ReefCleaners.org

Keith's BioCube 14

Nolesx4

Hello people,

I have been involved in the aquarium hobby since I was a kid.

30 years later, I saw a lonely BioCube 14 sitting on the shelf on clearance at PetSmart. $110 gotta get it.

I have been reading every article I can find, purchasing all the stuff to "start it right", and doing basic mods on the BC.

I'm going to try to keep a from day 1 log, so let's get started!

Big box of goodness!

IMG_0237.jpg

It's a boy, or a girl... I don't know yet?!?

IMG_0238.jpg

Popped out the false floor in #1

IMG_0286.jpg

BioBalls gone, guess it was a girl... or it is now!

IMG_0290.jpg

No need to scrape paint on this one!

IMG_0292.jpg

Pump upgrade. Doesn't put out the 300gph it's rated, seems more like 175gph when I tested it.

IMG_0310.jpg

50w Eheim Jager in #1

IMG_0307.jpg

Tap water filter set-up (filters, TD meter, tubing and DI not installed yet). I'll be using it for my 100 gal freshwater tank also.

IMG_0309.jpg

Edited by Nolesx4

Thanks, I will look into that MJ900.

My very un-scientific test showed the 1200 pumps 167-175 gph. and the stock pump was right at the 137 gph rating. I filled a 5 gal bucket and timed how long it took to drain with each pump. Then calculated it time out to GPH.

I'm going to get some Korilia Nano's for flow. I was wondering what the consensus on two 425's in a BC14...too much? I've seen either one 240 or 425, but not two in a BC14.

Depends on what you want to keep.

I use two 425's on a timer. Both run randomly through out the day sometimes overlapping duration and I only have 1 running through the night.

I mostly have LPS and Softies but IMO you can never really have too much flow . .

OK,

Tonight I did some DIY. I made a drip plate for #2 chamber.

IMG_0318.jpg

Plexi cut to size. Did some trimming to get a perfect fit.

IMG_0320.jpg

Holes marked out and ready to drill.

IMG_0321.jpg

Dinner break!!!

IMG_0323.jpg

3/16" holes going in.

IMG_0325.jpg

Holes done.

IMG_0327.jpg

Chamfer bit.

IMG_0328.jpg

All holes get it... no euphemism intended.

IMG_0329.jpg

Finished drip plate on stock one for comparison purpose only.

IMG_0332.jpg

Had some chipping on the holes due to not using an acrylic bit. I just chamfered the bottom holes a little to get a cleaner look.

IMG_0335.jpg

Drip plate in place.

IMG_0336.jpg

Depends on what you want to keep.

I use two 425's on a timer. Both run randomly through out the day sometimes overlapping duration and I only have 1 running through the night.

I mostly have LPS and Softies but IMO you can never really have too much flow . .

I think I'll go with 2x425's on a timer too.

Thanks

heya :) looks awesome!

how'd you pop that false floor in chamber 1 out? i cut myself to crap and gave up :(

I took a broom handle and pushed on one corner, and it popped off. You have to push pretty hard.

Then just reached in and pulled it and all the silicon out.

Next mod will be to enlarge the overflow between #1 & 2 chamber.

Alright,

I have had some free time from work.

So, I did a few more things to get the BC14 ready to go.

Swapped the bulbs so fans come on with the actinic.

Que "Psycho" theme!!!

64429d8a.jpg

Sanded smooth as a baby's sanded bottom.

1612274e.jpg

First water/leak test. Passed with flying colors...YEA!!!

f86bc781.jpg

DIY drip tray working very good, and I am unanimous in that.

a491e26d.jpg

Thinking of a spray bar for behind the live rock, to keep it clean.

f3dae82c.jpg

Next things I have planned:

Removing fins over fans in light cover.

Add fans to back of hood to aid cooling...The summers in Central CA can get F-ing hot.

Design and build stand.

Build fuge light system.

Set-up X10 controllers for lighting.

Have a good day folks!

Edited by Nolesx4

Another day of thinking leads me to this.

I have a hydor 1200 that I was disappointed with the output, so what could I do with it?

How about making an up-current reactor for my Purigen and Chem-Pure!?! The thinking is to get better contact between the water and the media.

