Pod Your Reef

29 gallons of awesome

altolamprologus

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
What? I can't send you caulerpa? :unsure:

Several species of caulerpa are illegal in California. People release them into the wild and they become invasive

Haha it's one of the encyclopedias Alto reads in her free time :haha:

IMG_3147.jpg

this%20thread%20is%20useless%20without%20pichers.jpg

Yoshii was just here with a camera so she should be posting new pics sometime soon :)
altolamprologus
I got it down to around 20 :)

You want the FTS with or without the light fixture?

Doesn't matter, whatever looks better. Just be sure to post the right pics in the right threads :D

Alto, my teacher said they were axolotls. She had some blacklight flashlights, so I shined it on one and sure enough... Glowed green! I'll send you some pics shortly if you won't let me post them in here. :P

altolamprologus
Just trying to inspire you! :D

How about a Linespot Flasher?

Honestly I like all flashers. I think I'll buy whatever nicely colored one I come across first, regardless of species, although line spots are quite nice.

Alto, my teacher said they were axolotls. She had some blacklight flashlights, so I shined it on one and sure enough... Glowed green! I'll send you some pics shortly if you won't let me post them in here. :P

PM me :)

IMG_3074.jpg

Peek-a-boo clownfish!

IMG_3033.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp

IMG_3105.jpg

This is why you NEED TO CLEAN YOUR GLASS ALTO

This is the only decent picture of the female mandarin :(

Eh cleaning the glass is overrated. It's prime copepod habitat, that's my excuse!

But I see coralline!

BTW you want these on RA too?

How do you keep your mandarins fat and happy? I see it says you feed cultured copepods on page 1. Do you do this yourself? Can you post some details? I love mandarins and want to own another someday. I haven't had one since my 75G tank 8 years ago! :o And I'm sure I was doing it all wrong back then!

altolamprologus
How do you keep your mandarins fat and happy? I see it says you feed cultured copepods on page 1. Do you do this yourself? Can you post some details? I love mandarins and want to own another someday. I haven't had one since my 75G tank 8 years ago! :o And I'm sure I was doing it all wrong back then!

They both eat several different types of frozen food and I give them a ton of fresh copepods every week. You can learn more about culturing here but basically I just have a dozen 2 liter soda bottles filled with saltwater and pods that I harvest regularly. I give them Tisbe biminiensis, which breed really fast and cling to the rocks where the mandarins can reach them. I also dose live phytoplankton daily which helps the pods in the tank reproduce rapidly.

altolamprologus
Thanks! Where did you get the starters for your pod cultures?

I got them from liveaquaria but they were kind of expensive. If you want a starter culture I can send you some pretty cheap

That would be awesome! What about the tigger pods for a mandarin? I find those at the LFS and have a ton. I feed them to my tank a couple times a week because the clowns love them. If not I might by a starter culture off you and give it a shot! :)

Archived