Pod Your Reef

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Thanks sounds like i should some of that though i havent seen it for sale,but i havent really sought it out.Its been very stressful at times tryen to increase the species count for the tanks.I will look to see if i can get some iodine as well....it just blew right past me to think of such a thing.I tend to keep towards high lighting,real good water,and keeping the terriorist pods away from frags.I really like the mini setup i been doing for single polyp species and very small frags.Im going to update my previous posts with pictures which cover all of last week at around noon tommrow.

Here you can see how the coral puffs up to try and reach sunlight.Notice all shaded areas are puffy which could help on placement of this species.

DSCF1866.jpg

Edited by Builder Anthony
Builder Anthony

Top Left Frag Tank

My Zoa breeding method

DSCF1899.jpg

DSCF1874.jpg

DSCF1903.jpg

DSCF1902.jpg

DSCF1900.jpg

DSCF1897.jpg

DSCF1896.jpg

Some wild polyps unknown color healing.Patbacks Frag of blue xeina

DSCF1890.jpg

DSCF1891.jpg

DSCF1889.jpg

DSCF1892.jpg

DSCF1888.jpg

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1887.jpg

DSCF1894.jpg

Lower Frag Tank

DSCF1904.jpg

DSCF1905.jpg

DSCF1906.jpg

Purchased this for 4 bucks might blue clove it.

DSCF1907.jpg

Builder Anthony

picked up two adult starveing yellow clown gobys.very heavy feedings has female eating small amount of regular shrimp.themale ive only seen eat one little something off the glass.

25 percent water change daily with uv sterilizer run at night.unfornate i have to run it with those cerith eggs that went playtonic but there are traces of ich in the system.these two clowns are very malnurished with visable tighting of the stomach to the upper cavity purchased from just pets.

Builder Anthony

Thanks Snowflake Eel,

Ive come upon something intresting the white pom pom xenia has droped a few heads.in the photo below you can see 2 heads resting on a sponge.im thinking that since the xeina cant grab onto anything its droping its heads instead.all xeinas pictured in the photo are from the one on the right.includeing the one way up top.it got there by connecting to the branch and drawing the tissue towards itself

photos added next week

Builder Anthony

Heres a picture of that strain of blue xeina.I have a another one a bit smaller.Really tryen hard to keep this tiny thing going

DSCF1979.jpg

New Additions

DSCF1976.jpg

DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1975.jpg

DSCF1940.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

DSCF1948.jpg

DSCF1969.jpg

DSCF1970.jpg

DSCF1951.jpg

DSCF1966.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

DSCF1953.jpg

Builder Anthony

i paid 40 bucks for a 2x2 of blue xenia and fragged it twice.It grows about the same as regular xeina.

DSCF1899.jpg

i glue 4 ceramic filter cylinders to a square with a single species on top since i uasualy just try to pick up one polyp for the species.after its healed and doing well in tupperware i glue it to the tops of the cylinder this way it will be real easy for me to frag latter.

it helps on space also since i need every spot.i picked up most of the zoas around the same time so i can keep track of growth rates this way to i guess.though some healed at different rates.so far i have 14 species on setups like this.i have 22-24 species but the others ill have to do when i feel its safe.i guess i use it for effiency and its alot cheaper then plugs.

buddythelion
i paid 40 bucks for a 2x2 of blue xenia and fragged it twice.It grows about the same as regular xeina.

DSCF1899.jpg

i glue 4 ceramic filter cylinders to a square with a single species on top since i uasualy just try to pick up one polyp for the species.after its healed and doing well in tupperware i glue it to the tops of the cylinder this way it will be real easy for me to frag latter.

it helps on space also since i need every spot.i picked up most of the zoas around the same time so i can keep track of growth rates this way to i guess.though some healed at different rates.so far i have 14 species on setups like this.i have 22-24 species but the others ill have to do when i feel its safe.i guess i use it for effiency and its alot cheaper then plugs.

