ReefCleaners.org

Leftyfish BC29 updated 4.14.11

Leftyfish

Leftyfish rimless BC29 FTS 4.13.11:

IMG_6284web.jpg

tank0046.jpg

Equipment:

Aqualife 115 protein skimmer in chamber 1 modified air intake

InTank/StevieT media basket (floss, purigen, chemipure elite) and fuge basket (chaeto and jbj nano glo led fuge light mounted on back of tank) in chamber 2

Maxijet1200, topfin 150 watt heater in chamber 3

Koralia Nano 425 pump

Current Nova Pro 20" T5HO

Pets:

Fire shrimp

Randall's Pistol Shrimp/Candy Cane

3 emerald crabs (when the bubble algae is under control, I will probably take 2 back to lfs)

2 False Percula Clowns

1 Wheeler's Shrimp Goby

Snails: 1 turbo, 5 Nassarius, 3 Astraea, 1 fighting conch (he's awesome)

Maxima Clam

Uncountable number of feather dusters

Corals:

Hammer LPS

Zoas: LA Lakers, Firecracker Red, maryjanes, blue

Green Candy Cane LPS

Green Striped Mushroom

L. Tyree Idaho Grape Monti

Q. Humilis (thick-branched) Acropora

Finger Leather babies

Pulsing Pink Xenia

kenya frags

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

ORA Bird of Paradise Birdnest

Purple Montipora Digitata

Yellow Polyps

Pests:

Majano

Aiptasia

What kind of angel is that? Is the tank large enough?

osric

PS oops didn't read enough...whatever it is I'd bet your tank is way too small.

What kind of angel is that? Is the tank large enough?

osric

PS oops didn't read enough...whatever it is I'd bet your tank is way too small.

OH NO! That's what I was thinking, wonder why he came with the tank, I think the guy has a bigger tank. I will have to call LFS and see if they would take him. Do you think they would trade for another fish?

Yea he is going to need a bigger tank, and im sure your local fish store would accept a trade or atleast store credit. But the tank looks nice all u need now is some coral!

Yea he is going to need a bigger tank, and im sure your local fish store would accept a trade or atleast store credit. But the tank looks nice all u need now is some coral!

Thanks, I did get a hammer, I put it down by the sand, not sure if that is best, it seems the most out of the way of the water flow. Now to call the LFS. I think the angel and clowns had ich when I got them, they had white little bumps/flecks on them. I got a red fire shrimp and he and the angel have been best friends, and I mixed garlic in with the food. Everyone is clear now.

Is there a good starter coral that is orange or yellow?

Calling LFS tomorrow to see if they will take the angelfish in trade for anything. Mr. Inspector, the orange spotted goby is no where to be found I have a cover on the tank so he didn't jump out. Maybe tomorrow he will make an appearance? We searched all over the tank for him, usual hiding places, etc. Perhaps the bristle worms took their revenge, but he didn't appear ill or anything yesterday.

Found a local frag swap in April, maybe I will find some coral there!

I am trying to get used to the water (have the hydrometer in the tank to read it multiple times a day) and how the water changes work, basically trying to make sure I am doing this all right! Levels are testing good, skimmer kicked in today and is producing a good foam with some green/dark color at the top of the skimmer cup.

If you look, thanks, any advice is welcome. Now to search for more information...

I need some advice on how long to keep the main tank without any fish, I read 2 weeks to 2 months. The water is testing fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, calcium 500, salinity is 1.023-1.025 (hydrometer).

I happen to work at a Petco's aquatic department and we have very poor medication options. People were using them incorrectly and killing their fish and complaining. What we usually have in our stores isnt very strong because of this and our selection became greatly reduced. I'd say double check the reviews on the product you purchased (If you bought coppersafe take the clown out. They are sensitive to copper!). If any of your fish look relatively still halthy (fins up, alert, active, and eating) i'd try a freashwater dip. Its easier on them than some chemicals. Just DO NOT keep them in for more than 4 min tops.

I'd keep the tank empty for a month minimum if you want to guarentee that the ich/velvet is dead. Judging by the description, it sounds like they have marine velvet, which I have seen fish bounce back from.

