Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Now I'm wondering if I should just put a new bag of CPE back in. Darn cyano. It's always something!

It's only in the lower front left hand corner of the tank...right under my new ricordeas. I'm sure it will travel though. Any suggestions for cyano? I hate these cycles.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701
Now I'm wondering if I should just put a new bag of CPE back in. Darn cyano. It's always something!

It's only in the lower front left hand corner of the tank...right under my new ricordeas. I'm sure it will travel though. Any suggestions for cyano? I hate these cycles.

I had a little bit of cyano come back after I beat down the big bloom, I just sucked out all I could with the turkey baster, didn't feed and did daily water changes for 4-5 days. Hasn't been back since.

I had a little bit of cyano come back after I beat down the big bloom, I just sucked out all I could with the turkey baster, didn't feed and did daily water changes for 4-5 days. Hasn't been back since.

That's encouraging. How big of WC's did you do per day?

nevermore1701
That's encouraging. How big of WC's did you do per day?

I think I was doing 2-2.5g a day. My tank is on the end table of my couch, so whenever I'm home I'm usually a whole 3 feet from it, so I just kept the turkey baster and a bowl next to it and went to town whenever I saw even the tiniest particle of cyano floating around. I think the mechanical removal helped get it out of the tank and keep from spreading. Oh, I also ran the lights 3-4 hours a day instead of the usual 10, and changed the filter floss a couple of times a day. I did NOT want to have to battle another big outbreak!

hmmm - did something die? you got a mp10 right? turn your flow up a lil bit

If so, it would be a snail. I haven't seen one of my pink chestnut snails for about a week! Plus all those snails I was sent from reef cleaners...surely a few have died! That's probably it.

I can't turn the flow up...my rics will get mad!

I did NOT want to have to battle another big outbreak!

What was the first battle like? In this tank?

the rics will be alight haha, mine are mad, theyre still getting used to theyre new spot. but really, if its on your sand turn your sand over a little bit and turn your flow up just 1 notch to see if it helps

I tried sucking it out the other day with my water change. It mostly just turned the sand over, as you suggested. I may have to try the turkey baster. The cyano was too heavy to go all the way up and out through the siphon hose.

Bleh I get a few spots right in the back right corner under the skimmer pump. Seems there isn't that much flow there but getting my sump up will help with that as I will have better random flow.

My siphon hose is 1/2" diameter so I have no issues with getting it out when doing the WC. Otherwise I use the baster to get what I notice when I am spot feeding the LPS.

I saw some green banded gobies at the LFS yesterday and I thought of you. They were so cute and tiny! Maybe I will get some down the line, I just worry my jawfish will eat them.

You guys are so sweet! I just really want to wait and try to get this algae under control. I'm thinking of switching to distilled water instead. I think my reef cleaner snail population is stabilizing as well, so once the die-off is done, the water quality is under control, and the feeding proportions are in balance...the algae will subside. I still want some for my GBGs, just not as much ;)

You guys just saying that is win enough for me :flower:

Gorgeous pics -- I love the GBG!

Thanks, msscha!!!!! They are sooo much fun to watch. They were being more chummy this morning too fingerscrossed

Hravanii....I would totally recommend you get some, except I don't know how the jawfish would respond either :scarry:

Gena - a di unit is only 34 bucks to add on to your existing r/o + shipping, would be cheaper in the long run, marinedepot has the spectrapure di add ons for cheap, just figured id throw it out there. Also if I'm not mistaken m,arin depot is local to you.

On another note I've been using distilled wallyworld(walmart) water since I started and I've probably spent 400+ in water...coulda gotten an ro/di by now :(

Gena - a di unit is only 34 bucks to add on to your existing r/o + shipping, would be cheaper in the long run, marinedepot has the spectrapure di add ons for cheap, just figured id throw it out there. Also if I'm not mistaken m,arin depot is local to you.

Hmmmm...that's interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

Yep...MD is local. I order and get things next day. It's soo nice :)

On another note I've been using distilled wallyworld(walmart) water since I started and I've probably spent 400+ in water...coulda gotten an ro/di by now :(

Oh yes...I was going to ask you how much you spend per gallon on distilled?

The water I get now is only .30 per gallon and the TDS runs between 6-8. Do you think that's good enough?

.88cent on distilled at walmart. Do you have a low spectrum phosphate test kit? as long as that tds isn't phosphate, silicate or nitrates its probably ok. Have you considered switching from chemipureelite to carbon & rowaphos(removes phates and silicates)

.88cent on distilled at walmart. Do you have a low spectrum phosphate test kit? as long as that tds isn't phosphate, silicate or nitrates its probably ok. Have you considered switching from chemipureelite to carbon & rowaphos(removes phates and silicates)

No, I don't have a phosphate test kit. I'm not running CPE right now. I have Bulk-Reef-Supply GFO and regular carbon. I'll look into the rowaphos too.

I know I'm gonna get where I want to be at some point :)

nevermore1701
No, I don't have a phosphate test kit. I'm not running CPE right now. I have Bulk-Reef-Supply GFO and regular carbon. I'll look into the rowaphos too.

I know I'm gonna get where I want to be at some point :)

Are you seeing any different results with what you're using now vs. CPE and PG?

I do feed frozen, but I rinse it out first. I think I've got a build-up of phosphates in the system from bad habits. I'm pretty sure now that the bad habits have stopped, I just need to wait it out. It may take a few months though. It's definitely not happening overnight for me.

The only other thing I could do at this point is only putting 0 TDS water in the tank. I'm doing everything else right...as far as I can tell :)

Are you seeing any different results with what you're using now vs. CPE and PG?

I just pulled the CPE a few days ago. I don't notice any differences yet.

My birdsnest polyp extension is way better today though :) Not quite it's full potential though.

Archived