Innovative Marine Aquariums

squirrel's 40g CAD 2.0 - Stuff n Junk

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

Thank you Kat for the Hoffer suggestion, that is going to work way better than a Durso.

I switched my drain design due to space constraints, And decided on a a Hoffer Gurgle Buster drain style per Kats suggestion, so far I really like how compact it is. We will see if the claims of it being relatively safe even in the event of a clog and near silent operation hold true in practice.

8BE23C37-0BF6-408C-B312-E3CE7F43801C.jpg

9EBBE82C-07FE-4FBF-8290-E0D13E174AA0.jpg

2B5A0B60-168E-4A20-87A6-ECF70663DD1E.jpg

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
squirrelieygrrrl

Progress has finally been made. Fans came in on Friday, they went off to my friend James who happens to be an electrictian after I couldn't figure them out. Got them installed and the sump is in for good. Will finish up some wiring on the back and begin plumbing this week.

72310ED6-5176-40D7-9A47-A8F0CB8D62C6.jpg

Back side.

88D8E81A-B3AF-4EF7-88EB-155576D581D4.jpg

Front of the fans installed. Work on the final sump wiring begins.

2DC831C1-A7C4-4A6E-99C2-A24AE3184D6A_1.j

Close up of the fan.

2D41448C-4011-498B-99F8-5AFAA7E4B348.jpg

Sump cabinet is nearing completion.

The fans will be temp controlled by the apex, one is pushing while the other is drawing air. I'm hoping that should convect the air nicely in there if it gets too hot. I also have two smaller 60mm fans I put in to the command center with the same convection happening. Those you can't see except from the back, but they will be running 24-7.

Oh my goodness sg.....that is the sickest sump setup I think ive ever seen.... Incredible job. I would love to have a stand like that for my skimmer.

squirrelieygrrrl

Oh my goodness sg.....that is the sickest sump setup I think ive ever seen.... Incredible job. I would love to have a stand like that for my skimmer.

That means an awful lot coming from you Hype. Thanks! Funny thing about that skimmer stand, the sump came with this useless media basket that just happened to be the exact width of the skimmer compartment. Perfect repurpose there.

squirrelieygrrrl

Those LED fans are crazy cool, I love it.

They are super neat, not led at all but what's called cold cathode, sort of like neon but with less power consumption.

HarryPotter

They are super neat, not led at all but what's called cold cathode, sort of like neon but with less power consumption.

So the fans are to control the temperature of the cabinet, NOT the aquarium?

So you'll have a temperature probe in the cabinet as well?

squirrelieygrrrl

So the fans are to control the temperature of the cabinet, NOT the aquarium?

So you'll have a temperature probe in the cabinet as well?

Sorry I should have been more clear. There are two sets of fans both set up for convecting the air. One set is in the electronics cabinet which will run 24-7 to keep the cabinet and all the electronics cool.

The second set which you see pictured will be controlled by the apex temp probe in the water when the tank gets too hot. This is sufficient here where I live for two reasons 1, it never gets hotter than 80 here and that only happens a few times a year. 2, our home has central air which we have set to 75. So the fans should be more than enough to cool the tank down in the rare event that it actually heats up.

Or so I've rationalized, lol. I never had any real heat problems when this tank was set up previously with an MH fixture over it.

Nice tank !! was this a custom order? I didn't know they made a 40 gallon artisan tank

Nope! Not a custom order but it was one of the first artisan series made, their first run was what they were calling a 40 long and their 39g cube. Though really I believe it's a standard 40b dimension.

squirrelieygrrrl

My buddy James just sent me some shots of the custom ATO reservoir he's making for me. Should be done by tomorrow.

15F2EE6B-0D3B-4CB0-A42B-D5C5286753F5.jpg

6833FEA2-639F-462F-9C7E-2E28CABB65F9.jpg

EC24C27E-5CC7-45C8-AF70-BC07483589B2.jpg

EB797F4B-F402-4B2A-BFDF-3D4C76000DD9.jpg

C61B487C-3540-4957-B63A-234E77D6EEAF.jpg

20BA336B-5C37-48EA-808F-FDB3653A10A1.jpg

B146544A-7A3B-445A-BB67-AE4969D06288.jpg

10E8FC81-4FBA-405A-BB60-8767AD98B113.jpg

You'll have to excuse the quality of the pics, he can build like a pro but his photography skills are still being perfected. (If you've read this James, I still love ya)

In other news I almost finished the plumbing mock up tonight before I ran out of steam, but I should have it all cemented tomorrow and put some pics up of the finished sump.

squirrelieygrrrl

Things are happening and stuff!

B11C54D0-F628-45F3-B372-453020AA43B0.jpg

768C1BDC-0CA1-40CB-BEDE-361E2D629316.jpg

74A8BB44-C2AB-4C66-9B3A-21F89BB3DEC2.jpg

Once this is all finished I'll take shots of everything with the Nikon, for now these will have to do.

1860C9B2-A7E6-43AF-A131-CD0421CB267B.jpg

My poor wife, this has been the state of her living room bordering on a month now.

