lotz

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Original Post:

Teasers for now:

03262011733.jpg

03262011734.jpg

This is the tank I had before I set the 75 up, same exact aquarium. I will however be taking a few different steps regarding maintenance and set up. Here is a pic just before I took it down the first time:

a.jpg

New pic now that things have cleared up a bit. Had to turn the brightness down, those dual 250ws are bright lol

P5120004.jpg

Will be switching to Red Sea coral pro salt as soon as my IO runs out. IO seems to be a decent salt for the money, but I am tired of having low Mg issues so for a few bucks more hopefully I wont have to worry about that again.

What happened to the 75?

Are you going to update this one more than the other? Haha!!

Looks good

gg

What happened to the 75?

Are you going to update this one more than the other? Haha!!

Looks good

gg

What Aaron said. I also plan on ditching the MH for some LEDs or T5s ASAP. I want a cheapish tank to maintain and run while I'm at college, and the 75 w/ mh just wasn't it. Plus I can fit the 40b in my car :D

a 40b is still large for a college tank though! It looks awesome by the way.... I just set up my 40b and i wanted to get that style of rock scape going with the separated islands, but my rock isn't so suited to do that. I'll probably do some more experimenting soon, and maybe cherry pick some good new pieces of rock...

/Will be switching to Red Sea coral pro salt as soon as my IO runs out. IO seems to be a decent salt for the money, but I am tired of having low Mg issues so for a few bucks more hopefully I wont have to worry about that again./

be aware every salt is different in trace elemnts you should buy it now and gently switch over! ive seen very terrible things happen rapidly switching!

a 40b is still large for a college tank though! It looks awesome by the way.... I just set up my 40b and i wanted to get that style of rock scape going with the separated islands, but my rock isn't so suited to do that. I'll probably do some more experimenting soon, and maybe cherry pick some good new pieces of rock...

Thanks! I had that problem with the 75... been wanting to do the two island thing for a while but couldn't pull it off with the rock I had. Most of the rock in this tank is from Marco Rocks.

be aware every salt is different in trace elemnts you should buy it now and gently switch over! ive seen very terrible things happen rapidly switching!

Yup. I left about 5gs worth of IO to mix in with the new Red Sea salt. I will only be doing 5g water changes wtih it so that's less than 10% with the sump included. Shouldn't be too bad!

Update: Working out a trade with a member here for a 2 x 150w sunpod. That should suit this tank a lottle more :D

Salt came in today with a broken bucked courtesy of FedEx, but the bag didn't tear so it's all good. Mixed 35g with about 10% IO and the rest Red Sea salt. Did a 5g water change. Nothing looks stressed so I'll call it a success!

Have a dual 150w Sunpod on the way. Corals seems to be doing well with the Red Sea salt too!

Dang, where'd you find a dual Sunpod?

On here actually! Someone posted one for sale, I asked if they would trade for my 2 x 250w AM light but he didn't want that much light. Someone PMd me after seeing that thread who also had a 2 x 150w sunpod and offered to trade. Hopefully they are as good as some of the reviews say

On here actually! Someone posted one for sale, I asked if they would trade for my 2 x 250w AM light but he didn't want that much light. Someone PMd me after seeing that thread who also had a 2 x 150w sunpod and offered to trade. Hopefully they are as good as some of the reviews say

I loved the 250w Sunpod I had over my Solana. Best light I've ever owned. A real shame they quit making them.

That's awesome to hear. How did you like the LEDs? Did they make a difference when the light was on?

That's awesome to hear. How did you like the LEDs? Did they make a difference when the light was on?

Nah, I only used the LEDs at night. Well actually I had the blue ones on for nighttime and then the white ones came on an hour before the MH came on and went off an hour after the MH shut off. Sort of like a "sunrise/sunset" function.

Oh sweet, so the blue and white LEDs have their own plugs? I was hoping to do exactly what you were doing, but thought the LEDs would be comtrolled by one plug!

Sweet setup! I like your double island scape. Can't wait to build my own 40b.

Thanks! I was actually just looking at your tank thread. Love the tank, and the clor from the light is PERFECT!

Oh sweet, so the blue and white LEDs have their own plugs? I was hoping to do exactly what you were doing, but thought the LEDs would be comtrolled by one plug!

Yeah on mine there were 4 separate power cords. One for the MH, another for the fans and then 2 transformers. One each for the blue and white LEDs.

Nice! I'm so excited to get it lol. Coming with 20k bulbs but I may change em to Phoenix 14Ks, loved em on the 75. Maybe build an LED strip with some RBs to add a bit more pop.

That sucks! But still makes me feel good about the trade lol (assuming it's not a scam haha. that would suuuuuuuuck)

Archived