Pod Your Reef

Jay's 5.5 Pico

JayPagi

yo I love those shrooms!

where did you get the new frags?

NAFB... we were in the area this weekend.

you moved to whitby?

Yeah back in October our house finally closed... new builders suck.

I really like this tank..

Thanks I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

Sigh, so simple, so pretty, maybe one day I can set up something like this with a par lamp for my kid... One is enough for now tho lol

Sigh, so simple, so pretty, maybe one day I can set up something like this with a par lamp for my kid... One is enough for now tho lol

Thanks!

lol all the builders are the same ****

mattamy homes?

any boxing day shopping?

Yeah tell me about it; it is nice having a new home though... Senator Homes is the builder.

I picked up a big box of salt from Big Al's for $30 but that's it.... LOL. Did you get anything?

I also picked up my tank from John last weekend it looks awesome and received my rock from (www.eco-reefer.com) it's pretty much scaped and now cycling.

It might be another few weeks before I get the tank set up because were doing some re-decorating at home.

New thread to follow soon...

• 3 weeks later...

No nothing yet I'm still putting the finishing touches on my light fixture and stand. My current tank is moving to the basement tonight and I will be setting up the new tank stand hopefully tonight; I will let the new tank cycle for a bit before transferring what little corals I have into it. I also haven't decided on a scape yet but once I play around with the rock I have I should settle on something I like. The only piece of equipment I need to pick up is a reservoir for my ATO; I purchased a Elos Osmo ATO and I'm hoping it works out.

No nothing yet I'm still putting the finishing touches on my light fixture and stand. My current tank is moving to the basement tonight and I will be setting up the new tank stand hopefully tonight; I will let the new tank cycle for a bit before transferring what little corals I have into it. I also haven't decided on a scape yet but once I play around with the rock I have I should settle on something I like. The only piece of equipment I need to pick up is a reservoir for my ATO; I purchased a Elos Osmo ATO and I'm hoping it works out.

This is all thread worthy material lol photos of the setup

DIY light fixture?

This is all thread worthy material lol photos of the setup

DIY light fixture?

I know I know it's just moving too slow to keep peoples interest plus taking care of a 3 month old baby after work I can barely find time to work on the tank let alone update a thread lol.

Yeah I did another kit from RAPID LED 9xRB, 9xCW and 2 moonlights it should turn out alright. I was a little disappointed when I saw their new black heat sinks after I purchased the standard one... the new ones have a built in slot for a splash guard which is nice.

I know I know it's just moving too slow to keep peoples interest plus taking care of a 3 month old baby after work I can barely find time to work on the tank let alone update a thread lol.

Yeah I did another kit from RAPID LED 9xRB, 9xCW and 2 moonlights it should turn out alright. I was a little disappointed when I saw their new black heat sinks after I purchased the standard one... the new ones have a built in slot for a splash guard which is nice.

I was looking at them today

The black ones look sleek

I'm really a led diy newb why are some of them pre drilled?

can you just glue the leds right to the heatsink?

How large is your heat sink and what driver did you use?

dimmer?

sorry for all the questions I'm just in the middle of researching Im thinking about switching my bulbs to a DIY fixture

I was looking at them today

The black ones look sleek

I'm really a led diy newb why are some of them pre drilled?

can you just glue the leds right to the heatsink?

How large is your heat sink and what driver did you use?

dimmer?

sorry for all the questions I'm just in the middle of researching Im thinking about switching my bulbs to a DIY fixture

Oh no worries at all. Some are drilled so you can screw the LED's down with thermal pads in between the heat sink and LED. You can glue them with the thermal adhesive it's real easy stuff to work with. I purchased the 4.25" x 16" heat sink from RAPID LED. I have two Mean Well ELN-60-48D drivers 1 for blue 1 for white; the moonlights are separate. I also bought there dimming kit from them. I think this is considered old school tech with the LED guru's now but it's simple and it works. RAPID LED is great they send instructions on how to wire everything... also check out MODULAR LED they are in Alberta the prices aren't as good but they sell a slightly different product to soldering required at all.

This will be one of my last posts for this little 5.5... it's been a fun and great learning experience to date.

Making room for my new tank this 5.5 has been relegated to the minors... aka basement.

Poor little guy must be lonely in the laboratory.

6728530857_22090bbcf4_z.jpg

This is new the tank and stand...

6728525425_652afa1204_z.jpg

Thread link to follow.

love it!

deff will be following the new thread

Thanks I appreciate it.

:o Please post an update!

Updates to follow... finished the scape and setting up the pump and heater by the end of the day.

Archived