Cultivated Reef

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Stephensx04

Looked up about that. Looks like its for freshwater. Doesnt mention anything about marine life.

This formulation was developed with a leading aquaculture laboratory and is designed for use with sensitive fish such as loaches, electric eels, knife fishes, tetras, and catfishes.

I would do a couple water changes over the next couple days and get a product that says its for marine use and safe for inverts.

Builder Anthony

I think i have most of it out.theres very little ich left on the one fish i see the most.Its got a few specks on its tail.Im very suprised it did anything at all.On the downside i think it may have done something to the gills of the bigger neon goby i have hes been sitting in one spot most of the time and his breathing looks a little acelerted.Its not really swimming around like it was before.I do plan on doing another 40 percent water change every day for at least three days.It is shocking my system but i dont want the ich to breed in there.Souppsedly ich lives for 24-48 hours then single cell divides.One thing good about this ich medicine is that it has no dyes in it.Formaldehyde is pretty nasty to add to the tank though.I think the lemon juice i added threw off the ph and did that to the xeinas.They should recover but they came real close to droping heads.I dont think ill really be ading anymore unless it looks like the spots increase in size.

Edited by Builder Anthony
Stephensx04

I would do a full water test and see where everything is at. I had a few spots of ich on my Catalina goby, didnt treat and he fought it off. If the fish are stressed it makes the ich worse. If you have to set up a quarantine tank and treat with copper. Hope it all recovers for you.

Builder Anthony

Well im not going to dose anymore im just tryen to get all that Formaldehyde out of my tank.I thought the two changes yesterrday i did took most of it out.Maybe if it was a differnt fish i would let them try and fight off the ich but yellow clowns arent to good at that in my experience.Im trying not to stress them to much by doing 30 percent water changes.But theres no way i can cacth them id have to tear the tank apart and that just cant happen.Im hoping for the best .So far no losses but i got some damages and i am walking on a real thin thread here.

Cant see testing right now because im doing max water changes shifting everything around so i would have to have it at least finish mixing.Did another jar change today which is around 30 percent.I souppose i can test before i turn the lights off but im going to run the lights till 10 at night and push the photo period for some coral damage that i didnt have yesterday.The yellow clowns have very minor traces of ich.Id say one very small dot thats almost clear.Its on his tail.The spot on his head went away or i just cant see it.

Here is the new coral damage with a billowing of mucus by a acan colony.

DSCF1557-1.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

Inside this holding area is a red neon mushroom which had slime on it from the acan.Im thinking this is coral warfare slime since it almost took out this mushroom and was becomeing sourrounded in the same cloud as the acan.

Theres also the xeina which have a dark brownish tint on the heads.

Camo mushroom which was stung by the acan a few days ago was moved a few inches away from the acan but also had some of the same billowing could blown onto it.I dont think that all the mushrooms would produce the same slime so im guessing its from the acan.It was also doing damage to the mushroom.So i blew siphoned off the brown stuff and swished around the mushrooms to get all these things off and placed them into a holding area at 25 salt with 1 12 wattatinic blue and 1 50/50 6 watt flouresent they are cacthing a few rays from the led as well.

DSCF1559-1.jpg

I also caught the flatworm that was eating my snails last night hes about 2 inches.Hes now in the water change jar with the coral eating crab.

DSCF1555.jpg

Builder Anthony

10:00pm

Water change one jar.

I think im gona keep the 6 watt 50/50 on all night because the xeinas are turning whiteish.I cant really have anything crash in the holding area.

10:00Pm

DSCF1518-2.jpg

Neon Goby

DSCF1514-1.jpg

Yellow Clown that uasually hides

DSCF1510-1.jpg

arent you breeding the clown gobies here? why do you have other fish interfering?

two pairs of gobies in a 5 gal tank doesnt sound very roomy either =/

I hope your corals recover. treating fish in other non-reef tanks is best.

I've had the same problem with Blue Neon Gobies, even quality ones from ORA.

They seem to be effective ich carriers, despite their habit of cleaning parasites from other fish, which I thought would allow them some immunity.

They look 100%, I put them in my tank, Ich appears, fish die.

I had given up on them at one point, but I think they are really great little fish otherwise- though very fiesty towards same sp.

Edited by WRH
Builder Anthony

Yes i am trying to breed the Yellow Clown gobys and the Neon gobys both in the same tank.I havent seen any issuses with these two species in the same tank.They really get along good to tell you the truth.

My yellow clown uasually zips out from under the yellow sponge rock and sits in a spot near it.Thats like one of his spots.I also notice the neon goby taking a likeing to that spot and sometimes they sit like within a inch of each other.Its the bigger neon goby that does this.The smaller one hides all the time because if the bigger one sees him he will imediately attck him.So the smaller goby hangs out on the right side of the tank with the smaller yellow clown goby which also gets attacked by the larger yellow clown goby from the right side.So all the dominant fish are on the right and all the others on the left.Thats whats going on with the fish.