Ah, I see. So like sharing space on one plug?

Builder Anthony

haha rasta man....typen on ps3 so i kinda skip some puncuation,im a natural bad speller though.

New Additions

3 new zoas pictures added here fri or sat

Builder Anthony

lost the blue xeina in the tube im unsure why,last two days it was excreting orangeish brown in the tube it did this last time before when it was tryen to attach maybe because i would lay the tube down it was tryen to attach to sides of glass.the slime was a orangeish brown,maybe it was brown slime and i was just able to see it in the tube up against the light better.i dont know why it would form it though since it was attached well.repositioning of polyps to light is the only thing i can come up with or maybe low flow?maybe it needs lots of oxygen.all i know is its very hard to frag.....at least in the portion i got but even in bigger frags be careful

3 zoa frags opened on there new plugs.no problems,clean cuts minimal damage to base mat near stem.1 uncut on fraged branch uncut mat waiting for it to get used to tank since not fully opened,think they are purple hornets....uncut polyps zero damage

Builder Anthony

i just moved a plug of sunny ds from a med flow high light to a low flow low light but they seem to like high flow high light.now this may be because i run a long photo period and algae tends to build up on them,then they close.

yellow clove single poylp seen floating while inflated,pushed it down with my finger and it resurfaced,some green algae bubbles on sourronding tissue.

Builder Anthony

more cerith eggs on glass they may be a day or two old but i dont see any baby ones from the last two.

some baby stomellas and i think real small snail is laying eggs in display.its about 1-3 cm with redish brown stripes on a white shell.

some real small things look like mini shrimp forming mini clouds right above substrate mateing.then some pregant ones shaped like football are on glass but have no legs like the mini shrimp.

orange lobo developing new white ring on inside rim.looks nice

Builder Anthony

well sunny d zoas and mini aussi zoas seem to be picky about salt at 28.sunny d was closed last few days and i thought it was algae buildup even though there is no algae.....anyways they are shoing signs of opening,but the mini aussies actually started melting,they were closed like sunny d but tighter and never opening.i never dealt with melting issues i figure the salt lowered now should help recover the remaining 80 percent.

cerith snail found on top of favite

Builder Anthony

NOTE: Pink candy cane reported bleaching at high led lighting by forum member also realized my blue candy cane bleaching.

Run left side of display on low indirect led light,supplement time to time with 16 watt flouresent

I wanted to stop by and say that I think you're doing a great job. So thoughtful and caring. You know each and every coral in your tank. What's going on. Where it's happening. Who did it.

Your tank is an inspiration I keep coming back to. Keep it up! :happy:

Builder Anthony

Thanks iball1804

Cinamon paly open in night cycle,closed rather quickly when lights fliped on,theres some indirect lighting to the tank.Dont know why i listed it but mind as well.

Some whiteish speck around base of stem but they awalys been there.

It doesnt have any problems in its location and seems to be doing well under led.I would say its care is easy and requirements the same as other palys,but i do feed one or twice a week.It can eat a nice chunk of shrimp.

NOTE: Member reported xeina melting after adding kent carbon but also remember reading a recall on that stuff after member had a sps tank crash.company issued recall.

Builder Anthony

Treated green favia 2 days ago for small areas of cyano with peroxide and water pick.Had good results very little is left but i may do another.

Builder Anthony

Im injured if anyone can someone stop by and do some matinence on my tanks?My left leg is messed up and part of my back.Someone please help me out.I live in appleton wis.my green favite doesnt look so hot,salt creep on tanks,water changes,placement of some new corals,drop all tanks to salinty of 21.arrangement of lights.i dont even really know whats going on with them,i dont even have time to look

at them with legal issues and my health.I miss being on nanoreefs my life has taken a turn into the unknown.

if only you were in NJ, I would surely help you out. I'm sure there is some similar person living close to you though. hopefully they will respond soon!

• 2 weeks later...