Pod Your Reef

Jay's 5.5 Pico

JayPagi

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice, I like it! Do you have your light setup for the side of your fuge?

No light yet... I have thought of adding one but I really don't want anything sticking out from the side of the tank.

Quick Update - 3-1/2 weeks in...

My tank is getting really hairy... lots of GHA. Over the last 3 days small strands have reached almost 2 inches and its growing from the sand, rock and whatever it sticks too. I have shortened my lighting period to help kill it off but I hope the rest of the cycle does the job. I'm going to make a run to the LFS soon to try and find some chaeto and also to purchase a better test kit.

Being patient.

Good idea about the chaeto, also increased flow will help too. Have you been performing water changes as well?

Not while the tank has been cycling... should i be?

Not while the tank has been cycling... should i be?

If it hasnt finished cycling, then I would leave it alone. How long has it been cycling? What are your parameters?

If it hasnt finished cycling, then I would leave it alone. How long has it been cycling? What are your parameters?

Week 4

So I just ran my parameters and they were...

Salinity: 1.024

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: less than 5 ppm

Things seem to be on track but being as this is my first SW tank I'm kind of lost. I will give it another few days then check the parameters again to make sure everything is still ok.

Any update on your cycle? Did you document each day and watch the rise and fall of both Ammonia and Nitrite? Looks to me like it is about finished. I would throw in a few snails and possibly a hermit crab. Let the fun begin!

During the cycle, try to keep the lights to be <3 hrs. You won't have any die off because of less light, and you'll save yourself alot of trouble from algae blooms.

But sweet tank and light! Looking forward to what you're going to do with it.

Any update on your cycle? Did you document each day and watch the rise and fall of both Ammonia and Nitrite?

Not nearly enough I should have been more frequent with my testing; something I didn't realize was so crucial. Its my first SW and cycle so I'll excuse my mistake ONCE but I now understand the importance of it.

I would throw in a few snails and possibly a hermit crab. Let the fun begin!

I already added a couple of small blue legs and they are doing a reasonable job... I will pick up a few more critters this weekend.

During the cycle, try to keep the lights to be <3 hrs. You won't have any die off because of less light, and you'll save yourself alot of trouble from algae blooms.

Mixed opinions on this forum had be leaving them on for too long and now I have some blooms to deal with but some nice macro has grown as a result aswell.

But sweet tank and light! Looking forward to what you're going to do with it.

Thanks I appreciate the compliments.

Week 5

I tested the water again today and things are looking great. I also went to the LFS and added 4 astrea snails. I'm still going to keep my lights on for a limited period of 4 hours until the GHA is under control.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to rid of the GHA bloom after my cycle?

I now have 2 x blue hermits and 4 x astrea in my 5.5.

It's tough to visit the LFS and not want a bigger tank... when we eventually move into our house in August I think I will upgrade to something a bit bigger but not too big.

Week 5

I tested the water again today and things are looking great. I also went to the LFS and added 4 astrea snails. I'm still going to keep my lights on for a limited period of 4 hours until the GHA is under control.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to rid of the GHA bloom after my cycle?

I now have 2 x blue hermits and 4 x astrea in my 5.5.

It's tough to visit the LFS and not want a bigger tank... when we eventually move into our house in August I think I will upgrade to something a bit bigger but not too big.

Just keep up with your weekly water changes, good flow and less photo period should get things under control. Try and use a toothbrush and scrub off as much as you can before a water change. What percent WC are you going to shoot for, and how frequent? I would say your cycle is pretty much complete. Mine was less than 4 weeks, but I seeded LR and water from my bigger tank. The GHA is feeding off your nitrates. Are you using ro/di water?

As far as the lights, I never cut back my photo period during my cycle, I just let things run their course. But, to each his own. Stock this baby up and let it grow out. I have a 34 gallon tank as well, but I find my 5.5 more enjoyable! Keep in mind, the bigger the tank the bigger the $$$.

Just keep up with your weekly water changes, good flow and less photo period should get things under control.

I have reduced it to only 4 hours and that has helped alot.

Try and use a toothbrush and scrub off as much as you can before a water change. What percent WC are you going to shoot for, and how frequent?

