SaltCritters.com

Jay's 5.5 Pico

JayPagi

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

You might need to add just a little more live rock for the ph.Good air supply would help if you dont have one.Get some fresh air in the room.

any chance of free algae lol? how much for shipping to 07463 NJ?

I don't know If I can ship plants or animals over the border!?

You might need to add just a little more live rock for the ph .Good air supply would help if you don't have one. Get some fresh air in the room.

Like an air stone? I have a lid on the tank that could be a problem; i have opened it up to see if it helps.

Like an air stone? I have a lid on the tank that could be a problem; i have opened it up to see if it helps.

Ahhhh, try removing the lid. Too much CO2 build up. Try to create some nice surface agitation as well. Thats one of the main reasons I went with more flow in my tank. So, you may need to setup a small ATO - no biggie!

I may have to revise my light design.... either cut the glass into a narrow strip to rest the light on or elevate the entire lid and inch or so. I don't want to hang the light as wires and cords is an eye sore.

I need to pick up some frags and other inhabitants soon...

Here's a quick update...

I finally got my pH level back up to around 8.0 after mixing a fresh batch of water and doing a water change. I have also kept the lid off for the last week and a bit which has helped. What it hasn't helped with is evap... wow what a difference; I'm now topping off every 2 days instead of 4! DIY top off coming soon; I already ordered a float switch.

I've been out to two different LFS over the last week and they didn't much to offer so no new additions yet.

I did however get a new timer for my camera and I created a little time lapse... kinda boring but it was fun.

Here it is.

How does one take a time lapse?

Nice vid, i really like the macro algae (the one thats not neomeris), it makes your rock look more natural IMO.

How does one take a time lapse? Nice vid, i really like the macro algae (the one thats not neomeris), it makes your rock look more natural IMO.

There are lots of good tutorials on the web but it's easy you just need a video editor and alot of pics... this video was around 400 pics. A DSLR and tripod are a huge benefit! Neomeris is hard to get rid of... slowly but surely it's going away but I have been picking them off manually. Thanks I love the colors in the tank with all the different macros right now but I need something new.

It was invert and porcelain crab day today.... saw two crabs perched in this anemone at a LFS and couldn't help myself. I picked up a mini carpet anemone today its pinkish with blue dots on the tips. Also got two porcelain crabs; on introduction one fled the anemone and is in hiding. Hopefully he finds his buddy shortly.

Here are some recent pictures...

5673608346_f3a4b2bbb2_z.jpg

5673706828_35e463a910_z.jpg

5673138089_cf1483c526_z.jpg

is that the difficult to keep mini carpet anemone that grows a few feet? or is it more like a maxi mini carpet nem?

is that the difficult to keep mini carpet anemone that grows a few feet? or is it more like a maxi mini carpet nem?

eeek.... I guess this may be going back.

research it first, I dont want want to scare you away from it just because of rumors :P

I have a topic going in the corals forum to try and identify this guy but from what I have looked at online... it may have to go back. It's too bad the porcelain crabs are living the dream life in that thing.

awesome porcelain crabs! just get them a maxi-mini if it doesn't work out!

Thanks... saw yours and had to have my own. I couldn't believe how small they were!

I'm gonna give the anemone the old college try but if things start to go south its coming out. I did manage to feed it tonight and it was so cool to watch. The little crabs did not want to get off it and were even stealing some of the brine shrimp.

naturalwonders

Oh la la, if you were closer, I would pay you to make me a tank like this. I'm not good with this DIY thing. I want a tank exactly the same for my macroalgae set up. -_-

Oh la la, if you were closer, I would pay you to make me a tank like this. I'm not good with this DIY thing. I want a tank exactly the same for my macroalgae set up. -_-

Nothing to it really just take some time to gather the materials and work slowly; there is enough info on this website to make your own.

Drift Monkey
Thanks... saw yours and had to have my own. I couldn't believe how small they were!

I'm gonna give the anemone the old college try but if things start to go south its coming out. I did manage to feed it tonight and it was so cool to watch. The little crabs did not want to get off it and were even stealing some of the brine shrimp.

hahaha, awesome! I think you'll enjoy them as much as I do, they're pretty entertaining! B)

I also recommend that you feed it PE mysis or any type of frozen mysis you can get. Its supposed to be more nutritious than brine.

I also recommend that you feed it PE mysis or any type of frozen mysis you can get. Its supposed to be more nutritious than brine.

Yeah I read that too but the closest LFS didn't have any mysis. I will pick some up on the next trip to the good store.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could cause the amount of macro algae in my tank?

I'm seeing alot of blooms of this species..

5641695415_43775ee5db_z.jpg

It's not a bad looking plant but it really takes root into the rock as is becoming harder to remove.

My nitrates every week are usually less than 5ppm the highest tested was 10ppm.

Other than this plant nothing else is out of control... no more GHA.

Archived