squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

its been swell, but the swellings gone.

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2007
  • ηφя сαł

praise is due where its deserved!

i was just looking at that hole in your rockwork. that would make the greatest home for a barnacle blennie, how deep is it?

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

praise is due where its deserved!

i was just looking at that hole in your rockwork. that would make the greatest home for a barnacle blennie, how deep is it?

It goes far back! I'm going to get a tailspot blenny (had one before). I know he'll spend much time in that hole :)

squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

its been swell, but the swellings gone.

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  • Joined 27 Nov 2007
  • ηφя сαł
lol!

great minds think alike.

Rain24

Rain24

What's in the water? Yup...coral.

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
You're making me wish I could already add coral! Loving the mushrooms and the frogspawn. I keep wanting to zoom in on those zoas! Everything looks so nice and clean. I wish my tank didn't look so hairy and green at the moment. :lol:

Can't wait to see your TSB! Is that going to be your first fish?

Reef Rain - A Cube's Life - meet Meg and Ruby!
Still an island girl at heart.

DrReefer

DrReefer

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 13 Feb 2011
  • South Lake Tahoe
Beautiful tank so far! Keep up the good work!
٩(̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶

euphoricgear

euphoricgear

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Joined 28 Mar 2007
  • Burbank
with all that dead rock, be prepared to do lots of water changes. You will have a big cycle coming. :)

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

You're making me wish I could already add coral! Loving the mushrooms and the frogspawn. I keep wanting to zoom in on those zoas! Everything looks so nice and clean. I wish my tank didn't look so hairy and green at the moment. :lol:

Can't wait to see your TSB! Is that going to be your first fish?

Thanks, Rain! You can't see the little ugly stuff that's on the rocks and sand. But,yes....it's much cleaner than when I've started tanks with live rock! I like this a whole lot better :)

Not sure on the fish. I think I might add the clown first. I'm not in a big rush to get fish. They can be a pain in the butt! If I find the right fish though, I won't pass it up.

Beautiful tank so far! Keep up the good work!

Thank you, DrReefer!!!!!

with all that dead rock, be prepared to do lots of water changes. You will have a big cycle coming. :)

Oh...I don't know about that. I already had a big cycle in the beginning with numbers off the charts. It's a new tank, so mini-cycles with new additions are not out of the question. I'm testing everyday to keep an eye on things.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I wasn't planning to add a fish right away, but I saw this little cutie and had to have him. He's a juvie black/white clownfish. I picked him up last Friday. He's eating and swimming around like a champ.

Posted Image

Latest FTS 3-7-11 (1 month old tomorrow).

Posted Image

Rain24

Rain24

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
So pretty! I'm jealous...I would like some coral and fish too! :lol:

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

So pretty! I'm jealous...I would like some coral and fish too! :lol:

Thanks, Rain! I really, really want to see coral and fish in your tank too!!!!!! How's the algae thing going? I had the diatoms and they pretty much went away yesterday. So far so good, as I don't see any other pest algae showing up yet. fingerscrossed I've delt with them all (I think) so I'm just so grateful that it's looking clean thus far. In the past, at this point, I was seeing pest algae popping up.

Cheapreef27

Cheapreef27

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 536 posts
  • Joined 02 Feb 2011
  • Chicago Illinois
This tank is really awesome. I've been wanting to get a leather like that for a while, but my lfs has always "just sold it" when I come in!
:angry:
Baiters gonna bait
Haters gonna hate
Waiters gonna wait
Gators gonna gate
Raters gonna rate
Laters gonna be late
Maters gonna Mate!

its actually not mine. its my brothers, im holding it until it sells.

i'm gonna tweet some #### then eat my tweet which is gunna be a retweet then i'm gonna #### my retweet all ova yo face until you can hear my retweeted #### up yo noise.

dude, it's Saturday. he's probably out bangin' hot chicks on lake michigan or something. patience.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

This tank is really awesome. I've been wanting to get a leather like that for a while, but my lfs has always "just sold it" when I come in!
:angry:

urghhhh! I hate when that happens :rolleyes:

I'm sure eventually you will hit it just right. Thanks for dropping in and commenting :)

Clavius85

Clavius85

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined 28 Dec 2008
  • Lexington, KY
Looks good so far!

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

Looks good so far!

Thank you :) I'm anxious for things to grow in and I'm really digging the easy corals :happy:

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I'm finally starting to see some tiny pods on the back wall and glass. Squirt (the new clown) is happily munching on them. I love when the environment itself can sustain the fish. This will really help when I go on vacations.

