Top Shelf Aquatics

my latest refugium sump build for my rsm.

thadscottmoore

thadscottmoore

took a while to complete. but, I hope to have it in service next week- replacing my first build.

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

IMAG01132.jpg

IMAG01121.jpg

IMAG01111.jpg

and yes, I used my faithfull StevieT collection cup for my tunze 9002!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
...and what skimmer are you using?

I believe its the tunze 9002

and yes, I used my faithfull StevieT collection cup for my tunze 9002!
thadscottmoore
Any current pictures and what skimmer are you using?

Sadly I lost nearly everything about 2 weeks ago when my Cental A/C went out while I was away... When I got home, the temp was 94 degrees in the house and a large majority of my corals died along with all my fish and shrimp. I managed to salvage most of my zoas, a candy cane, and a couple other corals - took to my frinds house and he is nursing it all back to health in his frag tank and his 240 gallon while I start over and get a cycle back in order.... and yes, it is the Tunze 9002 skimmer. Great little skimmer!

kriskristofferzen
:o that is a bummer, that was a sweet setup...good luck getting it going again! i go away in a few weeks, although i dont have many corals...that would be a nightmare to come back to....how much did you salvage?
thadscottmoore

thank you! I am working on getting it back in order- going through another cycle. A new start....

I salvaged my zoas and an acro and my kryptonite candy cane. Friend is baby sitting them until I can get my system back in order...

0729111453.jpg

• 4 months later...
thadscottmoore
PM SENT!!!!

PM returned! hope I didnt confuse you with my write up on the return PM. If you have any farther questions regarding the sump- fire away! hope what I wrote helps you out.

thadscottmoore

just need to buy a new camera phone! I did take some photo of the tank last night with my wifes high dollar digital camera- just need to down load the photos to my computer so i can upload to the net!

I love the rimless RSM. I took a cut off wheel to the part that stick up. I like the the sump design. It should work out good for you.

• 7 months later...
thadscottmoore

just to update the refugium diy build- running over a year now. in hind site- I am pretty pleased with it. If i had to do over, I would have gone similar to metrokats design- only gone taller on the chambers. She does have one sweet looking sump! only other difference would have been relocating the sock towards the front for easier access. My only regret with my build is having the input so hard to get too for maintenance. wish I had thought about placing the input/sock forward to an easier access point.

1344221664.jpg

1344218032.jpg

1344218011.jpg

1344217990.jpg

1344217958.jpg

1344217919.jpg

1344217784.jpg

I feel the same way but every sump design I have seen has the sock on the back or the side but towards the back. There doesn't seem to be a way around that unless you hard plumb PVC to the filter sock. A vinyl pipe will be too heavy and unwieldy.

What would you put where the filter sock is? I could consider the skimmer but I would need to reach it's inlet/pump in case it got clogged and needed cleaning. I have a display fuge so having any part of that towards the back would not work either.

I would like to get a new fuge made at some point, but I am still a bit stumped as far as placement of everything goes.

Life reef sumps, BTW, don't have a filter sock. It relies on sponge blocks and filter pads for filtration.

thadscottmoore
I feel the same way but every sump design I have seen has the sock on the back or the side but towards the back. There doesn't seem to be a way around that unless you hard plumb PVC to the filter sock. A vinyl pipe will be too heavy and unwieldy.

What would you put where the filter sock is? I could consider the skimmer but I would need to reach it's inlet/pump in case it got clogged and needed cleaning. I have a display fuge so having any part of that towards the back would not work either.

I would like to get a new fuge made at some point, but I am still a bit stumped as far as placement of everything goes.

Life reef sumps, BTW, don't have a filter sock. It relies on sponge blocks and filter pads for filtration.

I have considered ideas including just going to the tunze 9002 in the rear compartment of the tank itself next to the overflow box. mounting it would be an issue. though, as of right now- if I need to access the rear inlet- I have to move the current protein skimmer to get to it. remember- my sump is not a lifereef, I just took ideas from lifereef to build it- in current form, it would take a little modification to plumbing and reversing the bulkhead wall between the inlet chamber and the refugium to achieve a filter sock approach towards the front, when I first built the sump- I had intended to go with a filter sock and did. After servicing it couple times- I realized it was a real pain with the limited overhead room in the rear of the sump and abandoned the idea.

I don't know why I haven't stumbled onto this thread before, but what a great job on the sump! I'm sure it wasn't easy to design one for that space. I think I'm gonna have lifereef make me one but I plan to put it next to my tank with a display fuge.

Do you happen to have a pic of the overflow? And where does your return dump into?

I've been a major pain the the asss to Kat regarding her sump, lol. (lot's of stupid questions) :huh:

BTW, tank looks great too.

Spiro, have you looked at aqueon proflex sumps? They're really awesome too. I was seriously considering that but they don't quite fit in the cabinet (there is room left over). If you are not going to put it in the cabinet, look at their sumps. You can still use the lifereef overflow.

lg-72517-52568-fish-supply.jpg

$300

Model 4

36" x 13-3/4" x 18-7/8" high

Sump dimensions 16" x 13-3/4"

thadscottmoore
I don't know why I haven't stumbled onto this thread before, but what a great job on the sump! I'm sure it wasn't easy to design one for that space. I think I'm gonna have lifereef make me one but I plan to put it next to my tank with a display fuge.

Do you happen to have a pic of the overflow? And where does your return dump into?

I've been a major pain the the asss to Kat regarding her sump, lol. (lot's of stupid questions) :huh:

BTW, tank looks great too.

photo of the return when I first installed it couple years back. its a lifereef. Outstanding product and awesome craftsmanship. he didnt have the silencer offered back when I bought- so, I fashioned my own.

IMAG0117.jpg

sump dumps into the pump return chamber on the max.

Archived