

no livestock loss verified is nice

treat again no prob, hit the thick areas again. Also was the bottle brand new

In all other threads the algae died faster it almost looks like your peroxide might have been from an old bottle

I'm still happy w results though because the tank is safe and the algae shows signs of attack.

Can you repeat?

The bottle is brand new, never opened. Expires 12/2013.

I was thinking about repeating it this weekend, though I can do it today. I'm just worried about the stress for the fish and the corals and the tank doing all the water changes, moving everything after just a few days.

Its ok to wait a few days then to take it slow

Some of the smaller spots should continue dying off

Was any of that rock able to be lifted out for a simple external treatment just wondering because that wouldn't shock the tank for a follow up treatment

Its ok to wait a few days then to take it slow

Some of the smaller spots should continue dying off

Was any of that rock able to be lifted out for a simple external treatment just wondering because that wouldn't shock the tank for a follow up treatment

I did remove the rock out of the water for the treatment.

Today it is getting whiter but still is green at the base. I'll see in a day or two. If not, I'll take the roks out again and spot treat.

I don't recall one time that a triple spot treatment failed to work. Or a first for that matter, it doesn't line up with the other time stamped before and after pics we've collected. guess we can keep watching, and treat it until it dies. I'm getting more suspect of your peroxide quality though, all other threads had total kill on pass one

a few people have regrowth faster than the others depending on tank parameters

But in all spot treat threads one pass did it, there's some detail missing for yours not to line up.

Edited by brandon429

Here is how it looks today. No change. It looks like another peroxide spot treatment.

I only did 1 so far (last Sunday). If I do one today it would be the second one.

2012-03-02%2013.42.40.jpg

That helps to know I was really wondering

still you took it safe no harm to your tank thanks for posting pictures can't wait to see the next round

I'd wet those tufts good this time

Let sit for a solid three or four mins, wetting the corals gently while it treats

Ran like that it has to make a dent one would think based on the other posted pics its worth it though to restore the tank to new

So today...

I took out the rocks and did the peroxide treatment, though unlike last time where I put a drop or two on each patch, I put a few more drops and kept it there for some 10min. I did hear some sound coming (like a fizz) so hopefully tat means its working. I rinsed the rocks in some fresh saltwater and put them back in.

During this time the blenny (sideshow bob) got all scared and jumped out of the tank on the floor. I was able to get him back in the water where he floated a bit then came back to life. I hope he will live :o So far he seems to be OK.

I then did some 1/3 water change. So not only did I rinse the rock, I also did a water change. I shouldn't have any high levels of H2O2 in the system.

2012-03-02%2023.04.30.jpg