Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New mobile app (iPhone, iPad, Android) for reef keeping

tiggs

Oh that does clarify it a bit. I like your idea. Free updates for life? Who knows how extensive this app could get. I would just love to see its progression. You have a million dollar idea here my friend. I'd definitely be down for it at $3.99. Now if you would just follow this link you can by MY app up on the store right now for $0.99.

One last thing... If your looking for beta testers.... I'm first in line!

The sponsored ads wouldn't necessarily be for collecting money. I apologize for not explaining this properly. Basically, "Helpful Links and Sponsors" would be in their own section - not scrolling across the screen. We're not looking to make money from sponsors - we're looking to trade a link on our app for advertisement rights on their sites. Let's take nano-reef.com for example. If you notice on the top of your screen, there's a banner ad. The company pays to have that there. In exchange for us including a link to their site on our app, we'd be allowed to advertise (within reason) on their site.

As far as the GUI goes, it will be great so don't worry about that :) We're the top mobile application development company in NJ and already have over 40 apps in the Apple AppStore and Android Market. We debated making a free and lite version of the app, but decided that removing any of the functionality would greatly degrade the apps perception and value. I think we'll be in the $3.99 range since this will be a VERY helpful tool for reef keepers and upgrades will be FREE of charge as we release new versions. Let's face it - Reefing isn't a poor man's hobby, so why skimp on a useful tool :)

Maybe it's just me but I happily pay for quality on the AppStore. Most of my apps are paid apps because I love simple and elegant apps (i.e. no ads) with nice graphics.

Someone mentioned Windows 7 in this thread.... Yeah right, make an app for iPhone (Apple) and base it on Microsoft graphics.... There's no need to comment that any further.

For me there's no significant difference between $3.99 or $5.99 when I buy apps. Most apps for iPhone are free or costs up to $10, which is already very cheap. I mean, even $10 is NOT a lot of money. And you know us reef junkies, we are already very used to spending money on our hobby.

Just try to price it as fair as possible. If it looks and works like a $10 app, then price it at $10. No biggie, people will catch on.

About the name. No idea :) Perhaps, it would be cool to put emphasis on the biological and digital parts. Reefbot? Roboreef? Haha, sorry.

bananahands

Sounds good! But I noticed you left out magnesium tracking. I also liked the idea someone mentioned about using drop down rather than fill in. It would be much faster.

Looking forward to this!

Edit: also missing phosphate tracking. It may be important when we run into algae problems.

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm ultimately hoping/wishing for (probably not your app - but you never know) is for there to be plug in adapter(s) that connect to the iPad so I can use it as a controller like what Neptune has. Things like temp, salinity, etc.

I know most won't go buy an iPad for this, but with the price drops, it's not that far out of reach to use one of these for a controller.

• 11 months later...
Did this ever go anywhere?

Unfortunately, not yet :) We launched fragconnection.com last week (finally), but this one has kind of taken a back seat. We're hoping to get things moving on this one again in the next few months. Thanks for checking back in tho!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I was searching for something like this, and came up with an awesome app which is very similar to this description, so not sure if it is the same app, but in case you want to check it out, just look for "Aquarimate" in app store or android store. their website says its available on both. So far I love the app on my iphone...

Archived