Top Shelf Aquatics

Sexy Breeding -- Live nudes!

Whys

It's going to be awhile before I can take the next step in this project. In the meantime, I want to give an update on my Keyhole Limpets (Diodora cayenensis).

Uncertain of their dietary needs, I decided to place them in the display, the fuge, and the flatworm culture dish. Sadly, none of them survived. While they did eat some algae, they also spent a lot of time grazing unseen food from the live rock -- possibly bacterial colonies -- and never touched any of my corals. I assumed that the home aquarium is simply an unsuitable environment for these limpets and moved on. But then...

A few weeks later I found a baby limpet, smaller than a pea. I don't know exactly where it came from since it is highly unlikely they reproduced in my tank, but it must have at least been hiding under one of the adult's shells when I acclimated them. I've been watching it grow, now the size of an adult, and even better, I HAVE TWO!

Both have been doing well and now my new theory is that the adults probably don't live very long once they reach full size. We'll see. :)

survivors.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have TONS of the small 0.5cm limpets in my DT, filter, coming out the sides of the water... I wouldn't imagine that heir dietary needs would be too dissimilar

Some species are more carnivorous than others and it is known that a few will devour colonial hydroids. But not much is known as to the specific dietary requirements for specific species of the nearly 200 different species of Key Hole limpet.

I wanted to try these guys in my kreisel when it became infested with colonial hydroids, but they didn't arrive until after I sterilized the system. I have no idea how long these two should naturally survive, or how long it will be before my kreisel gets infested again. Thus I may never get to test these two limpets for that purpose, but it is good to know that my reef tank provides adequate conditions if I need to obtain more later.

Some species are more carnivorous than others and it is known that a few will devour colonial hydroids. But not much is known as to the specific dietary requirements for specific species of the nearly 200 different species of Key Hole limpet.

Huh, interesting; i had no idea they might be carnivorous.

I think not much is known about the specific dietary needs of the vast majority or marine life, for that matter also

I think not much is known about the specific dietary needs of the vast majority or marine life, for that matter also

Yep! That's why I'm still in this hobby. Human knowledge and research for new knowledge, has specialized to the extent that it is hard for anyone other than an experienced professional to add anything truly new or useful to their field of study. There are few fields of study where a genuine amateur, with a little determination, can still yield useful new discoveries -- how ever small they might be. :)

Someone here asked me in another thread once if I knew what PhD stood for. It seemed an intentionally conceited remark, so I linked to that same page to urge humility and lighten the atmosphere.

Obviously... PhD stands for Pinnacle of human Deduction. :)

• 3 years later...

ninja.gif

• Show me step zero.
  • Why is 5 afraid?
  • Who are Jetsam & Lagan?
  • Who's the short one?
  • What is the answer to life the universe and everything?

Times up!

1. Step zero.

goof_off.jpg

2. Because 10, 8, 6! :lol:

3. Jetsam = Dick Cheney; Lagan = Scooter Libby :D

4. Jade is the tall one, so Amber must be the short one. Obviously.... :rolleyes:

5. It's multiple choice. The answer is........ B

• 3 weeks later...

Archived