I happen to work at a Petco's aquatic department and we have very poor medication options. People were using them incorrectly and killing their fish and complaining. What we usually have in our stores isnt very strong because of this and our selection became greatly reduced. I'd say double check the reviews on the product you purchased (If you bought coppersafe take the clown out. They are sensitive to copper!). If any of your fish look relatively still halthy (fins up, alert, active, and eating) i'd try a freashwater dip. Its easier on them than some chemicals. Just DO NOT keep them in for more than 4 min tops.

I'd keep the tank empty for a month minimum if you want to guarentee that the ich/velvet is dead. Judging by the description, it sounds like they have marine velvet, which I have seen fish bounce back from.

Thanks, they gave us coppersafe and maracyn-oxy. I was hoping for more of a selection, but I guess that was all there was. The female clown is not doing so well. I will move her to the other hopsital tank tomorrow again if she is still with us. So upset, I had ich in a tank 15 years ago and haven't seen it since, this is so frustrating as it is easy to prevent by doing a quarantine tank and just taking good care of the water, water changes. I will have some time to figure out what corals to add to the tank while I'm waiting for the ich to die off.

The female clown is not doing so well. I will move her to the other hopsital tank tomorrow again if she is still with us.

Coppersafe itself can kill a clown. I'd recomend removing her ASAP. I lost a clown to it before I knew about their sensitivity to copper. If your worried about stresssing her out you can try to slowly acclimate her to the water in the other hospital tank (like drip acclimation or slowly adding water from the other tank into a container with her in it and the water she is use to.).

Coppersafe itself can kill a clown. I'd recomend removing her ASAP. I lost a clown to it before I knew about their sensitivity to copper. If your worried about stresssing her out you can try to slowly acclimate her to the water in the other hospital tank (like drip acclimation or slowly adding water from the other tank into a container with her in it and the water she is use to.).

I moved her into a no meds tank, dark and covered to help reduce her stress. Checked on her a little bit ago and she is swimming around more. We'll see in the morning. Started water for another tank with no meds for this weekend if she is still with us.

Thanks for the help and advice. I have been mixing the food in garlic since Tuesday. It didn't help the male, but he was so covered it was too late for anything.

glad to hear all is working out. Also, you might want to post questions and pics of sick fish on here for suggetsions before going to a petco. if you have ich in your tank then I would say have the fish qt for 6 weeks to be safe. tanks looking good though

glad to hear all is working out. Also, you might want to post questions and pics of sick fish on here for suggetsions before going to a petco. if you have ich in your tank then I would say have the fish qt for 6 weeks to be safe. tanks looking good though

Thanks, will do. I returned the coppersafe and the man read the container to me saying it was for saltwater fish. I'm going to lower the salinity and go from there. She is looking great though. After losing the other fish it feel so good to have her looking better.

I do need help with my chambers in the back. The previous owner had lots of sponge like material in the middle chamber and two things of carbon. That is it. I added chemipure on the bottom, put one of the sponge things over that then a bag with floss and a small bag of purigen and carbon. Then all of the sponge stuff on top of that.

I dont see anywhere on here that anyone packs their chambers with this sponge. Can anyone suggest with what I gave a good setup for chamber two.

Heater and stock pump in 3, aquatic life 115 skimmer in 1.

Thanks!

Coppersafe can be used for saltwater fish but some are sensitive to copper- thus why they have tests to see if copper is present in your tank water (even having copper pipes is hazardous). Keeping some on hand isnt a bad thing, you just have to know what fish cant handle the medication.

If you are in an area with few LFS I'd say at least test the people at Petcos (but I would try this site first.). I sometimes tell my customers to only go to certain stores in our district cause some aquatics people have no idea what they are talking about. Pretend that you dont know what you do, test their knowledge before you ask your real questions, you know?

Coppersafe can be used for saltwater fish but some are sensitive to copper- thus why they have tests to see if copper is present in your tank water (even having copper pipes is hazardous). Keeping some on hand isnt a bad thing, you just have to know what fish cant handle the medication.

If you are in an area with few LFS I'd say at least test the people at Petcos (but I would try this site first.). I sometimes tell my customers to only go to certain stores in our district cause some aquatics people have no idea what they are talking about. Pretend that you dont know what you do, test their knowledge before you ask your real questions, you know?