I think the only thing keeping her at bay is that I bought hardwood flooring to be put in to the living room which should be installed next weekend. It's delaying me from filling the tank but also keeping her from killing me over the tank. The sacrifices we make. :lol:

Every time you update this I get more disatisfied with my own build! :lol: Seriously this build is looking amazing. The side cabinet for the electrical and the cleanliness is probably my favorite feature.

I had to show my wife the picture of the condition of your living room just to say... "See, its not only me."

Very nice build - it's super clean! I was wondering how you like the raceways now that they are installed? Will you be able to get the cords out of them easily when you have to pull equipment out for cleaning?

squirrelieygrrrl

Omg that's one sweet ass setup. I was thinking other day how I wish had sump setup worth looking at. Amazing stuff.

Thanks a bunch! I don't know if you've ever seen the tank called "A reef in the sky", it's been featured a number of times. His sump is so clean, the tank achieves exactly what I've always wanted and definitely a primary 'tankspiration'. I've been planning something similar to his set up since I first saw it back in 09.

wow sg.....it just keeps getting better and better

giphy.gif

Lol thanks Hype! Let's hope the tank turns out as nice as the build!

Every time you update this I get more disatisfied with my own build! :lol: Seriously this build is looking amazing. The side cabinet for the electrical and the cleanliness is probably my favorite feature.

I had to show my wife the picture of the condition of your living room just to say... "See, its not only me."

Aw I think your tank is pretty sweet! It took a full build with the stock cad equipment for me to figure out what to improve on.

I keep saying that spouses of reefers must be patient. Eventually it pays out with an amazing tank for them to admire though. Did you showing my pic help at all? :lol:

I don't think you should even have doors on your tank stand :wub:.

I had seriously considered it, or having smoked plex windows put in the doors.

Very nice build - it's super clean! I was wondering how you like the raceways now that they are installed? Will you be able to get the cords out of them easily when you have to pull equipment out for cleaning?

I rank them somewhere between trying to dig something out of that crevasse inbetween the seat and center console of your car, and trying to fish something out of that crack in the couch. While you can eventually get out what you're trying to find its a pain in the ass. Though it isn't too much of a struggle. Really though I think if I hadn't bought the absolute biggest sump my stand could accommodate it would be perfectly fine. Especially if I had another 1/2" of clearance. In my current set up I think a man would find it impossible, considering the size difference in our hands. They open like a hinged clamshell so running wires through them is pretty easy.

I rank them somewhere between trying to dig something out of that crevasse inbetween the seat and center console of your car, and trying to fish something out of that crack in the couch. While you can eventually get out what you're trying to find its a pain in the ass. Though it isn't too much of a struggle. Really though I think if I hadn't bought the absolute biggest sump my stand could accommodate it would be perfectly fine. Especially if I had another 1/2" of clearance. In my current set up I think a man would find it impossible, considering the size difference in our hands. They open like a hinged clamshell so running wires through them is pretty easy.

Thanks - that's exactly what I was wondering about. I really like the look, so I guess the key is to not overload them with too many cords, and leave enough clearance to be able to easily work with them.

squirrelieygrrrl

Thanks - that's exactly what I was wondering about. I really like the look, so I guess the key is to not overload them with too many cords, and leave enough clearance to be able to easily work with them.

Exactly! They come in a number of sizes, bigger is better IMO, after some trial and error with cutting I found that using a PVC cutter seems to work best, the hacksaw was too messy and I ended up having to spend some time cleaning up the ragged edges. Just make sure you load the end that opens towards the blade otherwise you could crush it.

I had seriously considered it, or having smoked plex windows put in the doors.

Is it too late? Would be cool to see those fans lit up through the smoked plexiglass! Seems a shame to hide that awesomeness :).

Exactly! They come in a number of sizes, bigger is better IMO, after some trial and error with cutting I found that using a PVC cutter seems to work best, the hacksaw was too messy and I ended up having to spend some time cleaning up the ragged edges. Just make sure you load the end that opens towards the blade otherwise you could crush it.

Thanks for the tips!

squirrelieygrrrl

Is it too late? Would be cool to see those fans lit up through the smoked plexiglass! Seems a shame to hide that awesomeness :).

I agree! I asked the wife, she didn't seem amused. Maybe if I bribed her with more hardwood flooring throughout the rest of the house......

Who cares about the tank that sump area deserves TOTM lol :D

Sump of the month? I'll take a win for SOTM!

a2f07f80-19ed-4686-9316-a6968f540c11.jpg

:lol:

Don't spoil that beautiful sump with water and fish poo! :lol:omgomgomg

Stupid wet water and fish poo. Jackin up my swagger.

I think I've found a scape I'm happy with. Here are the results, I plan on adding at least one piece of live rock to the system to seed it so it may change slightly.

74C84E29-5F42-4FE3-B254-597CFB925E23.jpg

E8A1CB19-4071-463F-97FF-1CBA0BF6EF9D.jpg

I'm open to suggestions on aquascaping a tank, it's never been my forte.

Archived