I havent posted any pictures of the back of my tank which actually has a real cool 8 x 8 cave.I think this area is where the fish will nest at.I very rarely go back in there and if i do its only for something that fell from the top to the back.Theres some cheato and alot of open sand back there from tank wall to tank wall.I really dont think the tank is to small.There are alot of holes for the gobys.When the smaller goby gets seen it swims off and it uasully losses the bigger one in the holes pretty quickly.Ive had a sheet of glass cut for the top of the tank today.

I agree treating them in a non reef tank would be best but theres no way to cacth all four fish.So i made the descision to risk some coral loss for the sake of the fish.

Ph is probally low with all the water changes.I took a test in the morning and it was low but i spilt it on accident.

DSCF1553-1.jpg

Morning picture showing newly formed mucus.Throughout the day id blow it off but it kept reforming.It took out the red neon mushroom as well.More damage has occured since the morning and the brown mucus awalys seems to reform.

So i moved these to the tank after swishing them off.they seem like they will be ok.The mushroom retracted its stingers but has alot of damage.

DSCF1558-1.jpg

This was taken at lights on of the blue candy cane.It does this every night.

DSCF1523-1.jpg

man your coral looks like they aren;t having to great of a day :(. but it looks like your fish are doing better, the ones that lived that is. keep up the Q tank, and remember to put your fish in there for a few weeks first next time, lol

Builder Anthony

All the fish are still alive.Although there are about 3 very small spots on the smaller yelow clown goby.All the others seem ok.

Not quarenting gave we a swift kick alright.

two pairs of gobies will mean that there is a higher risk of the eggs getting eaten. if I was a goby i would eat another's eggs, just saying =/

Builder Anthony

Ya thats true.I hope to keep them well fed to avoid that.I had the neon gobys spawn once before and i took them out of the tank because i had a black and white damsel and two maroon clowns.I seen them swimming in some cheato.A small group of about 12.I got as many as i could out and set them in a glass for about ten minutes.I looked back to the glass and they were all dead.I think a temperture swimg happened and killed them.There were only like 3 or 4 others left in the tank and they disappeared.The point is my other fish were in there and i know they seen them but they just left them alone.So im hoping that will happen but it could be wishfull thinking.

Builder Anthony

Its actually low or macthing when things were ok.I have some other photos posted on page 2 that i look back for comparison.Took tests of water before adding to tank a while back to see what color shows up from walmart machine water.It awalys reads some sort of yellow green after sitting in test for 20 minutes.

ParanoidObseshun

Dosing the tank because you couldnt catch the fish???

Its a 5 gallon, whats not easy about that? Get a seperate container and put some water in it and start moving the rock and corals into for a few mins so it makes catching the fish easy. Eventhough based on the size of the tank it is already easy. Definitely worth taking a little extra time taking things out like that to catch the fish than killing off all the corals you had!

I would also seperate the gobies to, why have them compete for space when you could just toss up another small tank next to it. Give them a better chance of laying eggs without other fish eating them.

Builder Anthony

I try to be acurate with the information i put in my topic about my tank.If things are bad in my tank i post them and keep track of them,along with things that are postive.

There are a few things that make taking the rock out of my tank not exzactly easy.

Hammer may be attaching to the rock from the side.

DSCF1528-3.jpg

I dont think this coral has taken to the rock yet.It has a small pebble on the bottom that keeps it in the hole.It poped out about a 2 weeks ago from the hole i droped it in but it has grown some since and it finally looks like when it inflates enough to keep it in the hole.At night it slims some the foot or sides should be taking if it has not already done so.

DSCF1524-5.jpg

Pineapple sponges on underside of rock

Sea squirt or something simmilar is in the rock

DSCF1520-3.jpg

35 asteria starfish throughout the tank

Naserius snail somewhere in the sand

Sponges.....some connected to both rocks

DSCF1517-4.jpg

DSCF1519-1.jpg

This sponge was taken from the coral eating crab that was in the water change jar.I will throw him some regular sponge from somewhere and he should clip it to fit his back and throw it up there.It was lose on his back a few days ago and i threw it in my tank.I found it in the back and placed it on the rock after ich treatment.

DSCF1526-6.jpg

Here is the same sponge thats been in its spot for a few weeks.I took a little clipping of it when i first got the crab and stuck it in a hole.

DSCF1527-3.jpg

Corals are growing in the direction of the light forming skeletons

Candy canes connecting to the rock.......if this falls out of the hole it is in there is no good way to grab it and try to get back into the hole.

DSCF1523-3.jpg

DSCF1522-3.jpg

Dasiy Polyps sending out tissue connecting to the rock holding the frag in place

DSCF1531-2.jpg

DSCF1530-2.jpg

Baby mushrooms in the sand.

Not disturbing the sandbed,spagetti worm tubes,green hair algae,cheato,houses made by copepods.

DSCF1525-1.jpg

Star polyps are tied onto branch work finaly attaching May 12th photo

DSCF1541.jpg

Zoas connected to rock but mostly in the sandbed

DSCF1542.jpg

Correct placement of coral which had to be discovered.

DSCF1532-2.jpg

Ive already stated that there is no competiton between the differnt species,only within there own.

No posts say all the corals are dying.There are pictures of the ones effected.

