Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, hopefully I just had bad luck!!!!!!!!

The things I definitely lost were the nass snails, the limpets, I think one cowrie, and 1 hairy chiton was DOA. The trochus are great, I think 1 cowrie is still great (alive last night). My ceriths are fine. I can't remember all that I ordered, but I've found some empty shells of things....at least the other critters got a meal out of it ;)

I'll be anxious to see how your order turns out.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701

I'll be sure to let you know. I have two (fairly small) orders coming in tomorrow, one from ReefCleaners and one from SeaLifeInc.

I <3 you :)

Don't be too sure there big daddy! Didn't you say you are 52? Can boys conceive at 12? :lol: My gosh, I hope not...I HAVE a 12 year old!!!!!

Actually, I'm 55, I think? So it is possible. Kinda reminds me of the first time I had sex, I was so scared!!!!!

since I was all alone.

surgicalsense
Actually, I'm 55, I think? So it is possible. Kinda reminds me of the first time I had sex, I was so scared!!!!!

since I was all alone.

It is like counting the rings on a tree stump :P

surgicalsense
I don't get it? But I'm sure it is some sort of snide remark about old men.

To determine the age of a tree, the ringlets are counted. So yes, I was being a smartass regarding the ol'men remark ;) I couldn't help, it was there for the taking.

I've heard you have to make sure the limpets are right side up and watch them in a low flow area as they are easy food until they attach to the rock....

IDK I wanted limpets and a Chiton from him, I live in FL so I don't see the shipping being an issue really though.

Sucks, did you let him know?

I'm sorry to hear about your Reef-Cleaners order. That's concerning since I'm about to order from him again in a couple weeks since the 30 gallon will need a CUC. I hope it was just a bad batch or something with the specialty items. Did you tell him what happened? Maybe you can get some things replaced.

This is for msscha....another "faces in nature" :)

You know...that would make a great subject for POTM!!!!

thatface.jpg

I don't get it? But I'm sure it is some sort of snide remark about old men.

We only tease the ones we love, pops :)

Randi and Felicia. I didn't let him know. I probably should have, but it wasn't worth the hassle to me. I just won't buy those things again. I love his regular CUC...they do great for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the other things from him.

My CUC from them is doing great. They are all active at night though

I have much better luck with the priority mail items than the express mail items. Express mail is the more sensitive creatures.

I'll be sure to let you know. I have two (fairly small) orders coming in tomorrow, one from ReefCleaners and one from SeaLifeInc.

Oh...sealife :) Did you tell me what you ordered from them? Oh yes...the tequila ordering night, right???? :lol:

nevermore1701

thatface.jpg

Randi and Felicia. I didn't let him know. I probably should have, but it wasn't worth the hassle to me. I just won't buy those things again. I love his regular CUC...they do great for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the other things from him.

I have much better luck with the priority mail items than the express mail items. Express mail is the more sensitive creatures.

Oh...sealife :) Did you tell me what you ordered from them? Oh yes...the tequila ordering night, right???? :lol:

I don't exactly remember what I got, and yes, it's the tequila's fault -_-

I think I got a blue zoa frag, a little ric frag of some sort, 2 hairy nano stars... and maybe a nano urchin? Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

You can still call me "daddy" lol

As far as ordering on line, I like those that deliver overnight, it's stressful for the coralz and the reciever.

I don't exactly remember what I got, and yes, it's the tequila's fault -_-

I think I got a blue zoa frag, a little ric frag of some sort, 2 hairy nano stars... and maybe a nano urchin? Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

That sounds familiar. Won't it be fun to see what you actually get???? Fun stuff :)

You can still call me "daddy" lol

As far as ordering on line, I like those that deliver overnight, it's stressful for the coralz and the reciever.

I like "daddy" better too :)

Last night, before bed, I peeked in the tank and found my clown and one cleaner shrimp going bananas. Something spawned in the tank, and they were making a nice meal out of it. It wasn't my pom pom crab because she still had her red belly. I'm guessing it was either snails or possibly the starfish. I really need to read up on how starfish reproduce.

Anyways...it was a pretty cool sight. I tried to see what the spawn looked like, but it wasn't easy to make it out. Just looked like tiny balls floating around.

I did my water change with the distilled water yesterday. I'm going to be pruning as much of the HA as I can get out. I don't want the dying HA to fuel more growth. I'm so excited to see how this will turn out :)

I did my water change with the distilled water yesterday. I'm going to be pruning as much of the HA as I can get out. I don't want the dying HA to fuel more growth. I'm so excited to see how this will turn out :)

I love spawing! LOL!

What water were you using before the distilled?

I think you will get a total control on the matter and rid your tank of it.

I sure hope so!!!! Unfortunately it's not just HA, but also bryopsis. Not sure how easy it will be to totally eradicate it. I'm up for the challenge though :)

I love spawing! LOL!

What water were you using before the distilled?

Me too!!!! :lol:

I was getting it at a filling station outside the market. I thought it would be ok since it had low TDS...like always between 6 and 8. I think it's probably ok, but not if you are fighting an algae battle. It tested positive for nitrates (about 10 on the scale). I've now switched to distilled at 0 TDS.

I sure hope so!!!! Unfortunately it's not just HA, but also bryopsis. Not sure how easy it will be to totally eradicate it. I'm up for the challenge though :)

Me too!!!! :lol:

I was getting it at a filling station outside the market. I thought it would be ok since it had low TDS...like always between 6 and 8. I think it's probably ok, but not if you are fighting an algae battle. It tested positive for nitrates (about 10 on the scale). I've now switched to distilled at 0 TDS.

Awesome! Those machines suck! I can guarantee that using the distilled will help your battle. If you have ever seen a ro unit make water, its very slow... no way those things filter the water good enough... I tested the water from the 1 near me and it was horrible!

Good Luck Gena =)

Great shot! It's such a goofy, happy picture :).

Thanks, guys!!!!!

So I finally looked it up and found out that starfish are free spawners. Both male and female release their "parts" at the same time in hopes that some eggs will fertilize in the water column. I have a feeling this is what I saw last night :)

I have a couple of shots of my freshwater tank to share.....

fw1-19-12.jpg

fw1-19-12no2.jpg

I tried to get my guppies today, but he didn't get any. He's going to get me a purple trio, hopefully next week.

Purple trio ... oh I can't wait.

I know!!!!! I can't wait either. I'm pretty certain this tank is ready for it's first inhabitants (besides plants and snails)!

Very pretty little planted tank you have there! Are you using anything special to feed the plants?

Thanks! I'm using Flourish excel and Flourish comprehensive supplement. I haven't done a water change on this yet. Everything is thriving so far.

Archived