Pod Your Reef

We Pay $$ for Your Algae Pictures

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

$10 cash money (via paypal) for every picture of an algae species we do not currently have in the Nuisance Algae ID Guide, also we need a new picture of diatoms and will be paying for that as well, so if you have a new tank with a brown powdery mess all over the place congrats!!!

If you want credit for the photo, please write it on the photo, I am the least organized guy you will meet with photos and the like.

HecticDialectics
Nuisance Algae

HeticDialectics

hd.gif

I will take my $10 now

:P

I appreciate your enthusiastic nomination, but unfortunately, I will have to claim MY $10.

johnmaloney

lol...

roly - sorry to hear about your film algae, doesnt look to bad though, I get if you get the powerhead spreading it around clean the glass wont need the mag float as much. unfortunately we have a picture of that already

johnmaloney

edit: diatoms have been sold, so we dont need that shot anymore

lol.. you see how good those snails are? they eat algae and leave coral :)

Cool contest! I hope you find the pictures you're looking for!

I feel privileged enough though to have a few pictures already in the nuisance algae thread ;)

Since my tank is a mess I'm totally game...

I swear Im not as negligent as you all probably think I am. It was always a small problem but got out of control after my mom landed in the ICU. She's now moving to sunny FL as the cold hurts her frostbite, I had to help her pack and move...

post-50543-1301424202_thumb.jpg

post-50543-1301424210_thumb.jpg

post-50543-1301424327_thumb.jpg

johnmaloney

either got those or dont consider them a nuisance, I am pretty fond of caulerpa in general...but if you need ids on them i can help out

fern caulerpa

razor caulerpa

grape caulerpa

halimeda (money plant)

hair and lastly film algae

Cool contest! I hope you find the pictures you're looking for!

I feel privileged enough though to have a few pictures already in the nuisance algae thread ;)

how is that tank doing now? I remember you being a real contender that year. :P

either got those or dont consider them a nuisance, I am pretty fond of caulerpa in general...but if you need ids on them i can help out

fern caulerpa

razor caulerpa

grape caulerpa

halimeda (money plant)

hair and lastly film algae

how is that tank doing now? I remember you being a real contender that year. :P

Thanks for the I.d.

The razor is acutually sort of cool, as it glows blue. The halimeda grows slow.

The rest I want to take a torch to.

My snail shells have some kind of algae growing off them. I didn't get them from you though.

Not sure what it is, but maybe it will count

I'll get some pics up later.

Maybe you can tell me what kind of algea this is. I KNOW it's a type of hair algea, but I'm wondering what kind of hair algea. This thing grows in 0 nitrate and almost no phosphate. Nastier than other types of hair algea that I've fought. I cen send bigger pics if you want.

Chyendraalgae3sm.jpg

ChyendraAlgea2sm.jpg

ChyendraAlgae1sm.jpg

Here are some of my pics of the nuisance algae.

I don't know what some of them are..

This green spikey stuff had to be pulled out several times before it died out. It spread quick and tried smothering out my sps.

sps1-1.jpg

This stuff I think is a type of ochtodes, though I am not sure.

It is extremely brittle to the touch and once it lands somewhere it starts growing and spreads like crazy.

It collects detritus in it a lot, and houses bristle worms like nothing else.

redmacro.jpg

algae01-27-2010.jpg

ochtodes09-09-2010.jpg

johnmaloney

"ochtodes" looks like a species I am familiar with but need to grab the book...I remember the page though, want to say it is laurencia related.

already piacked up a diatoms photo but I appreciate it.

the other one above that is GHA

I bought some Macro florida rocks from Johnmaloney about 1 month ago. He is friendly and very great service. But here are some pictures of diatom all over.. This is my new tank i am working on in progress at the moment, now it's time for some CUC soon!

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8909.jpg

Dont know if this counts for anything but might as well try lol

here you go:

post-53662-1301408984_thumb.jpg

post-53662-1301408955_thumb.jpg

post-53662-1301409044_thumb.jpg

O.K.-Its Film Algae. That's what I have and it makes me crazy. It's only on my hardware-glass, powerheads, etc.

And John, what eats it or how do I get rid of it. I want it gone!!!

Heres my bush!!! I think my cleanup crew is on strike, complete with flatworms and some kind of mysterious brown leathery algae on the right side of the picture. It only took 2 weeks for that rock to bloom like that from 1 tiny patch. That will teach me to go on vacation, I think someone didn't follow my directions and used some "other" top off water when I wasn't around. :angry:

P1020383.jpg

Archived