I scrub as much as possible and I have been hand picking the larger strands of GHA that the hermits won't touch. Planning to do a 1.5 gal change every Monday (do you suggest anything else?); I just did my first one last week and the nitrates were still low but all other parameters were zero.

I would say your cycle is pretty much complete. Mine was less than 4 weeks, but I seeded LR and water from my bigger tank. The GHA is feeding off your nitrates. Are you using ro/di water?

Yeah I think it's over aswell but I'm still going to take it slow and feel things out. I am I'm currently getting my water from a RO/DI machine at a grocery store. I should probably test it to make sure its actually good.

Keep in mind, the bigger the tank the bigger the $$$.

Oh for sure... I don't think I will go as big as 34 gallon but a tank maybe 2 or 3 times this size would be nice. A taller frame-less tank would be awesome.

Cool tank JayPagi!

Thanks!

Yeah, I would definitely check on that water from the grocery store. Its totally hit or miss whether or not they actually keep up with their filters? 1.5 gallons per week should be plenty, thats 27%! Thats exactly what I do each week as well. Check out BRS, they have some fairly good ro/di filters for what I think is a reasonable price. It eventually pays for itself ;) Right now you dont use much water, but if you go bigger in the future its something to think about.

Bulk Reef Supply

That light fixture is sweet!

I would definitely test the RO/DI water from the store. You might be better off, depending on price, buying distilled water. I made the switch from RO/DI to distilled and won't look back. Granted, on larger tanks it doesn't make sense.

Check out BRS, they have some fairly good ro/di filters for what I think is a reasonable price

I think I may eventually buy a system for my new home but until the end of this year I will keep buying my water.

I made the switch from RO/DI to distilled and won't look back. Granted, on larger tanks it doesn't make sense.

I was under the impression that RO/DI was the best to use... you use straight distilled water?

I appreciate the help!

I've used Wal-Mart distilled in the past and had no qualms with it...

Is that from a dispensing machine or bottled water? I'm not sure if Walmart Canada offers that service but I will look into it.

But to be honest the GHA seems to be dying off or eaten by the hermits so I will give it some more time before I make any changes. I'm currently at 6 weeks.

I think I may eventually buy a system for my new home but until the end of this year I will keep buying my water.

I was under the impression that RO/DI was the best to use... you use straight distilled water?

I appreciate the help!

Straight distilled. I just purchase it in gallon jugs. RO/DI is the best to use, if your getting a 0 TDI reading. However, straight distilled is just as good. I've measured the distilled water I use and it's always 0 or 1 ppm TDI.

Drift Monkey
Is that from a dispensing machine or bottled water? I'm not sure if Walmart Canada offers that service but I will look into it.

But to be honest the GHA seems to be dying off or eaten by the hermits so I will give it some more time before I make any changes. I'm currently at 6 weeks.

Bottled in the gallon jugs.

I did see some 1 gal jugs of distilled at the grocery yesterday for a $2. Do you guys recommend this even if my RO is clean? I pay $4 for 5gal of RO.

Drift Monkey
I did see some 1 gal jugs of distilled at the grocery yesterday for a $2. Do you guys recommend this even if my RO is clean? I pay $4 for 5gal of RO.

If your RO is clean just use that!

So quick update...

I've had some low pH problems running around 7.9 kinda concerned. I'll keep working to try and get it back up but some input and discussion may help.

My algae problem seems to be diminishing; alot of the GHA is disappearing but I do have some Halimeda, Neomeris and other leafy types growing up from quite a few different spots (Is Halimeda a sign of high calcium? Which I read can reduce pH?). I have managed to remove most of the Neomeris and I will continue to pick off some of the leafy species. Here are a couple of pics of some macro algae growing on my rocks; can anyone identify these species?

5641695415_43775ee5db_z.jpg

5641693889_030f14ab18_z.jpg

Just purchased a macro reversing ring for my D90 and I'm trying it out with the 50mm lens I have... kinda difficult to get things in focus but I will keep working at it. I hope to eventually purchase a macro lens but for the time being this will have to do.

Archived