Will do the testing of the staff from now on. She is eating! She also has her coloring back and is swimming around her hospital tank. I added a piece of live rock in there to help filter, so I will do water changes and try to keep her in here for 8 weeks. I will have to watch it very closely though, as I was not prepared for any of this and it is not cycled. I'm hoping the rock will help with that.

Now fishless and having a diatom out break in my tank?

I ordered the mediabaskets.com bc29 basket, fuge basket, jbj led fuge light and the maxijet 1200. Now for some corals to get some color in my invertebrate tank. I will get some clowns to have in QT while I wait for ich to die off.

Noticed little Copepods all over the glass towards the sand! How exciting, something new!

Just a few of my copepod family...

IMG_6079-pods.jpg

my aqualife 115 skimmer (air intake mod) with foam...I had to turn it down once the air tubing mod worked, now there is more foam less liquid than this picture.

DSCN1146skimmer.jpg

Waiting on mediabaskets and too afraid to buy fish, maybe more snails and a emerald crab.

very nice tank! LOVE the rimless, its soo sexy!

damn...you make me want to take the rim off mine...way too late for that now though :P

very nice tank! LOVE the rimless, its soo sexy!

damn...you make me want to take the rim off mine...way too late for that now though :P

:D Thanks! I got it off Craig's list from someone who researched on here how to take the rim off, so he promissed it was done right, fingers crossed, no problems yet. Except the tank crashing and all fish dying. Now have quarantine tank ready and a goby and shrimp ordered to pick up tomorrow.

Wish me luck, I'm scared. They came from the ocean just for me to raise them and I hope I don't kill them, so much responsibility.

I'll check out your tank thread now...

Went to pick up my special order orange spotted goby and pistol shrimp, and was told the goby jumped out of the tank over night :( So I got 2 tank raised ocellaris clowns and 2 chromis. Everyone is acclimated and in the QT. Hoping they all settle in nicely and remain alive and disease free.

There is a frag swap in a few weeks in my area so I will go to that for some corals. Need some color in the tank!

Update:

Clowns are doing great (tank raised), Chromis are stressing a bit. I'm keeping them pretty dark and trying to feed a few times a day. I then remove the food with a turkey baster. The Chromis have yet to eat. I am hoping they start feeling less stressed soon, poor things.

My MT is empty besides my hammer, which I blew with a turkey baster today and the tops/polyps fell off from somewhere inside it. It is happy and extened but I'm not sure what happened there? The blood red shrimp is happy and content and all of the snails are happy and alive.

I have more feather dusters, feather babies than I can count. They just keep appearing in the rock.

Chromis never ate and died after a week. It was sad watching them starve, now I know, make them show me they are eating, buy from a good source. So much to learn.

The tank raised clowns are doing great, they are getting used to the QT and eating like pigs. I ordered some coral on ebay and did a local pickup as the place tidalgardens.com is just 10 minutes away from me. What a greenhouse! They will also be at the frag swap in Ohio in April. I picked up a candy cane coral as well while I was there, how could I not. I'm addicted.

I got LA Lakers zoanthid, FIrecracker red zoanthid and a green stripe mushroom. Pics to follow when they are happy and open. Not a lakers fan, just liked the colors.

• 2 weeks later...

So after having the tank fishless for four weeks after it crashed, I added the Wheeler's Goby and the two clowns. All did well in the QT and made a good transition. It took the Goby and shrimp overnight to find each other and they have quite a large home established in the tank. The Goby is eating very well, a mixture of frozen foods. I don't know if he will eat pellets (the clowns gobble them up, but they are tank raised) but he can have all the frozen food he wants. It actually goes along way when I cut it up and thaw it.

I hope now that the tank is officially three months old everything will go smoothly from now on. I will be getting a bunch of coral frags at the frag swap on Saturday.

The emerald crabs made easy work of the bubble algae and the peppermint shrimp may or may not be eating the aiptasia (still there, but may be too large for the shrimp to eat).

I rescaped a little bit and am ready to glue the frags after acclimating them. I need to get dip stuff though, hopefully can find some locally. Red, the fire shrimp seems to like the new scaping, I've not seen him this much in the month that I have had him!

I got a bunch of coral at the C-Sea frag swap today! So excited! I think I may have killed the pink pulsating xenia though, we'll see, it's pretty mad at me. Everything else is dipped, temp acclimated and looking okay. I also got a clam, it is very healthy responds quick to light, etc.

Archived