Tossing up another tank isnt a option since im not soupposed to have this one in this apartment.Not to mention the cost of setting up another tank.I also think taking the fish out at their ich stage would have stressed the yellow clown gobys since they were in the tank for a reasonable period.There is also the risk of injuring the corals by taking them into the new tank since things are only slightly attached.It was a risk doseing in there and i knew that.Theres also the risk of moving things.Loseing 1 acan colony and 1 mushroom proved to be the cost of saveing the fish which i find acceptable.In time i think the current acans and mushrooms i have will replace them with growth.Since the tanks been running there has been more growth then deadloss......Well not exzactly true.A coral eating crab took out a coral that was a descent size but thats what that crab does in a reef enviroment so i guess thats natural.Plus that flatworm ate some snails.They are both in my water change jar and not in the toliet along with one astepia.

Tank Conditions

Hot glued my airline in place.

DSCF1548-1.jpg

Added Briareum Asbestinum "Purple Corky Gorgonian"

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1546-1.jpg

DSCF1545-2.jpg

2 jar water change after shrimp feedings to corals.

Camo mushroom is attaching to the glass and seems to be recovering.

DSCF1540-2.jpg

Clear sponge on sponge rock has depleted a litttle though it looks fine now.Im not sure when this took place.

Caulepera was showing signs of fadeing.I think it was from the ph swing from large water changes.Remaining caulepra was removed.

Xeina is poping out heads slightly and has a purpleish color to the base.

DSCF1533-1.jpg

DSCF1541-1.jpg

Fish not showing signs of ich.Everything else seems fine.Ricordea inflated.

ParanoidObseshun

The list of things that prevented you from taking things out of the tank doesnt seem to even really make sense. :huh: None of those would affect quickly removing a chunk of rock or the individual corals to catch and treat the fish. If corals are attached to rocks then just remove the whole rock. My tank is swarmed with corals and growth and I have had no problem quickly removing the rock and coral if I need to get a fish out of the tank.

List of a few things you need to spell correctly. AIPTASIA, XENIA, EXACTLY, CAULERPA (spelled it 2 different ways at the bottom, both wrong.)

Builder Anthony

Im not saying doseing for ich is good for your tank.If you can quickly take out the rock and cacth fish it would be your best option.I dont have the time or resources to do so.I added some photos to help clear up why i couldnt just take my rock out.Hope that clears things up a bit.

Builder Anthony

All the fish have ich again out of nowwhere.Yesterday everything was fine i came home at 7:00 today and every fish has around 5 dots except the larger yellow clown that has one behind his flipper.I did have the dose as last time with ich remover.

2 Jar Water change

DSCF1552-1.jpg

DSCF1551-1.jpg

i would still try to catch them and put them in a small $5tank with a cheap power head. and if they die they will be easy to find and take out. Also if your tank has Ich don't put new fish in it for a few months so the parasite dies.

Builder Anthony

I caught one the smaller neon goby.I threw him in the water change jar with one drop of ich remover.

I guess i should go more into this frustrating problem.The larger neon goby was constantly chasen the smaller neon goby.Anytime the larger one would see it it would chase it but the smaller one would get away.It doesnt have any fin damage but it looks like once the fish got caught because a scale was missing on the side.I guess they are either both males or both females.Now that i have it in the water change jar i should be able to identify its gender.I should have done it when i bought them its a real mistake mixing the wrong genders on this species.The male is soupposed to have a pointed something underneath and the female is soupposed to be more round.Maybe the smaller one is stressed out and developed ich.The smaller neon was fadeing its color and wasnt bright i think because he didnt want the other fish to see him.Could be stress too.In the water change jar it is already brighter.

Builder Anthony

Two jar water changes one in the morning and one late at night.

The neon goby in the tank has and smaller yellow clown goby has a few spots.They seem to swell up with water like a tunicate.But the other yellow clown goby seems fine i dont see any ich on him.

Looking into uv sterlizer i should pick one up tommrow.

Added 7 snails three differnt breeds.

Builder Anthony

1 jar water change in the morning and one at night.

Added like 5 drop ich treatment in the morning.

Added a uv sterlizer at 9:00pm.

The small yellow clown had a ich spot on top of his head with a red blood line running towards his eyes in the morning but i dont see it like that anymore.It has about 5 spots on it that look basicly the same as yesterday.Im most concerened about his fish.The spots he has are on top of his body....basiclly in places it cant reach by rock scrapeing.Cant really get a photo of the fish.

The bigger clown doesnt seem to have any.

DSCF1572-1.jpg

The neon in the jar i cant see.....its hideing.

The larger neon in the tank has 3 spots.

DSCF1568-1.jpg

DSCF1557-2.jpg

Xeinas healing good.

DSCF1564-1.jpg

DSCF1563-1.jpg

Ive also noticed my dark green algae forming on the Briareum Asbestinum in a slight tint basicly where the light hits it.Im hopeing the uv sterilizer kills off any algae floating around and spreading.Its important for no algae to form on the thing from what ive read.Its similar to star polyps from what i hear.Its encrusting and rumors that it may be moved into the star polpy family or whatever.Its similar i souppose...........looks like them.