1 1/4" PVC cap and a 4' florescent light protector.

dca91b83.jpg

The pump is 2" tall so an 8" tube it is.

3d20e071.jpg

Hole big enough for a friction fit in the pump output.

88147783.jpg

e4f54c1d.jpg

Finished prototype.

6439eb9a.jpg

027c55d2.jpg

My secret testing facility!

5ace3efb.jpg

It works pretty good. And fit's nicely in the second chamber. The thin wall of the tube should be OK as there is really no pressure.

OK, just tried to fit the Purigen and Chem-Pure in the chamber... only 1 will fit. So I think I'll use this for the Purigen as the bag is smaller. And place the Chem-Pure in the space between 2&3 chamber where the sponge was..

Edited by Nolesx4
  • 2 weeks later...

YEA!!!

Two boxes arrived today:

2x Nano 425's, and the 5-stage water filter and D/I stuff from BRS for making clean water.

I'm almost excited to get this up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this Easter week the stand starts to come to life.

Had to go thru the whole 16 sheets to find the oak I liked. It was the 2nd to last sheet, damn Home Depot.

763b48a0.jpg

Sides cut and routed to hold the bottom shelf. Back brace to screw into the wall stud to prevent tipping.

e0668554.jpg

Checking the width to match the BC14 exactly.

67bcb9e9.jpg

My son holding it together during the dry fit. It was actually easier than I thought.

7e583cb1.jpg

Thank goodness he's wearing his new shoes. They seem to last 2-3 month with him!

59ceff6a.jpg

It measures 32" tall, 21" deep and 15" wide. I should be able to fit all the electrical (switches, timers, outlets, battery back-up, etc.), and the in-line reactors.

Next step will be the face frame, finishing and assembly.

Hope to have it done soon so I can get the tank up and running so we can all enjoy it.

Edited by Nolesx4
  • 2 weeks later...

Just and update...

Been out of town for work a lot and not able to finish the stand as quickly as I thought. Hope to get it done this weekend.

I'll be in Tennessee for a week the end of the month, so I'll be postponing the cycling/stockin process until I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Stand is glued and stained. Face frame to come.

f69a9156.jpg

You can see the color samples on the scrap board. I tried to match the shelves I made 16 years ago, pain in the arse!!!

Got the MJ900 to replace the replacement pump I got. Guess I can use that for mixing the salt.

Sand and salt have been purchased from the pet store around the corner from me.

I'm excited about getting this running. And as soon as the family and I get back from Tennessee and the World Destination Imagination Championship. My kids took #1 in region and #2 in state. Hope to get top 50 in world!

Edited by Nolesx4

Face frame done and stained. Top trim stained and ready to do in the morning.

602674b3.jpg

Need some help folks... Tank has a slight wobble when on top of the stand, tank to stand. What are some recommendations to get the wobble out? I was thinking a piece of foam for it to sit on to level it out.

Edited by Nolesx4
chucktdbm321

Yes and that will help insulate the tank as well. What i used was a cheap foam yoga mat from our local dollar store cost 5 bucks and its durable foam that won't deteriorate

It will be the MaxiJet900 for the return pump once I get it up and running. Going to use the Pico1200 for salt mixing, with the stock pump as a back-up, or to power a reactor.

And the stand is DONE!!!

87f0aef9.jpg

And a full freshwater test of the system. No leaks, movement of 425 Korila's nice on wave maker, MJ900 good output, and got the lights working again. I swapped the two bulbs earlier so the fans come on with the actinic. When I plugged them in today, NO lights only the fans. I unplugged everything and reseated the bulbs, and all is now OK.

c19710b4.jpg

Edited by Nolesx4
  • 2 weeks later...

My BRS Pukani rock just arrived. 15#'s of nice fist to double fist size, just like I asked them for. I'm getting to like BRS more and more. Can't wait to get the 'scape going this weekend.

562af448.jpg

239d6ad3.jpg

I did weigh it, and it was just over 15. Would be 40 with water weight!!??!!

Seriously like this rock. The LFS can't come close to this. Just gotta wait for stuff to start growing on it now.

Just did a quick rinse to get off the dust and stuff, and gained 10#'s. I can only imagine once it gets saturated with water.

Edited by Nolesx4