inTank Media Baskets

29g "Radion" Biocube

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
Your tanks are pretty damn nice Tilton, but really? Complaining about low trafic? You have a solana frag tank and what might as well be a rock pile 29g biocube. Of course you have no other comments. Move to an interesting scape or let the corals grow out for 6 months before you post another update, then you will get wicked views and comments.

I had some positive feedback on my scape when I first set up my tank...thanks for being honest though. I would not say I was really complaining, only pointing out the obvious. Just want to hear what people think.

Let's say I did not "complain", would you have told me that it might be better going a different route with the scape? Thanks though for your feedback.

Thrassian Atoll
You have some great live stock but your photographs don't do them justice. My advice would be to spend some time learning your camera a better. Switch over to manual mode and start shooting off of a tripod. If you are using a phone, I would stop, you just can't get good photos with a camera phone.

I'm sure you know this already but pictures are what people look at first, if the photo's don't support stopping to read than it will not happen for you.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. You are absolutely right, the pics don't do it justice at all and it is really disappointing. All I have is a camera phone. I am hoping a buddy of mine can come take some good pictures one of these days. I am hoping to get a camera sometime but so many other things I want first. Like a radion :). I see the pictures, but when it is your tank and you take the pics, it's hard really being able to tell the quality. I think I want to believe they are of better quality or I can't tell when I know what the tank looks like. If that makes sense. I guess it just comes down to that I want to be able to show off what I have and when you see that nobody left any comments, it's hard not be discouraged I guess. I don't know. Thanks again though.

Thrassian Atoll
That flasher is pretty cool man. Looks like the coral he is swimming in front of is bleaching out though. Having issues?

Thanks man. That is just a red monty cap. It has always been a light red tone, since I got it. That was my first sps I got like 6 months ago. Never really dark. I get great colors out of some of my acros and caps, but that guy always stays a little lighter. Not sure if that is just the color of it. He is a little brighter red than in the picture, but every once in a while it dulls out a little and brightens back up in a day or two. Kind of weird, nothing else does that.

I am still trying to do the mixed reef thing. Not the greatest colors out of my sps. But not the best from the zoas either. So, Its almost like I might have to choose one or the other? My phosphates are at .05. I know if I want the best colors out of the sps I need to get the phosphates below .03. Getting good growth from everything though.

Getting a radion soon!! Maybe that will help colors too on some things. Also buying a camera soon!! Tax return was way way more than expected.

Edited by TILTON
I listed the light in the frag tank section above. It is a Nova Extreme 24" 4x24watt T5. I think it should be enough light for sps up high. I will only place sps on the top rack 3" below the surface. It will be a long time before I am fragging sps though.

Other than that, should I be good to go?

What the hell, I just got this in my email. Funny you mentioned it's quiet cause I haven't gotten an email on this thread in like 6 months. Hahaha. Everything looks great! That's a boat load of frags! I wish I had space for a frag tank. I have planned one out many times in my head. Maybe next year if I get a house. I like our apt too much. :)

Thrassian Atoll
What the hell, I just got this in my email. Funny you mentioned it's quiet cause I haven't gotten an email on this thread in like 6 months. Hahaha. Everything looks great! That's a boat load of frags! I wish I had space for a frag tank. I have planned one out many times in my head. Maybe next year if I get a house. I like our apt too much. :)

Haha, that was a way old post. Thanks a lot man. You don't need room in your house! The frag tank is in my laundry room haha. Only place to really put it. It was a ton of zoas.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank looks good Tilton,

I was looking for that article you sent me a text on. Woke up in the middle of the night and made my way downstairs to check on things. Don't want to go back up to get my phone and possibly wake the Wifey.

I'll have to check it out later.

I think all 16 of my zoa's are going to pull through. phew. I was a little worried on a few of them.

Scuba

Thrassian Atoll
Tank looks good Tilton,

I was looking for that article you sent me a text on. Woke up in the middle of the night and made my way downstairs to check on things. Don't want to go back up to get my phone and possibly wake the Wifey.

I'll have to check it out later.

