ReefCleaners.org

Psychs' shallow square

Psychosis

Current FTS

041911190042.jpg

The Tank

040611213254.jpg

The tank is 20x20x10 acrylic with corner overflow.

040611213408.jpg

Equipment

10 Gallon Sump

Aquaticlife 115 (to be replaced by a bubble magus)

Rio 1700 Return

2x Koralia Evolution 420

Mega Mystery Heater

Lighting

2x Evil Par38 20k

1x Boostled Par 30 3 blue 2 white

Current Stock

Mobile

2x Pajama Cardinal

1x Lawnmower Blenny (was supposed to be a tailspot...)

1x Giant* Hermit Crab (golfball size for now)

5x Florida Cerith

3x Nerite Snail

8x Nassarius Snail

40+ Dwarf Cerith

20+ Zig Zag Periwinkle

Immobile

Blasto

Duncan

Acan

1polyp zoanthid, AOG or something similar

Xenia (fast grower for faster trades)

Encrusting Hydnophora

Small meat coral

Unknown SPS, some type of montipora

Well, after close to 3000 posts...
:lol: You're not even to 2,300 posts. But that's alright, I'll still follow along. Pics please.

With out a tank thread it may as well be 30,000 imo.

Pics in the works, have to find some kind of photobucket app.

One bad cell pick of a filthy tank, check?

Lets call it a work in progress shot

number 2

032911172440.jpg

Just got done cleaning the tank, update pics later. Really need to hang that fixture.

Sharp might be humouring me a bit, but thanks. The previous owner suffered through a tank crash, and just let it sit for a while. He helped me clean out most of it, but that was fairly horrific. Next up is an equipment check, then things actually get interesting.

All right, a bit of progress. Ive dry fitted a few potential aquascapes with proxy rock, and thus far this is my favourite. Some of the rock will be replaced, but the idea will be the same.

040111181518.jpg

040111181419.jpg

040111181352.jpg

I cant help but notice its a little aj_tsinesque, but if it works it works. Ill be trying a few others later.

They are honestly difficult to scape well. I find myself wanting to build up the back half with no where to go. Still, im very happy with the island look. I also built up what I can only describe as a ravine, but I didnt snap any pictures. It looked something like cborts 36x36x12 with less rock.

If you're waiting to pull the trigger on a shallow tank, I can tell you its even better than it looks.

040111181446.jpg

Another shot. I think I may screw with it more, just because.

Wooh! Water makes everything more exciting. I love this freaking tank. I'll be updating more later, just wanted to share a couple of bad pics.

If only I had a real camera, you guys could share in my excitement. Even cloudy its boss.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, updates. I've made final transfers, and rescaped the back half of the tank. I'm very happy with the flow through this tank. I have the perfect happy median between low flow and sand storm. It's no vortech, but two koralia 425 pointing at each other does create very random flow, particularly around sps aisle.

Pics taken during feeding time.

Edit: the rocks themselves look terrible here. Much more appealing in person, I'll try a real camera next time.

041511140021.jpg

041511140055.jpg

041511140142.jpg

041511140249.jpg

041511140259.jpg

041511140308.jpg

Now, I do have more work to do. I do not like the fact that I have a fixture during on my rimless tank, for instance. I'm happy with the scape, but I believe I'll be trading up the equipment. I do still have a pair of par38 for instance, once I can find a decent mounting solution.

Thanks for looking,

DJ

Thanks! I just wish the pictures didnt make it look like a cess pool. My cell camera gives everything a green tinge, which is a bad thing for aquarium photo s.

Still, I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. Just a few more tweaks. Oh, and an axe for the damsel. This particular specimen is fairly passive aggressive, but he still startles the cardinals during feeding time, and appears to seperate them.

Im also going to upgrade the skimmer. I dont mind the aquaticlife, I just feel a bubble magus nac3 would be more appropriate.

Well, playing with spotlighting in an attempt to add depth. Awesome so far.

041611174859.jpg

041611174410.jpg

041611174920.jpg

I'm selling the t5 fixture and going back to led completely. I was shopping for replacement bulbs and decided I might as well get a second par30, or another 38. I have a mounting system planned for 3 all ready.

Thanks ben!

Ok, here it is. One phenomenal update. All I had to do was ditch the t5 and, well, check it out.

041911190042.jpg

I have an evil par38 20k with 40 degree optics, and a boostled par30 with 60's. Can you tell where the 38 is pointing? Im glad ive been playing with spotlighting, it wont stay this way. Blends much better in person any way.

041911190126.jpg

041911190109.jpg

041911190057.jpg

(not nearly this blue in person, I apologize. You know how it is with LED photos...)

Im going to be remounting them and adding another bulb.

Now that I dont have a fixture sitting on my tank, im going to modify the overflow. As you can see, the water level all ways looks very low. The teeth on this thing are huge. Ill be designing a little modular tweak so I have control over the water line.

Thanks for looking,

DJ

Archived