Everything is looking good. I may have seen a zoa eating nudie yesterday! Serves me right for not dipping things. I could be wrong though. I'll just have to keep an eye on things. I'm not planning for zoas to be the focus of this tank anyways. I'm going to focus on different varieties of mushrooms.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
CHAETO

Posted Image

Growing nicely in the bottom chamber of my InTank media basket. I had about half that amount in there to start with!!!!!!

cimil

cimil

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Joined 20 Jan 2010
  • The LBC
hey gena

Go here to this post.

http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=265590

nice tank by the way.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
Squirt has himself an excellent routine going. First thing, after lights turn on, he hunts pods. This is great because he can feed himself and then I can feed him in the afternoon!

Here's the little squirt hunting:

Posted Image

In other news, one of my red mushrooms is on the move. It's gone under a rock. I also can't wait until the nimble nanos are back out. The mag-float I have is too big!!!!! Makes the hole tank shutter when I run it across the glass. I can't imagine what that must sound like to Squirt!!!!! I'm sure the little guy is screaming, "my ears!!!!!" :) If he has ears :lol:

Edited by gena, 10 March 2011 - 03:38 PM.

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal
I see that I have quite a few views, but not very many comments :( If you are checking in, and you have an NC12, please let me know. There don't seem to be too many out there, or not too many posting about them.

If you have a thread for your tank, I would love to see it. Send me a link! I'm really impressed with this tank and want to see what others have done with theirs. For instance, I bought a HydorFlo, but it doesn't fit the outflow nozzle. If you have one and are using it, what did you use to make it fit?

Edited by gena, 10 March 2011 - 03:38 PM.

cbandotho

cbandotho

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 606 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2009
My Hydor flow came with several attachment options and one of them was the perfect size. Did you buy yours used?

How are you getting light to the chaeto?

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

My Hydor flow came with several attachment options and one of them was the perfect size. Did you buy yours used?

How are you getting light to the chaeto?

I bought mine brand new! It came with like 5 attachments and none seem to fit. Did you force yours on? I tried each one several times and nada!

I have one of those jbj nano-glo lights (sticks on with a magnet) for the fuge. It does a fantastic job!!!!!

Rain24

Rain24

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
gena, Squirt is looking great! Also, nice chaeto. I need to get some going in my tank eventually. By the way, instead of a Magfloat, why don't you try a Nano-Mag? It's so thin, probably 1/4" thick on the inside part. I have one and love mine. :)

Do you have a lot of pods? I used to, but after the whole rock brushing incident, I seem to have much less. :(

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

gena, Squirt is looking great! Also, nice chaeto. I need to get some going in my tank eventually. By the way, instead of a Magfloat, why don't you try a Nano-Mag? It's so thin, probably 1/4" thick on the inside part. I have one and love mine. :)

Do you have a lot of pods? I used to, but after the whole rock brushing incident, I seem to have much less. :(

Is the Nano-mag the black and white one? If so, I was considering getting one. I had one in the past and the black decorative cover came apart/unglued. It still worked, but that really bothered me. Like it was cheaply made. I think I'm going to hold off and wait for the nimble (they really are the best). Unless we're still months out from getting them.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of pods yet. My fish probably eats about 5 or 6 every morning. He does go to the other side of the tank too and probably finds more over there...I just can't see that side as well. You should definitely have the cheato in your tank. It's nice having 0 nitrates...and I know that the chaeto is a contributing factor.

Rain24

Rain24

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2010
Yup, it's the black and white one. Oh great, now I have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't come unglued. :lol: I ended up getting it because I knew I wouldn't have a nimble nano anytime soon.

I hope that wasn't a zoa eating nudi that you saw. I *just* got a bottle of Coral Rx because I'm itching to start adding something to my tank. I'm not sure how wise it is with the Kent Mag dosing and all that. (Sheesh...I am SUCH a noob! :P)

gena

gena

Some Like It Salty

• Premium Members
  • 15,401 posts
  • Joined 14 Jan 2007
  • SoCal

Yup, it's the black and white one. Oh great, now I have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't come unglued. :lol: I ended up getting it because I knew I wouldn't have a nimble nano anytime soon.

I hope that wasn't a zoa eating nudi that you saw. I *just* got a bottle of Coral Rx because I'm itching to start adding something to my tank. I'm not sure how wise it is with the Kent Mag dosing and all that. (Sheesh...I am SUCH a noob! :P)

I don't think it was a nudi. At least I haven't seen anything since then...who knows????? Hmmmm....it might be wise to wait until you are done raising your mg and it's brought back to normal. Most corals you can just temp. acclimate, but when you have a big difference in mg. it might be more risky. You'd at least have to slowly adjust them to your parameters. I really don't know. I'm just going by what seems right. I'm a noob when it comes to chemistry :D