I think all 16 of my zoa's are going to pull through. phew. I was a little worried on a few of them.

Scuba

Thanks man!! Glad all of your zoas are doing well. I was worried about a couple of yours not making, due to the random starfish getting in the cup somehow. All of mine from the group buy are doing well too. The thread you are looking for is under the forums and it is under the pest forums. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...
Thrassian Atoll

Finally got around to hanging my Radion up and all I can say is AMAZING. Replaced my aqualight pro with this and looks great. It has only been up for a couple of days, so I can not say how much my corals are responding or anything yet, but I hope all will go well.

I have it running from 8-9 right now. It turns dark blue around 7. I have it peak at 20K and at 30%. The sunrise through nightfull is amazing. Still trying to figure it all out. The program was a little hard figuring out, at least for me on my crappy computer.

I will post some pics here in the next day or two. I must say that I am very pleased. I did not realize how small these were until I put one over the tank. I can actually look down through my water now :)

Edited by TILTON

Thanks for the pic of the flasher wrasse. Good deal on the radion. Freaking expensive though. I'll have to wait to jump on that band wagon!

• 5 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

I still can not believe the tank is a year old already. Really wish my frags would grow faster though, haha. Here are a few pics of the tank now and the new radion Led. God I need a camera!! Do not mind the wires in the back. I had a heater stop working and threw a heater in there real quick. Still have to rearrange the wires. I put the light more towards the back of the tank, where all the sps are, so I could turn the light up more and still have less light for the lps and softies up front.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Very nice dude. And I hear ya on the frags! My monti and some chalice grows like crazy but everything else seems fairly slow. Even my zoas aren't growing very fast. I really need to get a mag and calc test kit!

Thrassian Atoll

Thanks man!! Yeah, I just ordered a BRS reactor. I am going to run some gfo and get my phosphates down. I cannot get my ph up at all though. It's been getting down to 7.66 at night. I even run the air line outside for the skimmer. No help. Thinking about running kalwasser. Maybe that might help?? Dunno. But maybe that might help stuff grow better with higher ph?

My monties are growing fast. My zoas are not growing at all either in my main display. In my frag tank they are doing great.

Tank turned a year old on the 1st!!

Thanks man!! Yeah, I just ordered a BRS reactor. I am going to run some gfo and get my phosphates down. I cannot get my ph up at all though. It's been getting down to 7.66 at night. I even run the air line outside for the skimmer. No help. Thinking about running kalwasser. Maybe that might help?? Dunno. But maybe that might help stuff grow better with higher ph?

My monties are growing fast. My zoas are not growing at all either in my main display. In my frag tank they are doing great.

Tank turned a year old on the 1st!!

Congrats! I'm a little under two months out for my tanks 1 year b-day.

Thrassian Atoll
Congrats! I'm a little under two months out for my tanks 1 year b-day.

That is awesome man!! Not sure how much longer I can stick to this size of a tank though, haha. Really looking at like a 30"x30"x16"-18". Might be uprgrading soon.

That is awesome man!! Not sure how much longer I can stick to this size of a tank though, haha. Really looking at like a 30"x30"x16"-18". Might be uprgrading soon.

I hear ya. I have a 135 in my garage that I'm acquiring parts for. Pick up a Vertex IN-280 skimmer this weekend and some LED lights for it next week. Then it's save mode again! Not looking forward to the cost of 2 MP40's!

• 5 years later...
Thrassian Atoll

Haven't had this tank years.  Awesome that my thread is still on here though.  Hopefully my new tank does a lot better than this one.  I have a feeling it will.  

Its crazy how photo quality has evolved in the 6 years since these were taken.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TILTON said:

Haven't had this tank years.  Awesome that my thread is still on here though.  Hopefully my new tank does a lot better than this one.  I have a feeling it will.  

Its crazy how photo quality has evolved in the 6 years since these were taken.

I looked to see who rezzed a zombie thread. Lets see some pics of the new setup 

Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

I looked to see who rezzed a zombie thread. Lets see some pics of the new setup 

Haha!  I have my new tank thread up.  I'll tag you.