inTank Media Baskets

HELP: Rapid Breathing clownfish

Cwazy Clown

Cwazy Clown

So I've had this snowflake clown for 9 months now in my 8g cube and it was doing fine up until 2 days ago when I added 4x sps 2xchalices.

Then it decided that it wanted to breath really fast.

All my params are correct,

ph=8.0

amm=0

no2=0

no3=0

po4=0.02

ca=450

kh=10.5

mg=1350

sg=1.032

My salt is fairly high, but its always been up there....

I dont know whats going on, if I lose another one of these clowns, I'm going to be so pissed. Its still eating and doing everything, its just breathing hard, there are also no visible markings on him.

Magiksurfman

don't have an answer as to what is causing your clown to breath heavily but it might not be a bad idea to run carbon in case some of your corals release toxins and it is a small amount of water .... im not sure if there is anything out there that will let you test for this type of event but id do a partial water change and run carbon untill i figured out the cause or a better solution id hate to lose a snowflake if i owned one, much less two.

I would lower your sg level to around 1.025. I had a similar issue with my clown fish, it was breathing heavy and swimming up to the surface and getting air. My sg was a little higher than that though, I had left on vacation and my drip ato clogged up on me. Although your sg levels have been like that for awhile it might be doing a number on that fish. Hope everything works out for you.

Cwazy Clown

Magik: I actually ripped a zoa in half while I was introducing the new frags, so that could have caused a toxin spike, but I've been running carbon the past 40 hours or so.. today is now day 3 of beavy breathing.

10g: I'm wondering if it is the salt, but I am currently lowering my salinity .001 per day.

kweli: you're right, I could have, but the fish is still being normal... hopefully it isnt a parasite, the tanks that the frags came from all have healthy clowns.

• 4 weeks later...
Magiksurfman

hows your clown doing? my bad i should've looked at your salinity its up there 1.026 sg is what i test from the nsw i get and +1 on high temps when high it oxygen levels drop. since your clowns were in there already acclimatized i dont think your clowns would all of a sudden do this unless of course you haven't been keeping an eye on your evap. with such high sg its risky. i was thinking you might've rushed acclimation of your new corals they might've got angry, how are they doing? i know i've rushed acclimation before

Archived